RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anybody else in this situation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-14, 12:12 PM
recycled
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody else in this situation?

Having just signed up for this board I am wondering if there is anybody like me that does not have a Lexus yet(never had one either) that is waiting to see if the NX is a better fit than an RX 350?

Perhaps I should post this on the NX forum? I know pretty much that the NX will be more $$$ new than a used RX350. Probably it is like comparing apples to oranges...

Likely I am going to wait until Sept. 15 when the NX is on display only. Then I will make the decision whether to wait for the NX or buy a used RX 350.

Anybody?
Cheers, Guy
Old 09-07-14, 03:39 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

IMHO, only you will be able to adequately answer that question for yourself. Personally, I won't even consider a NX--too small for me--and I may NOT like the next gen RX if it grows any bigger.

The current RX fits us perfectly, but I understand why Toyota/Lexus is producing smaller cars: 1) to improve their CAFE numbers, and 2) to appeal to customers who may want/like/need a smaller vehicle.
Old 09-07-14, 03:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Guy. It will be difficult to have someone reading this thread that does not own a Lexus.

With that said, having been in my current 3rd RX, the time has come where the NX better suits my, wife, and two kids' needs. The slightly smaller size, expected better handling and maneuvering, better fuel economy, and sportier looks and DNA are what appeal to me about the NX. In short, if you've noticed my signature, I pre-ordered the NX, which will replace the RX at lease end by end of November/early December.

If you haven't, check out the NX forum which had lots of info including specs and packages. Pricing in Canada (nor US) is not out yet, but expect a low 40Ks Cdn for a 200t base, upper 40Ks F-Sport, to the mid/upper 50Ks for the 300h (comes fully loaded only).
Old 09-08-14, 04:14 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am an owner of an RX450h F Sport and have literally just come back from my dealer after seeing the NX300h F Sport in sonic white. It was an LHD model so not a UK spec, it was euro spec I think.

Initial impressions -

The good -

1 - Sonic White looks insane. Loads of flake and the colour just pops out. I have a new joint favourite colour with infrared (called sonic red over here) and starfire pearl. Its very similiar to starfire pearl just seems to have loads more flake in it and a slightly more blue hue in certain light.

2 - Size is actually very good. Its evidently smaller than the RX, albeit by a tiny margin but if you have an RX you will notice

3 - Love the red and black colour combination of the seats

4 - LED headlights look sophisticated and are very bright.

5 - The attention to detail is up there with the best. Its more GS quality than IS quality. It feels expensive inside.

6 - HTI is much easier and natural to use compared to the RTI on the RX.

The BAD -

1 - Im sorry but the wheel gap is huge! I managed to fit my head in there to have a look at how clean the wheel arches were. Maybe im OCD. Comparing to the RX it is larger by about 2 inches all the way around.

2 - Black plastic around the wheel arches looks pretty bad if im honest. It seems more "cutting corners and costs" than "sporty". Would have preferred black paint instead.

3 - Seats are smaller than the RX and more snug. If you want something comfortable, this may not be the car for you as the seats are pretty much IS size.

4 - Rear lights are not LED! (what were they thinking!?)

5 - Cant seem to get on with the rear of the car from dead centre. It looks very minivan-esque.

6 - Backwards step with the wiper being in full view on the glass compared to hidden on the RX

7 - Legroom is tight in the back in my preferred driving position. Im 6 ft 1 and there is less legroom than in my RX as the seat needs to be pushed further backwards.

8 - Packaging over here sucks. No ML, HUD, 360 degree camera or ventilated seats on the F- Sport models. They are offering panoramic roof due to customer demand however.

9 - Going from an RX to an NX would be a backward step for me due to the lack of features and certain missed out details in the NX. The RX is a better all round vehicle compared to the NX IMO. It seems than the NX is a vehicle to get people into the brand rather than appeal to people already in the brand akin to the CT200h.
Old 09-08-14, 07:07 AM
dwlink
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt many of us would switch to the NX - Toyota's target market for the NX is clearly aimed at a more sporty crowd with less need for space. However, it fills in the gap they've been missing for years in the compact SUV segment. Once it hits the market, Toyota will have a great base of SUVs and should be able to compete better with the X3, Q5, GLA, etc.

Will be interesting to see how the German automakers respond - typically they cut corners on interior build quality in their entry-level SUVs. Wonder if the NX will cause them to step up in this area.