RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Nav and DVD lockout

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 01:54 PM
royalleade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nav and DVD lockout

Hello. I just bought a 2015 RX350 with navigation a couple of weeks ago and I see it is mostly locked out when driving. I have been searching the forums and googling for a solution to override the lockout, but have only come across an additional hardware purchase for 2014 model to overcome this issue. Does anyone have a way to override the lockout without a hardware purchase?
Thanks.
Old 08-21-14, 07:01 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

You can put a switch on the speed sensor wire that goes to the Nav. The parking brake wire can be grounded as well for DVD playback.
The Nav will not be tracking your location while the speed sensor is disconnected. Bread crumbs will not show during that time and turn-by-turn navigation will be disabled.
That's pretty much what the aftermarket unit does.
Old 08-21-14, 01:11 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

On my 2012, the verbal commands work while moving, so I haven't found this to be a problem.
Old 08-21-14, 01:14 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

On my 2013, verbal commands don't work, whether stationary, moving or performing any other tricks. They just suck. I just use Siri on my iPhone. Hence why there's Seri Eyes Free for 14+.
Old 08-21-14, 01:20 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by vlad_a
On my 2013, verbal commands don't work, whether stationary, moving or performing any other tricks. They just suck. I just use Siri on my iPhone. Hence why there's Seri Eyes Free for 14+.

On the 2012, first I have to press the map button on the console and then hit enter that I read the warning. Then I do a verbal command "Destination" and it prompts me through the address.
Old 08-21-14, 01:34 PM
royalleade
Driver School Candidate

Does this mean there is no option like there was on the older nav systems when you would go into the secret services menu and override the setting??? Someone must know something. Please share...
Old 08-21-14, 03:55 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There are no 'secret' services menu that override the settings. Let me ask, so you have an idea why they're there? For obvious reasons it's required. If so, why would you want to override it?

Welcome to the forum BTW, but you're 1st two posts are all about overriding the system. We can help in a lot of ways but not in things against the laws. As previously mentioned, you can program a destination with oral commands and your steering wheel buttons while driving. Not as distracting as entering it using the screen.
Originally Posted by royalleade
Does this mean there is no option like there was on the older nav systems when you would go into the secret services menu and override the setting??? Someone must know something. Please share...
Old 08-21-14, 04:19 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
...but not in things against the laws.
Is this a law we are talking about or Toyota/Lexus CYA? Folks deal with their GPS units while driving all the time. There is a law in CA against talking on the phone without a handsfree device and texting but nothing about using the GPS system.

What about the passenger. The NAV system search and editing features are very limited when the car is moving even if the passenger is using the system.

My first reaction to this question was a bit like yours, but then I thought of all the times the nav system has frustrated us while driving I have been following this thread with interest.

We will renew the Destination Assist service and one of the reasons is the limitation of searching while the RX is moving. Maybe more Destination Assist subscriptions is the reason for the restrictions.
Old 08-21-14, 05:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

California passed a law last year last year making it illegal to program a destination into portable GPS or cell phone while driving. A built-in navigation system is essentially no different. It can still cause distraction. Lexus removed that possibility by having the lockout. And they're not alone. Now I've used voice command a few times. It was quite easy to do which is surprising since we know the nav lady doesn't like women. Just last weekend I entered a destination less than two miles away. It worked perfectly and was much quicker than entering it manually.

If you still want to have nav override, you'll have to go aftermarket.
Old 08-21-14, 07:00 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Oops, I guess it is illegal for the DRIVER to program the GPS while driving and, legal or not, I am not a fan or a proponent. of the driver doing much other than driving.

The problem with the Toyota/Lexus system is it locks out the passenger also. I'm just looking for a way for my wife or I to use the nav features as a passenger while driving both to find locations (the list is very limited when moving) or just deleting old destinations while we are on a long drive.

