Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Pandora

Old 07-20-14, 09:21 AM   #1
markn
Driver School Candidate
Trader Score: (0)

Default Pandora

My wife drives a 2012 RX350 w/ nav. While at home she uses her tablet to play Pandora through in the house using our wireless router from the desktop computer. She recently linked her tablet to the Lexus sound system and is convinced that the dealer can enable something in her car so that she can play Pandora on the road.

After reviewing the manuals that come with the car this is what I told her. Lexus offers their S.O.S. Emergency System that can be enabled through a yearly subscription. It does not play music. The car has a satellite radio that can be turned on through a Sirus subscription (this is what I use in my truck and really like it). I told her that I believe the only way to play Pandora on the road in her car is to have a phone that has an internet connection (she has phone without internet) and link it to the Lexus sound system. I also told her that given the poor quality of cell service depending on location the audio experience will be much less than what itís like while playing at home.

Is what I wrote and telling my wife correct? If not, can you please explain what I donít know about this Lexus sound system.

TIA, Mark
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
markn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-14, 11:11 AM   #2
greeknasty
Driver

if im not mistaken..the 2013 mdoels and later have the pandora app via enform that you use your phones data via bluetooth to listen to them...i do not believe it would work for the 2012 and under models..but i could be totally wrong...do you see a pandora app on your nav?
also you could try connecting your phone to your car via bluetooth and open pandora app on your phone and play it that way(if applicable in 2012)
greeknasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 01:33 PM   #3
vlad_a
Lexus Test Driver

As correctly stated above, in 2012 you can use a smartphone and play whatever you want on it through car's speakers.
For 2013+, Lexus added apps, such as Pandora.
Pandora actually plays in the background of the smartphone and is controlled through car's app interface.
Originally, it was subscription-based, but later Lexus has dropped the charges and provides commercial-free Pandora service. However, as great as it sounds, by the time I go through all the clicks to start the app and a few reboots of the system, I'm usually already arriving at work. It's probably better since the last upgrade, but I don't bother anymore.
vlad_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 01:50 PM   #4
mcomer
Driver

You can control and use Pandora on any smart phone and play it through any car stereo if the system has audio over bluetooth or with a connecting cord. The whole point of the Enform App Suite is to transfer control of the phone app to the Nav screen so you are not manipulating the song choices by holding the phone at your face as you drive past a cop Also be aware that the streaming data while on the road is potentially more expensive than from the WiFi router at home.
mcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 02:28 PM   #5
JDR76
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlad_a View Post
Originally, it was subscription-based, but later Lexus has dropped the charges and provides commercial-free Pandora service. However, as great as it sounds, by the time I go through all the clicks to start the app and a few reboots of the system, I'm usually already arriving at work. It's probably better since the last upgrade, but I don't bother anymore.
Pandora has withdrawn the commercial free version previously offered to auto manufacturers. You must now pay Pandora to go commercial free.
Old 07-22-14, 04:12 PM   #6
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

I love PAndora.
I prefer it than Sirius/XM since i mostly listen to music.
I compared a purely 80's. Collection from Pandora vs channel 8 from SiriusXM and thr selection in Pandora is far better.

You really need a smartphone to use Pandora.
On our 2011 RX, i just use BLUETOOTH connection
On our 2013 RX, i STILL use bluetooth connection vs the Lexus Enform App.
I find it quicker that way.

By the way, i have the paid subscription $3.99/month and i believe it's worth it.
Here in LA jungle, spending 4-6 hours/ day inside your car is Normal.
2010 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Fuji White
markrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-14, 04:25 PM   #7
JDR76
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrivers View Post
I love PAndora.
I prefer it than Sirius/XM since i mostly listen to music.
I compared a purely 80's. Collection from Pandora vs channel 8 from SiriusXM and thr selection in Pandora is far better.

You really need a smartphone to use Pandora.
On our 2011 RX, i just use BLUETOOTH connection
On our 2013 RX, i STILL use bluetooth connection vs the Lexus Enform App.
I find it quicker that way.

By the way, i have the paid subscription $3.99/month and i believe it's worth it.
Here in LA jungle, spending 4-6 hours/ day inside your car is Normal.
We use it every day in both our RX and IS, through the Enform app. Like you, I love Pandora. I paid something like $36 a year for ad free listening, and it's been worth it. I just leave it set to Pandora in both cars and it automatically starts when I get in and it links up with my phone. Don't have to touch anything.
Old 07-22-14, 04:25 PM