RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Isn't 10,000 miles kind of long for 1st oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-14, 08:31 AM
garygve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Isn't 10,000 miles kind of long for 1st oil change

I just bought a 2015 RX 350, reading through the manual it shows a 5000 mile check up and no oil change till 10,000 miles. I have rebuilt engines and you always have small metal particles from the break in, there is the friction from the rings seating to the cylinders etc. I don't understand the logic with Lexus on this. The oil in a new engine will get dirty quicker because of internal mating of metal surfaces. I know the filter will collect these particles, but the oil still gets dirty looking. I may be over doing it but I'm going to change my oil and filter at 3000 miles for the first oil change.
Old 08-04-14, 08:47 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

oil should be at 5. not sure whats up that manual..i would do it regardless
Old 08-04-14, 08:53 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Don't do it, garygve. Lexus changed over to synthetic back in February 2010 and bumped up the oil change to every 10K. There haven't been any problems since. Now a few members have had their used oil analyzed. The results were unremarkable, meaning the oil worked just fine. Maybe you want to change the oil at 5K to get out any particles but 3K is a waste. I know it's hard to get beyond the old school mentality but you'll be fine waiting until 10K. And don't forget, your first two services, the 5K and 10K, are free. Save your money.
Old 08-04-14, 09:15 AM
felix168
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garygve
I just bought a 2015 RX 350, reading through the manual it shows a 5000 mile check up and no oil change till 10,000 miles. I have rebuilt engines and you always have small metal particles from the break in, there is the friction from the rings seating to the cylinders etc. I don't understand the logic with Lexus on this. The oil in a new engine will get dirty quicker because of internal mating of metal surfaces. I know the filter will collect these particles, but the oil still gets dirty looking. I may be over doing it but I'm going to change my oil and filter at 3000 miles for the first oil change.
Do the first 3000 mile oil change yourself since you have built engines and I'd assume you should know how to do a simple oil change. Then do it at 10k and every 10k. There is nothing oil school about cleaning out all the metal shavings from engine break-in period.

I personally do it every 5k with 0w-20.
Old 08-04-14, 09:24 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i agree garygve! i`m having my first oil change at 5k as well for the same reasons as you. then every spring/fall which comes out to be aprox 7,000 to 7,500 miles.
Old 08-04-14, 11:05 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Foil the Oil (Change)

Originally Posted by garygve
You will probably notice the synthetic oil is black at 3,000 miles. I've been assured that this is normal for synthetic. Even though 3,000 is early for your first oil change, you will sleep better knowing you've done it your way, and will certainly do no harm, in my opinion.
Ray A.
Old 08-04-14, 11:35 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

If all you're worried about is debris in the oil, why not just put on a new filter and leave the oil alone?
Old 08-04-14, 11:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

When I was in engineering school (mechanical) we were taught that current manufacturing processes do not leave behind the kinds of metal shavings we previously dealt with in new engines. The ability to better control the tolerances, forging, and machining processes have come a long way. This is the reason why break in periods have changed, as have oil change frequencies.

With that said, it is very challenging to leave behind my long indoctrinated beliefs that oil should be changed every 3k miles. I do now, however, just follow the manufacturer's schedule and haven't had any issues.
Old 08-04-14, 12:16 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Anita, as you know, I've been getting about every other oil change analyzed at BlackRock. I think I'm done with that now as every one has been just fine as well. To the OP, starting with the 2010 models, the RX and most of the Lexus fleet went to the new low friction engines w/precision tolerances and using 0w20w and 10K changes for normal service. When I had my 1st oil change I had it tested and there were no excessive metal particles. You should be good to go.
Originally Posted by kitlz
Don't do it, garygve. Lexus changed over to synthetic back in February 2010 and bumped up the oil change to every 10K. There haven't been any problems since. Now a few members have had their used oil analyzed. The results were unremarkable, meaning the oil worked just fine. Maybe you want to change the oil at 5K to get out any particles but 3K is a waste. I know it's hard to get beyond the old school mentality but you'll be fine waiting until 10K. And don't forget, your first two services, the 5K and 10K, are free. Save your money.
Old 08-04-14, 12:58 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

good information Jim. thanks
Old 08-04-14, 01:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks Jim. When I was talking about old school, I was referring to the 'changing the oil every 3K religiously' mentality. I did it myself for many years, that's why I remember it so well. But then I bought my first RX in 1998. Prior to February 2010, the maintenance schedule was every 5K/6 months, whichever came first, as far back as I remember. After the change to synthetic, I waited a year to have the oil changed on the 450h for the first time. Felt weird but all was fine.

BTW, I found this thread pretty much asking the same question in regards to a 2014 RX.
Old 08-04-14, 01:57 PM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2010 with 0-20 synthetic had 5k oil changes. I thought it was a waste too. I did it for warranty reasons. Once I got past the warranty I've been doing it every 8-10k miles.
Old 08-04-14, 04:56 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

There's been a great deal of discussion here about oil change intervals, 3K,5K,10K. Well, here's another thing to throw into the mix. My friend just bought a new CRV and there's NO oil change interval printed in the service booklet. Turns out the computer tells you what percentage of oil use is left remaining on your oil, then you get an oil change is iminent warning on the dash which changes to change your oil now, when it's time. Holy cow!
This is information only, not meant to stir things up.
Ray A.
Old 08-04-14, 06:38 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by raylor4
There's been a great deal of discussion here about oil change intervals, 3K,5K,10K. Well, here's another thing to throw into the mix. My friend just bought a new CRV and there's NO oil change interval printed in the service booklet. Turns out the computer tells you what percentage of oil use is left remaining on your oil, then you get an oil change is iminent warning on the dash which changes to change your oil now, when it's time. Holy cow!
This is information only, not meant to stir things up.
Ray A.
I guess this is a Honda thing. Interesting concept and involves more than just the oil change.
Old 08-04-14, 08:44 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

I'm not sure about Toyota/Lexus but other makes such as Honda and Subaru on certain models are known to have special "break-in" oil by the factory that has certain protective additive packs. Changing oil too early would negate activation of these additives.
I would be curious to see if anyone has sent a sample of their original fill oil to analysis to confirm if any known additive packs have been detected.

Quick Reply: Isn't 10,000 miles kind of long for 1st oil change