I don't have an answer to how to know it is the passenger using the system rather than the driver, passenger airbag enabled, a prompt asking if the user is the passenger for the CYA factor?
Old 08-21-14, 09:47 PM
royalleade
Driver School Candidate

I have had cases where I tried to say the name of a street about 50 different ways myself and my passenger tried it another 50 different ways. But that street name just wouldn't get picked up. After some time, I just pulled out my Garmin and used that.

This lockout is very disappointing. And the navigation system overall is pretty disappointing considering how much it cost to get and it doesn't even have something as simple as a 3D view that my 8-year old $70 Garmin has. Anyway, I am actually hoping that these newer cars have the same override functionality that the older cars had. There are a lot of youtube videos for older models. Maybe it just hasn't been discovered yet in the newer cars.

And as others have mentioned, this doesn't necessarily have to be used by myself... it could be my passenger using the system so I really don't need lectures here about the reasoning for having this ridiculous functionality. Lucky for us, our phones are not made by Toyota/Lexus, or even the phone keypad would stop working while in motion!!!
Old 08-21-14, 10:29 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

All of the above being said, as far as getting the destination into the nav system, the live Destination Assist has worked very well for us.

We have given them everything from the street address to a vague idea of where we wanted to go and they have figured it out.

We have told them the wrong name of the place but a general idea of what it was and they have figured it out.

We have told them we wanted a non-chain breakfast location along the route and they have figured it out.

The folks have been very pleasant and helpful and we think it is a very valuable service. It is actually one of the reasons we purchased a Lexus over say a Volvo that did not have this type of service available.
Old 08-22-14, 08:32 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

We all know the real reason for the lockout - frivolous lawsuits that is one of American core values.
We also get service reminders every 5K miles. And TMPS. And undefeatable traction/stability systems. And brake override.

How about we put some responsibility on the person sitting in the driver seat for a change? To have common sense and not put the blame on car manufacturers. Make having a drivers license a privilege, not a right.

At the rate is is going, driver will be taken out of equation and it will be illegal to actually drive the car. Bet California will be the first to adopt.
Old 08-22-14, 08:42 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep, we have too many lawyers and way too many folks making their living by suing anyone and everyone. Some of it's good, especially if needed but a high percentage of suits are bogus and get paid anyway.

For us, a drivers license is a privilege. But for many not here legally, they can just walk in and pay for one and get it. That makes me .

Now to keep from hijacking the thread I have to say something about NAV lockouts . If you buy an aftermarket kit to jail break it and happen to have an accident where it can be shown you were doing something while driving that you couldn't before installing whatever device you installed, your insurance company will probably just wish you a nice day, pay the claim yourself. And they probably have a better lawyer than anyone of us .
Originally Posted by vlad_a
We all know the real reason for the lockout - frivolous lawsuits that is one of American core values.
We also get service reminders every 5K miles. And TMPS. And undefeatable traction/stability systems. And brake override.

How about we put some responsibility on the person sitting in the driver seat for a change? To have common sense and not put the blame on car manufacturers. Make having a drivers license a privilege, not a right.

At the rate is is going, driver will be taken out of equation and it will be illegal to actually drive the car. Bet California will be the first to adopt.
Old 08-22-14, 09:58 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom558
Oops, I guess it is illegal for the DRIVER to program the GPS while driving and, legal or not, I am not a fan or a proponent. of the driver doing much other than driving.

The problem with the Toyota/Lexus system is it locks out the passenger also. I'm just looking for a way for my wife or I to use the nav features as a passenger while driving both to find locations (the list is very limited when moving) or just deleting old destinations while we are on a long drive.

I don't have an answer to how to know it is the passenger using the system rather than the driver, passenger airbag enabled, a prompt asking if the user is the passenger for the CYA factor?
I would think they could design that in. The seat belt system seems to know when someone is in the passenger seat which could in turn unlock the Nav system. Admittedly a heavy brief case on the seat would fool the system.

Quick Reply: Nav and DVD lockout