RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus NZ. Am I Expecting Too much ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-14, 01:42 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe an RX is not a good choice in NZ. Landcruser Prado? Those are awesome on poor pavement.

BTW, have you added mudguards yet? That's one of first mods I did to the RX.
Old 09-03-14, 02:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

x10civ, sorry to hear you're having problems with rattles in your 450h. Unfortunately in the dealer's quest to fix them, it could've caused more. Please don't fault them, they're trying to help. Maybe your roads are also partially to blame, causing the RXh to flex. Your latest 'typewriter' sound might be from rocks stuck in the tires. It's happened to me on occasion. I wish you luck in getting it resolved. Please keep us posted.
Old 09-03-14, 02:53 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks again for the replies.

My apologies - I see that my terminology is incorrect regarding the road we travel on Saturdays. Maybe a " chip seal" or "B" road description would be better. The road is sealed and is a 80km/h road [ approx 50mph ]. We did try a Landcruiser Prado - but found it to be rather truck like - not for us. The typewriter sound is not stones in the tyres.

One interesting thing is that one of the invoices for the work done on the car - stated " Re-routed loose wiring loom behind the dash and secured ". Could it be this that is making the noise ?
Old 09-04-14, 07:32 AM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vlad_a
There is no lemon law in the US that will cover a 3-year-old vehicle.
that is not exactly true if I read the "lemon law" link correctly posted by raylor4.
http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

as this probably varies from state to state and country to country if it exists in other countries.

quotes from the link..

"The law applies for the entire period of your warranty. For example, if your vehicle is covered by a three-year warranty and you discover a defect after two years, the manufacturer will have to replace the vehicle or reimburse you as outlined above if the manufacturer or its representative is unable to conform the vehicle to the express warranty after a reasonable number of attempts to do so."

"Although there is a four-year statute of limitations to bring a law suit for breach of warranty or for violations of Song-Beverly, you should act promptly to try to resolve the problem fairly and quickly without legal action if possible."

FWIW, I'm not the typical californian / american that's sue happy and ready to place blame on someone besides myself. I don't think what the OP is having issues with is a small problem since the vehicle has been in the dealership multiple times (starting a year after being bought) over multiple years for the same issues without being completely resolved. If I had paid $50k+ for a vehicle, I would expect it to be without rattles,. My $26k KIA Sportage AWD has no rattles after 3 years. My current RX AWD has no rattles either thank goodness.

On another note, I believe the dealership is trying to rectify the rattling issues, but some cars have inherent problems that just can't be fixed. IMO, this is the case here. I would definitely try to do more than eat dirt.

To the OP, good luck with whatever you do and keep us updated.
Old 09-04-14, 07:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

I stand corrected then. I have only looked into a few states laws, and I'm well-versed in Ohio in particular. It has a time limit of 12 months.
Old 09-04-14, 08:05 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vlad_a
There is no lemon law in the US that will cover a 3-year-old vehicle.
No, and there should not be I was thinking that the vehicle was new. For a new car, I stand by my post. For a 3 year old car, a different story

Never mind, I too stand corrected. Good law! We all deserve a trouble free car for our $$$.
Old 09-04-14, 08:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

In NJ, Lemon Law is 2 years or 24K miles, whichever comes first. But I believe it changed since my case some years ago. States do vary. Usually there's a booklet included with the owners manuals outlining available options in situations like this. I would seek resolution through those means if the dealer is uncooperative. For me, the dealers (five total) and regional manager were as much of the problem as the vehicle itself. leaving me no choice. That's not the case here but it doesn't mean the rattles shouldn't be fixed. It might be a matter of finding that mutually acceptable solution.
Old 09-04-14, 08:56 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

going back to the rattle situation and I will admit that I am still just as lost with the clarification in terminology.

Any rattles i've ever been associated with are not confined to one road. The typewriter sound scenario does sound like something is loose and when going over this particular bumpy road, it jars it; causing it to 'flap' up and down against the metal body (typewriter like).

lol on a separate note, it's so weird that most people under 25 reading this would have absolutely no idea what an actual typewriter sound would be.

Believe most of the other types of rattles people complain about here are more consistent (and seemingly more annoying).

Could be wrong but just giving an opinion.
Old 09-04-14, 09:04 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by x10civ
Thanks again for the replies.

