RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

STEER away from used RXs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 06:25 PM
MrMufakka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STEER away from used RXs??

Looking to sell my IS250 and get into an RX350. Looking for a 2010 or 2011. I found what seemed to be the perfect one, then found out it needed the steering column replaced.

My question is, how prevalent is this issue? I'm scared to death to buy one only to have to shell out $3k soon after. And, if I can find one with the original warranty, or a certified vehicle, is the steering column replacement covered?

To be honest, my confidence in Lexus as a whole has been greatly reduced. Being a Toyota product, I really thought they'd be very durable, save for maybe some of the bells and whistle type gadgets. I've already had to have the PISTONS replaced in my IS. Fortunately is was done under a recall/warranty but still. And now to find out about this steering column issue. Doesn't give me a very warm and fuzzy feeling!

Maybe they don't build em like they used to. I've got a 2001 4Runner that I drive everyday that has nearly 200k on the clock with only wear and tear type maintenance required.

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Old 08-19-14, 11:05 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Hi MrMufakka,
Just bought a CPO 2010 RX350, had it for 6 days then went back to dealer for a rattling sound from steering column. Turns out the entire steering column needed to be replaced, it took 1 month because they needed to order the part. It was covered under the warranty and would have cost over $3000 if I had to pay. My advice is to really make sure they did a CPO inspection and fix what needed to be fixed.
Good luck

David
Old 08-20-14, 04:38 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Some 2010s were affected by the steering column rattle. I believe 2011 was when it was addressed. Another shortcoming was certain 2010s did not have the laminated or lamisafe front windows which further suppresses wind noise. You'll want to check the label on the front windows (and windshield). The rest should say temperlite.

Before committing to a 2010/11, ask for a maintenance or recall/TSB service history before purchasing for peace of mind. Also, request a battery test since it will be about time to have replaced the battery with a new one after 4-5 years. I believe these are the main "hidden" items to look out for in early build RXs. You'll be fine afterwards. Good luck!
Old 08-20-14, 06:20 AM
MrMufakka
Driver School Candidate

Great info. I really appreciate it!
Old 08-20-14, 06:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If nervous about quality issues, suggest you move your search years to 2012 or 2013 to ensure it's under warranty and lower mileage. Why increase the risk of unknowns if you already have Lexus 'doubts'?
Old 08-20-14, 07:07 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

So if my 2010 front windows & windshield state Temperlite does that mean I do not have the Lamisafe windows? How do you identify them? Does it state Lamisafe somewhere?
Old 08-20-14, 07:09 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a CPO 2010 RX350 in October 2012. It has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. It is solid in every way. No steering column issue, or any other bothersome issue. I really enjoy this vehicle. If you get one that is CPO you'll be protected by the warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to get a 2010.
Old 08-20-14, 08:20 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

The reason you had issues with your IS250 is probably because of direct injection. The ugly truth is that it causes carbon build-up. That's why 350 has both port and direct injection. Toyota is the only company to my knowledge to combine the two. You will also notice how slow it has been in deploying direct injection throughout its lineup. That's one of reason I bought the RX - it is port injected only.
My IS may be due for replacement (still runs very strong), and I'm looking at port-injected engines along with a manual transmission and AWD. '15 STI is on top of my list.
Old 08-20-14, 08:52 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Remember, when you read about issues, it only represents a minority of owners. People don't come on forums like this to say everything is working well. How boring would that be? I've been an RX owner for close to 16 years. Overall I've had maybe a handful of repairs outside of routine maintenance, all covered under warranty/extended warranty. The 450h has been virtually flawless for the past 4 1/2 years save a defective rear emblem and remote start. Again both were replaced under warranty. The RX has only improved IMO.

Do you due diligence and you'll be fine.
Old 08-20-14, 09:18 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
If nervous about quality issues, suggest you move your search years to 2012 or 2013 to ensure it's under warranty and lower mileage. Why increase the risk of unknowns if you already have Lexus 'doubts'?
+ 1 on this.
And with a 2013 , you get the spindle grill and running LED Lights.
2012 and newer will give you regular gas vs premium ( 2011 and older).
Old 08-20-14, 09:19 AM
MrMufakka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Remember, when you read about issues, it only represents a minority of owners. People don't come on forums like this to say everything is working well. How boring would that be? I've been an RX owner for close to 16 years. Overall I've had maybe a handful of repairs outside of routine maintenance, all covered under warranty/extended warranty. The 450h has been virtually flawless for the past 4 1/2 years save a defective rear emblem and remote start. Again both were replaced under warranty. The RX has only improved IMO.

Do you due diligence and you'll be fine.
Very good post and you are exactly right. Comments anywhere on the internet are much more likely to be of the negative variety than "I came here just to say everything is working like it should be! Bye!" Good point.

I guess my point in posting my question was that I wanted to find out if that was in fact the case with the steering issue. You only read about the x% that have an issue with it. Figuring out what x% is would be reassuring though.

I guess my best bet is to find either a certified or one with a factory warranty still remaining.
Old 08-20-14, 09:22 AM
MrMufakka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
The reason you had issues with your IS250 is probably because of direct injection. The ugly truth is that it causes carbon build-up. That's why 350 has both port and direct injection. Toyota is the only company to my knowledge to combine the two. You will also notice how slow it has been in deploying direct injection throughout its lineup. That's one of reason I bought the RX - it is port injected only.
My IS may be due for replacement (still runs very strong), and I'm looking at port-injected engines along with a manual transmission and AWD. '15 STI is on top of my list.
Yeah, I do remember something about the carbon buildup being an issue.

But, in today's day and age, you'd think a major manufacturer would have thought/eliminated that problem prior to offering a car with it.

Thankfully, and cheers to Lexus, it was paid for (and I got them to change the spark plugs while they were in there!).
Old 08-20-14, 12:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
So if my 2010 front windows & windshield state Temperlite does that mean I do not have the Lamisafe windows? How do you identify them? Does it state Lamisafe somewhere?

Yes, it means you don't have the laminated windows. To be 100% sure, roll down your front window and if temperlite, it's one solid piece of glass. If laminated, it's three layers - middle piece is a thin film layer (see pic).

I believe some RX folks were able to get the lamisafe windows retrofitted under warranty on complaints of wind noise, but not sure if it's on a case-by-case basis. You can search this forum or ask your dealer.

Old 08-21-14, 09:33 AM
MrMufakka
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for all the replies.

One last question about the "rattle". Long story, short, can you live with it? I assume it's not a safety thing since there is not a recall. Is it a slight rattle that's heard once every few months or something that would drive someone crazy? This RX that I found is immaculate... except that it apparently suffers from the steering column issue. (It's about 300 miles away at a Mercedes Dealership).
Old 08-21-14, 12:36 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, but why are you moving from the IS to the RX? I have been driving (2) IS300s for over 14 years now and I also own an RX. There is no way I would trade the power and balance of a sport sedan for a crossover SUV, unless I really had to.

Quick Reply: STEER away from used RXs??