RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Odd Cell Phone Behavior

Old 08-23-14, 11:22 AM
skeptocrat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd Cell Phone Behavior

We got our 2014 RX 350 in late February. My Samsung Galaxy S4 phone connected up with BlueTooth right away and worked fine until about three weeks ago. Now it rather regularly disconnects and then reconnects several times whenever I start out on a trip.

Anyone have an Idea what happened? I cannot raise Samsung yet and Verizon claims no responsibility.

I have only one phone registered and have redone that to no success.
Old 08-23-14, 11:47 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had similar trouble with my S3 and new Sportage only the phone would reset shortly after leaving home. I blamed it on a new 64 GB SD card and went back to the old 32GB card with similar results, called Verizon and got a replacement phone, PITA to get it all set up again, and still had the problem.

After MUCH reading and research I found the AT&T home phone voice mail app was causing the problem. Every time the phone went from WiFi to 4G it would restart the phone. Emailed the app developer, deleted the app and shortly after got an email that they had fixed the app, reinstalled the new version and all was well. This whole process took weeks and was very frustrating.

So, you might want to look at what app you have installed or updated recently and delete or go back to the older version and see if that solves the problem. Check the app reviews and see if other folks are reporting a similar issue. Phone firmware update? Some apps that worked fine with the older firmware may not behave with the new.

Lots of players involved in these issues and it is very difficult to see where the problem/blame lies.
Old 08-25-14, 11:46 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by skeptocrat
We got our 2014 RX 350 in late February. My Samsung Galaxy S4 phone connected up with BlueTooth right away and worked fine until about three weeks ago. Now it rather regularly disconnects and then reconnects several times whenever I start out on a trip.

Anyone have an Idea what happened? I cannot raise Samsung yet and Verizon claims no responsibility.

If you have recently updated your phone to KitKat, then that is your issue. There seems to be a bluetooth issue with KitKat and Samsungs (mainly). The only work arounds I know of (until the phone companies come out with an update to fix this issue) is to do one of the following:
1. Delete car from phone and phone from car. Repair but do not accept the messaging (MAP) request. This will of course mean you won't get texts through the car. You can accept the contact request.
2. Unpair everything and delete all of your texts. Repair and accept the messaging request. I have heard of apps to backup your texts but haven't tried any personally so I can't vouch for that.
Old 08-25-14, 08:47 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by offroad200
If you have recently updated your phone to KitKat, then that is your issue...
We are probably both moving to S5s the end of October, so I guess we will be dealing with this then. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-01-14, 01:22 PM
skeptocrat
Driver School Candidate

My phone is on KitKat but has been for months no with no problems. I ail have to see about what apps I have updated about the time the problem started. One was an SMS blocker that I don't actually use. I will delete it and see if anything changes.

Everything still works fine connecting to my house phone system.

I also get the message that "update failed" or something like that.
Old 11-16-14, 01:48 PM
krismorr8
Driver School Candidate

Any tricks to better connect my iPhone to my RX350? Hate having to speak each number out loud when making a call - wish I could just say the persons' name to call! Presets seem to work okay for a few numbers
Old 11-16-14, 03:38 PM
harleybob
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2015 rx 350. I have a Samsung galaxy 5. All has been good up till last week.I still get incoming text messages but I have to go in to get them under messages. They at not popping up on the main screen as the messages come in. Not sure what's going on.
Old 11-16-14, 07:14 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Is your phone the only thing connected via Bluetooth? My RX is 5 years + old now and I remember it went through a phase similar to that several years ago. It's fine now. I think it was when I was playing with using my iPod on Bluetooth at the same time. It's fine now and the iPod is connected through USB and the phone (Galaxy S5) through Bluetooth. Often both are connected through USB to keep the phone charged, it all works as it should.
Originally Posted by skeptocrat

Old 11-17-14, 11:51 AM
skeptocrat
Driver School Candidate

Default The solution for me

The dealer and I were able to finally determine that the Bluetooth module in my radio had failed. The radio and all was replaced under warranty and all works "fine" now. The only remaining wrinkle is that you have to pair the phone without messaging features since that is a known problem with the Lexus/Android combination. The fingers are pointing past me from all directions so I do not expect a fix any time soon. I am not supposed to text and drive at the same time anyway.

Voice control does not work well in any car I know about and Lexus is no exception. I recommend learning how to drive and use the mouse thingy at the same time. I can always disconnect the phone and use its voice commands - they work real well!