RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350 Won't Start or Crank!

Old 08-14-14, 12:55 PM
willyinnv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350 Won't Start or Crank!

HELP! RX350 No Start, & Baffled!

Am a certified Aircraft Mechanic, and quite car savvy......but:
Low mileage 2011 RX350, and this. Fine & normal, parked in our garage, and on
attempted Startup this:

Normal ‘green lite’ for starting, pushing Start Button does nothing except
rapid flashing of CEL lite, Brake lite, ABS light, Battery, Tire, and even center Nav
System panel; (but no cranking). Bat voltage is 12v. Cables are clean and secure,
Horn blows, Seat adjusts, but NO Cranking! Tried other Fob, with same results.
My reliable OBD2 tester says unable to establish a link. Aarrggh, WTF??? Gimme
a hint here, & ThanX
Old 08-14-14, 01:08 PM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A weak battery will do that. Everything will work, but battery does not have enough juice to crank the engine.

Have you tried jump starting it?
Old 08-14-14, 01:11 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Does the auto up/down feature on the windows work? If it doesn't, that's a sure sign the battery is on the way out speaking from experience.
Old 08-14-14, 01:27 PM
willyinnv
Driver School Candidate

Kitlz: Battery has power to fully blow the Horn & adjust seat position. I'm not sure the ignition fully
turns on, even tho I get a 'green lite' indication on the start button. My VOM gives a full 12vdc reading
at the battery, and my charger was connected for 3 hours. ThanX for your quick input, I'll make a
charitable donation in your name tonight to a favorite charity (Anhauser-Busch Foundation)....not
sure what they do! Windows Up/Down is inop. ANY OTHER IDEAS???

Last edited by willyinnv; 08-14-14 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-14-14, 02:25 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

I have been doing my own car repairs for 30 years. I bet you need a battery. I have seen several instances where accessories worked but the car would not start. Almost always due to a weak battery. The last instance was a friend's Avalon.

Always try the simple repair first before dreaming up some complicated scenario. It can have 12 volts but not enough amps to start the car. You could have a weak or dead cell. Your dead power windows are a sure sign as pointed out above. If a jump start works, then you know it is the battery.
Old 08-14-14, 02:47 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like what AJS and Clutchless said, jump the car. I have this happened to me last month. The battery will operate the lights, horn, etc. but does not have enough juice to start. I jumped it with the other car and it started. I then charge it for 24 hours but still it can not start the car. I bought a new battery and problem solved.
Old 08-14-14, 03:55 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

If the auto up/down feature is gone (also with the moonroof), start shopping for a new battery. From my experience on the 330, all accessories worked. Jump starting got me going the first time but not the second time the RX didn't start a few days later. The RX was flatbedded to the dealer where I was told losing the auto up/down feature is one way to tell the battery is on the way out. At least the new battery was free to me. And the windows and moonroof were reprogrammed.
Old 08-15-14, 06:17 AM
Woodrow
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

I wonder if the fact that almost every indicator of battery power works EXCEPT the starter, is a function of the computer. Maybe the computer interogates the battery's available power prior to actual startup. If it determines there's not enough available energy to start the engine, could it simply disable the start function and allow the accessories to still function so you can listen to the radio while you wait for assistance?

My Mom jumped into her RX to make a quick run to the store, and there was NO indication of a brewing battery issue, nor had there been any indication prior to that trip. When she got in the car to go home, she had the same issue as the OP. All the dash lights worked, as did the accessories she checked. She got a jump from a very nice man, and it started with no issue. I replaced her battery, and she has had no problems since. Well, there was 1 issue. The windows wouldn't come down. Apparently they needed to be "reset" after I disconnected the battery.
Old 08-15-14, 06:30 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

That is what happened to my friend's Avalon. We were visiting them from out of town, driving around Atlanta and after lunch, the car would not start, but all or most accessories worked. He called AAA who gave a jump start and after testing the battery said it needed to be replaced. We drove directly to Advanced Auto where they installed the battery as part of the price. Problem solved.
Old 08-15-14, 06:38 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodrow
My Mom jumped into her RX to make a quick run to the store, and there was NO indication of a brewing battery issue, nor had there been any indication prior to that trip. When she got in the car to go home, she had the same issue as the OP. All the dash lights worked, as did the accessories she checked. She got a jump from a very nice man, and it started with no issue. I replaced her battery, and she has had no problems since. Well, there was 1 issue. The windows wouldn't come down. Apparently they needed to be "reset" after I disconnected the battery.
Same thing happened to me. I drove the car to the gym and there was no indication of any impending problem. When I came out the car will not start. The lights on the dashboard lights up but no crank. After a while after trying several times the power drained and it went dead.

After jumping I went home and measured the voltage across. It was about 12.8 volts. And the car started. The next day it was dead again. I charged it for 24 hours but it will just not start anymore. Voltage was about 12 volts. I opened the topcover of the battery and peeked inside. There is fluid at the right level. I surmised the battery, being 4 years old, must be dead. And it was. I removed the battery, went to Costco and got a new one at a good price. They took the old battery too.
Old 08-15-14, 06:54 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Battery life span is about four to five years. Any number of factors (weather, driving habits, modifications, etc) can GREATLY increase or decrease that number
Old 08-15-14, 12:39 PM
willyinnv
Driver School Candidate

Hey you great Gurus! Now Fixed: This baffling problem was a Battery problem - although fully charged, and reading 12 volts on my VOM meter......1 or more cells were deteriorated, and unable to put out the required amps to engage the starter relay and cranking. The original OEM battery, tho only 2 yrs 11 months old, partially crapped out! Seems our very warm temps here in Las Vegas are hard on batteries. Mucho thanX to Kitlz. LDL, & others. Best to ya...... But - Yer Mileage May Vary!!!
Old 08-15-14, 10:49 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Now go make that donation to the An-hows-yer-bush Foundation. Thanks for the closure. A dead cell can be an elusive problem. Been there done that. Retired wrench turner.
Old 08-16-14, 04:50 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Everything is working fine but... It just works that way until the day it doesn't
Took delivery of my 2010 RX450h (Watson) late June of 2009. Guess a good preventative measure would be to pick up a new battery at COSTCO (good ones at great prices). If they know how to install it while keeping power from the old one to the system in order to keep all the data in the computer chips I'll let them. Otherwise I'll let Lexus do it.
Old 08-16-14, 04:59 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Glad that's all taken care of. In 16 years, I've only had the battery fail the one time <<knocking on wood>> AAA membership is up to date just in case...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RX350 Won't Start or Crank!