RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Lexus NZ. Am I Expecting Too much ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 02:23 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lexus NZ. Am I Expecting Too much ?

Back in 2011 we purchased a RX450h from Lexus of Northshore Auckland, New Zealand.

Here is my journey so far - Am I expecting too much ? Sorry for such a lengthy post - but I needed to air my concerns..

I have sent a letter to the head of Lexus NZ as follows:

I am sorry to disturb you - but thought as you are the Head of Lexus NZ - that I would bring the following Lexus experience to your attention. When we purchased our Lexus - we were sold a car based on the Lexus build quality, quietness, safety and the infamous reliability of the Lexus brand. Our experience has been rather different as follows:

Back in August 2011 we purchased a RX450h. Upon collection of the car
in the showroom - we were told that the "keyless entry" was not
working correctly. The boot was open and the technician had his
handheld diagnostics unit plugged in to the car. We waited around for
quite some time and our car was taken to the workshop. Some time
later - our car showed up and we were told that the doors were working
fine now - and that the car was getting the wrong signal from the
other car keys stored under the stairs and that car was ok. Upon
inspection of the car - we found the rear bumper scuff guard to have
been installed non central ? We were told they would order another
and have it replaced.. A small hiccup we thought...

THE FACTS: NB: These are Lexus invoices for the work carried out.

13.08.2012 - Checked for a rattle from the hood lining area. Removed the overhead console and put extra felt patches in the affected area. Road tested all ok.

25.09.2012 - Checked for rattles, found various rattles. Removed the roof trim, centre console trim and packed it with felt. Removed the dash pad and applied packing to dash clips and lubed clips. Removed wiper and wiper tray plastic cover. Lubricated mounting joints and applied packing to shock covers. Refitted all removed parts and road, all ok.

22.08.2013 - Rectified loose l/f screen moulding. Rectified rattle from centre dash area, found the centre speaker cover to be the cause.

07.11.2013 - Checked for rattles from the centre dash area. Road tested the vehicle and heard the rattles. Removed the centre dash panels etc and road tested to find noise has gone. Refitted the removed panels fitting packing and lubricating the mounting clips when assembling. Road tested and confirmed the noise has gone.

28.11.2013 - Checked for rattle from dash, road tested and confirmed rattle from dash area. Removed several dash panels and refit them using foam and felt. Panels removed were surround for multi display, centre air vent and centre speaker cover, inside wiper tray and 2 outer plastic panels. Road tested again to confirm fault has gone.

03.12.2013 - Checked for rattle from dash area. Road tested for rattles and confirmed fault. Removed dash panels and stereo unit. Road tested for rattles. Added felt packing around edges of stereo and some panels. Refitted stereo and dash panels etc. Road tested and went along the same road customer hears the rattles, no rattles heard.

05.02.2014 - Replaced rear interior light bulb. Removed the centre rear seat to cure rattle when driving along on rough roads.

24.04.2014 - Checked for rattle from dash area. Found the noise to be coming from where the wiper motor is mounted in the engine bay. Packed foam to insulate the motor and road tested all ok.

30.05.2014 - Checked for dash rattles. Placed foam between overhead display and dash board. Secured front rego plate. Checked and tightened nuts, bolts around wiper assembly. Remove centre console display unit and refit, tighten loose screw, Re-routed loose wiring loom behind the dash and secured. Refitted all removed items. Road tested several times and no noises heard.

20140819 - Road tested for rattles. Lubricated rear hatch and refit hatch panel from LH side. Lubricated rear seats with leather cleaner. Road test.ok. Note; Clip from rear seats upholstery cover, will need to rebook (allow one day) figure out where clip has come from ( front or rear) warranty.
Technician accidently ran over Rubber boot liner (broken) have ordered new will arrive 20.08.2014.

-------------------------------------------------

We have been patient - having returned the car several times. We have 2 x children so our time is limited. Now we need to return it again for Lexus to take the seats out and find out where the missing clip goes. I should point out that the rear seat has never made noises and was shocked when they had told me the rear seats had been removed - to cure the rattles ? Now they have remove the rear seat and put the clip back that in my opinion should never have been taken out in the first place.
Thus far the car has had in excess of 39 hours spent trying to cure rattles that should not be there. It is most disappointing that having purchased a new car that we have to return it on a regular basis for the same re-occurring issues.

