RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to know if RX I am buying has HID?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-14, 01:26 PM
nimit1234
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to know if RX I am buying has HID?

It has projector headlights, has heated and cooled seating... but I called dealer and they couldn't tell me from the spec sheet if it had HIDs.

One this I noticed is that ALL NAV vehicles have HIDs.... is is possible to get a NON-NAV car with HIDs, do any of you have a non navigation rx with HIDS?

Ive tried to search, and the thread that tells the difference one of the pictures is down. TIA.
Old 09-01-14, 01:47 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What year? 10-12 if.I'm not mistaken..the HID version the projector clear lens is on the inner side of the headlight (closest to the grill) where as the halogen projector is on the outter part of the headlight.

Can you look at the car? If so turn the lights on if they are yellow they are halogen if they are blue/white/slight yellow..its HID
Also not sure why dealer can't tell ya..that's uncalled for

Here is 10-12 difference:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-third-generation/507315-rx-350-headlight-housing-i-have-noticed-it-comes-in-different-configurations.html#post5563402

Last edited by greeknasty; 09-01-14 at 01:53 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 02:52 PM
KevinJLR
Driver School Candidate

If you still need to know, PM me your vin and I can look it up. I work in the parts department.
Old 09-05-14, 04:45 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How about just turning on the lights? If you cannot tell the difference between hid and halogen lights then it won't matter.
Old 12-07-14, 02:04 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

I have a 2012 model with halogens.. can I have a hid kit installed using the stock projectors?
Old 12-07-14, 02:56 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 818sc400
I have a 2012 model with halogens.. can I have a hid kit installed using the stock projectors?
if you have the $ you can do anything
but in simple, no
you would need to retrofit it. you cant just stick a HID bulb/ballast into a halogen projector housing. you will end up with terrible lighting
Old 12-07-14, 05:19 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greeknasty
if you have the $ you can do anything
but in simple, no
you would need to retrofit it. you cant just stick a HID bulb/ballast into a halogen projector housing. you will end up with terrible lighting
Couldn't the kit be installed into the projector part of the housing?

The 1RX's had HID's without projectors, and while I agree having a projector is far better, they still did their job.
Old 12-07-14, 06:56 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

Would it be that terrible? I mean it couldn't be worse than halogens can it?
Old 12-07-14, 07:06 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by justin1203
Couldn't the kit be installed into the projector part of the housing?

The 1RX's had HID's without projectors, and while I agree having a projector is far better, they still did their job.
are you referring to completely removing the projector or what?

you can check this thread out for some more definitive answers..

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ogen-projector
Old 12-08-14, 11:53 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by 818sc400
Would it be that terrible? I mean it couldn't be worse than halogens can it?
HIDs and Halogens have different focus points. Think of Halogens having a spiral heat-up and work as small source of light. Now, HIDs light up the entire bulb. The result of putting an HID bulb into a halogen housing is the light is dispersed everywhere! You know those people, you've seen them on the road. They blind everyone around and get very little light on the road. Please, don't be one of them.

Also, HIDs happen to be much brighter than halogens, so many manufacturers put auto level adjustment mechanisms to point the light in the right way. That's one more thing that will be missing.

Retrofits are possible. The best ones I've seen take a donor projector from another vehicle and replace the original. No self-leveling, but very good results. Lots of work, though.
Old 12-08-14, 05:39 PM
justin1203
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greeknasty
are you referring to completely removing the projector or what?

you can check this thread out for some more definitive answers..

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...ogen-projector
Sorry, perhaps I'm totally off base here. I was under the impression that those of us with 3RX's without HID's (with the projectors on the outside), could installed an HID kit and install the HID bulbs inside the projectors similar to how they are done on the RX's that come with them from the factory?

I happened to be one of those people who installed HID's in their vehicle without projectors (an old '03 Corolla S I had) , HOWEVER, I purposely pointed them down farther than the standard pointing so that I would not be blinding anyone, and get the best ligthingof out my HID's. Don't recall the company (all I remember was they were in Cali), but the kit was easy to install and worked extremely well on those pitch black country roads. I see a lot more people doing this test days (guess the kits got much cheaper), and yeah, they're usually pointed too high and blind the majority of us
Old 12-09-14, 06:57 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by justin1203
Sorry, perhaps I'm totally off base here. I was under the impression that those of us with 3RX's without HID's (with the projectors on the outside), could installed an HID kit and install the HID bulbs inside the projectors similar to how they are done on the RX's that come with them from the factory?

I happened to be one of those people who installed HID's in their vehicle without projectors (an old '03 Corolla S I had) , HOWEVER, I purposely pointed them down farther than the standard pointing so that I would not be blinding anyone, and get the best ligthingof out my HID's. Don't recall the company (all I remember was they were in Cali), but the kit was easy to install and worked extremely well on those pitch black country roads. I see a lot more people doing this test days (guess the kits got much cheaper), and yeah, they're usually pointed too high and blind the majority of us

i do know what you mean re; those dark country roads. i bought sylvania h11cool blue lights for my rx. didnt put them in yet, but every halogen car i ever put them in in the past. i never had any problems seeing on those dark roads after that. quite honestly, my hid`s in the past really didnt impress me that much.
Old 12-09-14, 08:08 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

Duplicate post
Old 12-09-14, 08:09 PM
818sc400
Lead Lap

Ok so are there any halogen bulbs I can get then thag are atleast white? The yellow/orange color sucks
Old 12-10-14, 05:41 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

You guys do know that you can buy hid bulbs that are capped on the end so that you would not blind people on the road when installed in a non HID light housing or non hid projector housing. Theretrofitsource.com sells these. Works great back in the day when i was a poor college student and driving a old beater 2001 Honda Accord, gave that car to my dad when i bought a new car and at189,000 the transmission is starting to give up, but the hids on her still running strong.

Quick Reply: How to know if RX I am buying has HID?