My apologies - I see that my terminology is incorrect regarding the road we travel on Saturdays. Maybe a " chip seal" or "B" road description would be better. The road is sealed and is a 80km/h road [ approx 50mph ]. We did try a Landcruiser Prado - but found it to be rather truck like - not for us. The typewriter sound is not stones in the tyres.

One interesting thing is that one of the invoices for the work done on the car - stated " Re-routed loose wiring loom behind the dash and secured ". Could it be this that is making the noise ?
It is possible for a wire loom to be hitting a panel somewhere inside, but again is a pain to diagnose.

I paid a close attention to our RX last night and I could not hear any rattles. Of course, our roads are pretty smooth. The only complaint I have is the moonroof creaking when opened. My IS300 moonroof has creaked occasionally for the entire time I had it. I might have fixed a few potential rattled in my IS300 while I was modding the electronics.

And you really get an appreciation for how well these vehicles are built once you start taking them apart. If you look at wire looms and harnesses, as to how they are mounted and insulated, you will be very pleasantly surprised. Even the length of connectors for the gas tank and trunk open buttons is precise so buttons would align perpendicular to the panel (there are 6 connectors total).

P.S.
Now that I think about it, there was a squeaking noise coming out around windshield in our RX this winter, which got me really upset. Then I realized it was the plastic cover outside, on the bottom of the windshield that was making this noise. It only happened during abnormally cold days, when we hit -8F (-22C) degrees.
Old 09-04-14, 01:04 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Once again thank you very much for all your comments and feedback.

I picked up the car this morning. They have sepnt 12.5 hours on the car... Here is what the paperwork said they have done this time..

Secured l/f windscreen "A" pillar trim. Road tested for rattles. Removed l/h interior "A" pillar trim, glovebox, gear lever surround and dash. Placed felt around all plastic joints, dash mounting points and air con ducting.
Placed felt on the glovebox latches. Packed foam around the ECU that was creating a buzzing noise. Tightened interior mirror mounting point. Seperated the gear lever clear cover and lubricated the mounting points. Refitted all removed parts and road tested to confirm all rattles are gone. Refitted.

Will see how it performs when I take my son swimming tomorrow and post back !

BTW: So far that is 53.55 hours the dealer has spent trying to cure these rattles ....

Last edited by x10civ; 09-04-14 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 06:40 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Took my son swimming and the Rattles are still there. ...
Old 09-05-14, 08:09 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Like a bad penny Damn. That is one stubborn car.
Old 09-05-14, 10:32 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by x10civ
Took my son swimming and the Rattles are still there. ...
Maybe the car needs to go swimming with the fishes.
Old 09-06-14, 09:53 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raylor4
Maybe the car needs to go swimming with the fishes.
Best response
Old 09-07-14, 12:20 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Just an update - I sent yet another email as follows:

The 12.5 hours the technicians spent on the car has not helped.
Thus far the car has had in excess of 53 hours spent trying to cure rattles that should not be there.
I would like to reinforce that we purchased the car for the right reasons – build quality, quietness, safety and the infamous reliability of the Lexus brand.
Based on our experience with this particular car - our faith in Lexus to remedy these issues is rock bottom.
53 hours + must be a record ?
We - the consumer, bought in good-faith - what should have been a good, high quality car with quality service.
From our experiences – of which here are multiple examples - Lexus has failed us and failed to deliver.
We have bought something but have not received it, leaving an empty, disgusted, dis-satisfied feeling. If you were in my shoes I doubt you would be happy ?
It is the most expensive car to date we have purchased, but also the worst. One would have thought a more expensive car would be better ? This Lexus example negates this theory.
We invested a lot of money in our new family Lexus car and at no point did we ever dream we would have such a long, dreadful experience.
Hopefully the examples and experiences will assist Lexus on providing the level of service that is acceptable to the customer and what the customer expects.
Our whole Lexus ownership experience is most dis-appointing to say the least. I hope nobody else has any similar experiences as us - as it is truly unacceptable.
We have been most patient with the resolution process and being positive people we believe and hope that Lexus NZ will do what is right in this case.

BTW: My wife reminded me - that when we originally picked the car up - the salesman sat on the passengers seat to show us how the nav system works.
Upon showing us - the salesman vigorously pushed on the display screen several times - only then to realize - oh this isn't a touchscreen model is it ?

I guess we have to book the car in again as it still rattles .

Quick Reply: Lexus NZ. Am I Expecting Too much ?