The jibes and jokes about the Lexus quality from our co-workers, family and friends all add to the equation - neither of which is good for us or indeed any future Lexus customers. Additionally we have child seats in the rear of the car - which take approximately 10 mins to take out and install each time the car is returned or picked up. Dirty courtesy cars with sweet wrappers and grass in the rear of the car, our car having fingerprints on the front window and dash and some other minor annoyances as we understand life is not perfect. I do however think that when a customer purchases a new Lexus car they should not be put through this experience. It is far from the pursuit of perfection - and the whole saga thus far has left us feeling rather deflated....

I should also point out - that as there now appears to be so much felt & foam pads in the car now - and also with the parts of the dash having been removed several times - I wonder if the car will be be "right" and wonder what Lexus's policy is on cars that exhibit these defects and how I as the consumer stand in relation to this? i.e. if when after the 4 years warranty expires and car is still plagued by rattles [ thus far - Lexus have not been able to remedy ] ...can I bring the car back free of charge? or should I pay for these once the car is out of warranty ?

I would appreciate your comments if you have time. Enjoy your day.

Best Regards

BTW: During the last service - they also replaced the rear shock as they were leaking ? The car is only 3 years old having covered only 31,000km..
Old 09-01-14, 08:20 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm so sorry you are having these problems. I know "hope" is not a plan, but I hope things get cleared up for you in a satisfactory manner.
PS I like your user name, "Extensive"
Old 09-01-14, 08:53 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Thanks for your kind words. You are correct -there is always hope !

Latest update is as follows:

After collection of the car today - within a minute of driving the car - a typists typewriter sound coming from the dash - on the passenger side that has re-emerged ...

It didn't sound this bad prior to the seat removal and replacement ?

I have booked the car in again for them to have yet another look at this ongoing issue.

Once again - it is most disappointing ....
Old 09-01-14, 10:29 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems like you are having problems with rattles or small noises. Here is my experience. After picking up my 2010 450h, I noticed a few small rattles. Usually when hitting some rough area on the road. I asked my daughter to help me locate and remove them. Most people may not have paid much attention to them, but I drive without my radio on frequently in very quiet conditions. It took us about 17 months to chase down and remove every one. We would find one and then a few months later come back and find the next one. I will NEVER purchase another Lexus without an extensive test drive of the specific car again. Lexus tends to deliver your new Lexus by prepping it and making a big deal of the transfer process. The one thing that is missing is a real shake down test drive on the specific car you are purchasing. In the future, I will at some point in the purchase process really try and take the car on a drive to isolate rattles. I won't buy another Lexus without doing this ... even after removing the rattles, my faith has been really damaged in Lexus and the luxury car concept. I also purchased a Subaru Outback for fun outdoor activities that were not ideal for a luxury car and guess what ... no rattles; even though it cost a little more than half as much as the 450h.

Oh ... there is no way I would have let the dealer try to find these rattles by ripping my new car apart.

Last edited by UCSB; 09-01-14 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 06:15 AM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To the OP, I feel it is time for you to get out of this car and enjoy in a different one. I for one don't think that the car is fixable to factory standards by any dealer. Especially with the innumerable foam paddings of the dash, I'm sure those rattles will return with a vengeance right after the warranty period is up.
Yes patience is a virtue, and hope is plan C, but life is too short not to enjoy a new car (apparently your's was a new car). Get one which you enjoy....of course after an extensive test drive.
Old 09-02-14, 07:42 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by pamiboy
To the OP, I feel it is time for you to get out of this car and enjoy in a different one. I for one don't think that the car is fixable to factory standards by any dealer. Especially with the innumerable foam paddings of the dash, I'm sure those rattles will return with a vengeance right after the warranty period is up.
Yes patience is a virtue, and hope is plan C, but life is too short not to enjoy a new car (apparently your's was a new car). Get one which you enjoy....of course after an extensive test drive.
I agree. I notice you keep doing the same thing over and over and keep getting the same result. You obviously have a high regard for Lexus and they have let you down. I recommend changing horses in the middle of the stream.
Old 09-02-14, 07:48 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

@UCSB, when we had '09 Outback, I was very pleasantly surprised at the lack of rattles. That was one of great things about it. And it was the last "family car" on the market available with a stick shift. Too bad we couldn't keep it for long term for reasons I'm not at liberty to say. I will however, say that, from my personal observation, the build quality of a Japan originated Toyota surpasses that of a Subaru.

