RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 RX 350 Power Lift Gate question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 05:33 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2010 RX 350 Power Lift Gate question

I have the power lift gate option on my 2010 RX 350. It was at the dealers for 1 month for repairs due to waiting for parts. I had only owned the car for 5 days so they gave me a 2014 loaner for the month.
On the loaner, I could open the back by just touching the little bar on the rear gate, and it would lift open unassisted. When I picked up my 2010 today from the dealer I tried to open the rear gate the same way but it did not open automatically, it clicked open but did not lift up by itself. I could push the button on the key fob and the rear gate would lift open by itself.
I could have sworn that it use to open unassisted like the 2014. Maybe it didn't and I was just use to using the 2014 loaner.
The SA said the 2010 did not have that option of opening unassisted if you open from the rear gate, is that true?
Anyone with a 2010 with power rear gate, I would appreciate your comments, maybe my memory is not too good anymore. lol
Thanks
Old 08-08-14, 05:54 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

kahuna415, I'm not familiar with the 2014 LPS (Lexus Personalized Settings) but I know the ability to open the tailgate by pressing the button once was not listed for 2010. However it can be programmed. Take a look at this thread.
Old 08-08-14, 08:21 PM
happycampe
Driver School Candidate

I don't like the automatic feature and I'm glad on my 2011 it's not a default. The roof on our carport has cross beams and unless I'm parked just perfectly the tail gate will hit the cross beams. Besides, the remote and the dash both have the ability to enable the automatic open.

I looked at 2013 RX and the owner lived in a condo and the parking lot probably has normal 7 foot ceilings or there about and either he or his wife just didn't care and the lift gate had a dent on it and paint chips all the way to the metal because it continuously kept hitting the concrete ceiling in the parking garage. At least if you have to open it manually you can control how high it goes up. And for those times at the super market or mall when you want to activate the automatic open you can just press the remote.
Old 08-08-14, 10:56 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

The thing is I remember it working before I took it in for the month long repair at the dealer, and now it doesn't work and the SA said it wasn't offered on the 2010 RX 350.
This was a big factor in deciding on buying this car because I lost my left arm and my right arm is in a brace from the war in Iraq. My right wrist cannot bend forward or backwards so now my credit card key doesn't help in opening the rear gate.
Now I have to open the driver side door and push the button inside to open the rear gate.
Quite the hassle due to my disability.
@ Anita, I took some screen shots of the thread you sent me and emailed them to the SA, hope he reads them and does a little more research.

Thanks,

David
Old 08-09-14, 04:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

David, the fact you can still open the tailgate using the button in the cabin tells me the button in the glove box wasn't turned off. That's typically the first thing to check. Just to point out, the available programming options for the tailgate can be found here starting on page 4. On my 2010, I press the long button on the tailgate for a second or two, the doors all unlock and the tailgate opens under power. It was programmed by a tech at the dealer. That's in addition to the key fob and button inside the cabin. Good luck trying to get it to work again. And thank you for your service.

Last edited by kitlz; 08-09-14 at 04:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
lexusaht (12-24-18)
Old 08-09-14, 02:54 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Tell the dealer and have them program it to open when you hit the unlock button on the rear hatch. They just probably set most things back to default when they disconnected power to effect repairs. For 2010 that feature was not end user programmable as per klitz. Don't forget to ask for military discount on service or parts...ours gives us 10% off, and if you don't mind waiting on shipping, order stuff from Sewell.
Old 08-10-14, 06:27 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It should open when you press the button. Take it back to the dealer. They may have changed something during that month.
Old 08-10-14, 02:56 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for your input,
I told the SA to read the forum pages regarding the rear lift gate and he emailed me yesterday saying they looked at a different computer and found the correct software.
They offered to come out to my house and program the code but I'm just going to drive out to the dealer Monday.
It's only about 15 minutes from the house, so no big problem for me but it as a great for them to offer.
Thanks again.
David
Old 08-11-14, 03:27 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

UPDATE
Went back to dealer, service tech said he checked several scan machines and my car does not offer that function of opening the rear gate by touching the rectangle button in back. Some 2010's do and some don't.
A little confused, but what can I do? I guess I need to carry around the key fob now, what a waste of $200 for the credit card key. I guess I just have to use the button on the dash now.
Old 08-11-14, 03:35 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have an Android phone or tablet check out the Carista app. For the price of an
OBD2 adaptor for less than $10.00 OBD2 adaptor for less than $10.00
you can see for yourself what features are changeable on your model RX. Another $20.00 to purchase the app and you can change them yourself.
Old 08-11-14, 04:41 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

kahuna, sorry to hear the dealer couldn't program it. Quite a few members experienced the same problem in the thread I linked. Sometimes it's a matter of finding the right dealer. I just don't buy it can't be done since it's listed as a possible setting. You can try the app Tom mentioned. Get in touch with Carista to get a complete list of what can be changed. Keep us posted.
Old 08-11-14, 04:53 PM
CapSacto
Driver School Candidate

Kahuna415: I too have a 2010 RX350 and wanted the rear hatch button-push power-lift feature activated. About six months ago I took the car to the dealer to have this done. After attempting to set the option with their Techstream laptop they told me my 2010 RX did not have the option listed in the car's software. I asked them to show me, so the technician pulled the car back into the shop and we proceeded to go through every single option in every menu for every setting. The rear hatch power up using the rear button was not listed. The tech explained to me that some 2010's had the feature option and some did not. I also looked in the 2010 Lexus RX350 Personalized Settings and that feature was not listed. So I resigned myself to not have that feature.

Now here's the weird part....About two months ago the motor in the rear hatch began to squeak every time I used either the dash button or the key fob button. I have an extended warranty so I took it to my Lexus dealer to get it fixed. They had to keep it overnight waiting for a new hatch motor assembly to arrive the next day. The motor got there the next day and they installed it. I picked-up the car and tested the hatch motor using the dash button. All was good and covered under the warranty. I was happy and went home. The next day, for some unknown reason, I tried the button on the rear hatch door and it power-lifted with the button-push. I was totally surprised! I took a look at the work order and the dealer not only replaced the hatch motor but also updated the ECM software, which I believe is the Engine Control Module. I did not call the dealer for an explanation because I was happy with what had happened. My dealer is Lexus of Sacramento, and they give great service.

I have read many of the posts here about this subject and some claim that every 2010 RX350 has this option, but mine did not until that motor was replaced and the ECM was flashed with an update. I also think that the 2010 RX450H has very different on-board software that may include this option where some 2010 RX350's may not. I know that this may add to the confusion, but I just wanted to let you know my experience.
Old 08-11-14, 06:04 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

also curious if have this option, so got a quick techstream scan with my 2010 RX350 and found this back door opening customized function under Smart key/Access menu, I guess i dont have it either.

Last edited by vince22; 09-14-14 at 07:13 AM.
Old 08-11-14, 06:38 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if it was one of those numerous changes on the 2010s. Mine was a late build and many items in the manual like sunglasses holder were changed. They always update any software changes whenever I bring the car in.
Old 08-11-14, 10:14 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

LexRexBlue - You are correct. It depends on the build date (about Feb 2010 IIRC). However, as noted above, the older ECM can be flashed with updated software which will allow the option.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX 350 Power Lift Gate question