RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX 350 Navigation Screen Flaw

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 09:10 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

just buy the same pair of sunglasses that is NOT polarized.
problem solved.

Polarized sunglasses is more of a fad, 99% of people who have them don't even use them on situations where they truly are needed like yachting or fishing.
Old 08-14-14, 09:12 PM
ADF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4482
With all that's been said it sure does not appear to be a Lexus NAV problem.
Let's see if I understand this right . Lexus creates a polarized nav screen for the 2015, and only those who are familiar with this situation know about it, but it is not the fault of Lexus. It is not listed on any sales document, no one at the dealership would admit to having any knowledge of this, but it's not the fault of Lexus. Guess I missed something. To all of you who provided accurate information, thank you.
Old 08-14-14, 10:55 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

I tried this in my 12 IS350C and when I turn my head 90 deg the display goes black. I think it is just the nav unit you got has the screen in the position that makes it like you have turned your head.
Old 08-15-14, 05:58 AM
ajs
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ADF
Let's see if I understand this right . Lexus creates a polarized nav screen for the 2015, and only those who are familiar with this situation know about it, but it is not the fault of Lexus. It is not listed on any sales document, no one at the dealership would admit to having any knowledge of this, but it's not the fault of Lexus. Guess I missed something. To all of you who provided accurate information, thank you.
No, Lexus did not create a polarized nav screen for the 2015. They simply put in a larger and higher definition display that happens to not be very compatible with polarized sunglasses. As already mentioned, this is a very common problem with all kinds of LCD displays, so it is a general shortcoming of LCD display technology. I don't think it would be reasonable to fault Lexus for it.

A similar argument would be to say: if driving with polarized sunglasses is so important to you, did you test drive the car while wearing the sunglasses? Apparently, you did not.
Old 08-15-14, 06:51 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ajs
No, Lexus did not create a polarized nav screen for the 2015. They simply put in a larger and higher definition display that happens to not be very compatible with polarized sunglasses. As already mentioned, this is a very common problem with all kinds of LCD displays, so it is a general shortcoming of LCD display technology. I don't think it would be reasonable to fault Lexus for it.

A similar argument would be to say: if driving with polarized sunglasses is so important to you, did you test drive the car while wearing the sunglasses? Apparently, you did not.
Hallelujah......
Old 08-15-14, 07:21 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

BTW, this is not something new for the 2015 model NAV. In fact, I found warnings about polarized sunglasses as far back as 2007. If you like polarized sunglasses, as I do, then look to the lenses I mentioned earlier as they don't interfere with the NAV screen and do provide the glare reduction and deep rich colors afforded by polarized lenses.

2007 Section 1 Basic Operation - Basic Information Before Operation page 3:
When you look at the screen through polarized material such as polarized sunglasses, the screen may be dark and hard to see. If so, change the angle of the screen or take off your sunglasses.
2014/2015 Navigation Quick Guide Chapter 1 page 13:
When the screen is viewed through polarized sunglasses, a rainbow pattern may appear on the screen due to optical characteristics of the screen. If this is disturbing, please operate the screen without polarized sunglasses.
Old 08-15-14, 08:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'll take the distortion over damaging my eyesight any day of the week. It's minimal on the nav screen, more noticeable on HUD. Brightness is set on high. I also see 'spots' on the the rear windows of some cars (RX included) while driving. I've learned to just live with it.

Last edited by kitlz; 08-15-14 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-15-14, 08:39 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADF
Let's see if I understand this right . Guess I missed something. .

Yes if you read all the other posts on the subject.
Old 08-15-14, 07:55 PM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
I also see 'spots' on the the rear windows of some cars (RX included) while driving. I've learned to just live with it.
I wear prescription sunglasses. I can see a grid pattern of small squares in the tinted rear windscreen when looking through it via the rear view mirror. The pattern is not visible with plain glasses. I had chalked it up to polarization and thought they were the heating elements embedded in the glass. Fortunately, NAV screen is fine for me.

After reading this thread, I tried an experiment. When I tilt my head to the right by about 45 degrees or more, the patterns on the rear windscreen vanish. But the NAV screen becomes more bluish. Go figure!!!

BTW, rear windscreen shows no patterns in my 2002 dodge caravan which has tint but no rear defogger. So I am convinced that the extra "x-ray" vision I am getting with my sunglasses enables me to see the heating elements of the rear defogger. :-)

P.S. I have a 2013 RX350

Last edited by elba123; 08-15-14 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-17-14, 03:38 AM
pamiboy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ADF
Thanks for the info. I bought a 2014 Ford F150 with nav screen and do not have this problem. I did not know that if one bought a 2015 Lexus , one must also buy new non-polarized glasses. It seems there should be some warning notice.
You said that you paid 50K for the car. How much did you pay for the glasses? ($200...???)
You want the Lexus dealer to take apart your brand new car navigation screen and install a new one (assuming it will solve your problem). I guess the most practical solution is to use non polarized glasses. I suspect it'll be way cheaper than trying to replace the screen.
Old 08-22-14, 05:48 PM
ADF
Driver School Candidate

Smile 2015 rx350 design flaw

Some of you will be surprised that the big Lexus in the sky agreed with me. As a result, I have accepted a nice offer regarding two new pair of non polarized prescription progressive sun glasses. If you never ask, you will never know.
Old 08-22-14, 07:46 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

FWIW, I can't use my iPhone while wearing polarized sunglasses.
Old 08-22-14, 09:31 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
FWIW, I can't use my iPhone while wearing polarized sunglasses.
better start writing Apple a letter then
just make sure to specifically say that the "Screen of the iPhone has a flawed design"
Old 08-23-14, 07:22 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ADF
Some of you will be surprised that the big Lexus in the sky agreed with me. As a result, I have accepted a nice offer regarding two new pair of non polarized prescription progressive sun glasses. If you never ask, you will never know.
I don't believe you. Let's see a receipt. Lexus was not at fault and I doubt they'd settle a trivial complaint like that.
Old 08-23-14, 08:06 AM
Cough
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I cant believe some of this.

Many GPS screens in vehicles are DELIBERATELY polarized so that there is less of a reflection issue when driving.

So no it is not a problem. Your problem is not taking off your sunglasses.

Quick Reply: 2015 RX 350 Navigation Screen Flaw