RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Nav and DVD lockout

Old 08-22-14, 10:32 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
I would think they could design that in. The seat belt system seems to know when someone is in the passenger seat which could in turn unlock the Nav system. Admittedly a heavy brief case on the seat would fool the system.
There are so many things they could have done to make the OEM nav even half as useful as a $80 handheld, yet they didn't.
Old 08-22-14, 10:42 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

And if it weren't for litigation in US, we'd be able to do this by now:
Old 08-22-14, 10:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
I would think they could design that in. The seat belt system seems to know when someone is in the passenger seat which could in turn unlock the Nav system. Admittedly a heavy brief case on the seat would fool the system.
I read this in an online Car and Driver article today about the Cadillac CTS Vsport:

He also liked that CUE allows occupants to pair Bluetooth devices while the car is in motion, provided that you press the key indicating that a passenger, and not the driver, is doing the pairing. And the CTS is smart enough to disregard a button push when there’s not someone—or at least a sack of potatoes—buckled into the passenger seat.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review

It seems the Cadillac system can do exactly what you suggest.
Old 08-22-14, 11:43 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The SRX was in the running for us. I liked it better than my wife did and the RX is "her" car. Reliability was the big deciding factor. I knew if I pushed her in that direction and we ever had a problem I'd get the look. Not worth it.
Old 08-22-14, 11:54 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tom558
The SRX was in the running for us. I liked it better than my wife did and the RX is "her" car. Reliability was the big deciding factor. I knew if I pushed her in that direction and we ever had a problem I'd get the look. Not worth it.
Considering how much automotive journalists hate the Cue, I would say, it's a wash.
Old 08-22-14, 12:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
We had an SRX for a rental car prior to our purchase and did like it, in particular the exterior styling and the panoramic sunroof. However, we hated CUE and the complete HVAC interface, and the rear cargo area was too small, as it would only fit our jogging stroller and little else.

I've been surprised though, with how much I like our RX. It was definitely the right choice for us.
Old 08-22-14, 12:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The only litigation that might happen would be initiated by the family members of a person killed by a distracted driver. Of course that's in addition to any criminal penalties. There's your personal accountability, after the fact I have to agree with Jim. Install an override at your own risk. But also remember the other drivers who can be potentially affected by your decisions every time you get behind the wheel.

Per the Lexus Navigation System Owner's Manual, "The first priority while driving should always be the safe operation of the vehicle." The system is designed with that in mind. Sure, it would be nice to have something like Cadillac where a passenger could enter an address. I can just see all the people finding a way to get around the switch Defeats the purpose IMO. Lexus has built in their own workarounds with voice commands, Destination Assist, and the ability to access folders with destinations pre-entered and prior destinations, all while moving, with some limitations. It is what it is. Any further criticisms should be posted here.
Old 08-22-14, 12:31 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Anita,

I disagree. Litigation can come from anywhere.
Here's Ford and GM under fire for having a CD ripping feature:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/...r-music-piracy

Never mind the government getting involved in safety-related incidents. We all remember too well unintended acceleration that Toyota had to deal with when Chrysler and GM were being bailed-out by our government.

Then there are class action suits on behalf of owners for potential issues. I got $125 settlement check for not having a brake override in my IS.
Old 08-22-14, 01:11 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I read this in an online Car and Driver article today about the Cadillac CTS Vsport:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-update-review

It seems the Cadillac system can do exactly what you suggest.
Darn and I thought I was going to make a million off of my idea! LOL