@OP, the rattles can be a pain to deal with. It seems the dealer is going out of its way to find and fix them. You should see the extend Toyota goes through to to put foam over every piece of wiring to prevent such thing in the first place. Personally, I would rather live with the rattles (or find and take care of them), than have a tech tear down my car.
As far as a leaking rear shocks, unfortunately we have seen a few occurrences of these. If you drive on rougher roads, you may be more likely to experience this problem.
I do know what it is like to deal with child seats. That is the reason why our Outback was replaced with a Prius and then with the RX450h. The only problem our RX450h was in for service for had to do with the Navigation system.
Old 09-02-14, 03:48 PM
x10civ
Rookie

Thank you very much for all your feedback UCSB, Pamiboy, Raylor4 and Vlad_a.
Much appreciated.
Looks like I made the mistake of letting the dealer try and cure these rattles - when I should have done this myself...

Of course you are right - the logical thing to do is change my car.

I must say - that based on my experience with this particular car - my faith in Lexus and the dealer Lexusofnorthshore in Auckland to fix these ongoing issues is obviously misplaced.

Most dis-appointing indeed !

Last edited by x10civ; 09-02-14 at 05:11 PM.
Old 09-03-14, 06:23 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by x10civ
Thank you very much for all your feedback UCSB, Pamiboy, Raylor4 and Vlad_a.
Much appreciated.
Looks like I made the mistake of letting the dealer try and cure these rattles - when I should have done this myself...

Of course you are right - the logical thing to do is change my car.

I must say - that based on my experience with this particular car - my faith in Lexus and the dealer Lexusofnorthshore in Auckland to fix these ongoing issues is obviously misplaced.

Most dis-appointing indeed !
Wouldn't it more fair to have your faith misplaced based on a larger sample size. Can understand having to have to deal with a minor annoyance such as rattles but compare your complaints with drivers on other forum and I think you'll see how your issue pale in comparison.

As was stated, the dealer seems to trying to do everything possible to find this rattle for you and make you happy. The vehicle is the one not cooperating, the dealer (Lexus) is. There are numerous threads on here dealing with vehicle rattle and some people have been able to come up with a cure. If one cannot be found and it is that bothersome to you, there are enough loyalists that exist here to where it's worth giving another vehicle a shot to meet your expectations.
Old 09-03-14, 08:12 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, a simple answer to this would be that Lexus, and other fine cars, simply ADMIT that once in awhile, for whatever reasons, a car is less than what one expects and deserves. In this case, such as numerous cheap assed rattles that your average Ford Escape does not have and cannot be fixed despite numerous tries, that this would simply come under the lemon law and they would be obligated to give you a different car. Let THEM deal with the rattles!

Because all the other Lexus drivers get a car with no rattles, why shouldn't the OP?

In business, sometimes a business has to take a loss to make a customer happy. Just the way it is. LORD KNOWS Lexus makes enough money.
Old 09-03-14, 11:14 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Default Lemon Law

Originally Posted by CapeDave
You know, a simple answer to this would be that Lexus, and other fine cars, simply ADMIT that once in awhile, for whatever reasons, a car is less than what one expects and deserves. In this case, such as numerous cheap assed rattles that your average Ford Escape does not have and cannot be fixed despite numerous tries, that this would simply come under the lemon law and they would be obligated to give you a different car. Let THEM deal with the rattles!

Because all the other Lexus drivers get a car with no rattles, why shouldn't the OP?

In business, sometimes a business has to take a loss to make a customer happy. Just the way it is. LORD KNOWS Lexus makes enough money.
I too thought of the lemon law. I Googled it and it's not so in NZ, like here in the US.
FWIW, here is an overview of the California Lemon Law. It probably varies from state to state. http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon
Old 09-03-14, 11:26 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

There is no lemon law in the US that will cover a 3-year-old vehicle.
Old 09-03-14, 11:31 AM
x10civ
Rookie

Thanks again for all the replies.

Looks like I may have left it too long then. Guess this is a really expensive lesson for me and I do understand there are lots of other happy Lexus customers out there....
Old 09-03-14, 11:43 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Spend some time here researching the potential causes, it may be beneficial.

Just cuirous.

When the service tech advised that the rattles were gone; did you concur with that assessment and then the rattles returned at a later date? You had month in between service appointments so i'm wondering if there was ever a non rattle time?
Old 09-03-14, 11:52 AM
x10civ
Rookie

The rattles seemed to disappear for a few days....but then returned. What I have failed to tell you is that the annoying typewriter sound was normally heard on a Saturday. ..when we travel down a loose chip road to take our son swimming....that road is more bumpy than the standard roads.

Quick Reply: Lexus NZ. Am I Expecting Too much ?