RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Buying used from a private owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 12:35 PM
happycampe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used from a private owner

For those that have done it, how did you do it?

Did you require a Bill of Sale from the owner?

Did you have the owner warranty things like no accidents?

Did you have a mechanic inspect the car?

I've never purchased a used car before and my state does now require a Bill of Sale, only that the ownership papers be transferred from old owner to new owner at DMV.

I don't know what it'd be worth to have a private owner warranty no accidents because most are going to say so if that is how they advertise the car.
Old 07-18-14, 03:50 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by happycampe

I've never purchased a used car before and my state does now require a Bill of Sale, only that the ownership papers be transferred from old owner to new owner at DMV.

I don't know what it'd be worth to have a private owner warranty no accidents because most are going to say so if that is how they advertise the car.
Most states don't use a bill of sale anymore; you can't have someone say they sold it to you for $200; in CA they look up an average price if you try to low ball them on a price, and if you want to believe CARFAX, it will tell if there were any accidents. It lies a lot; my 01 pontiac was hit twice but never showed on CARFAX; and was major repairs; Carfax is only as reliable as the info someone in a body shop puts in it! Mechanics can only find so much; so you have to trust the person you buy from or pay more from a dealer and get a warranty or CPO for ALOT more...
Old 07-18-14, 04:41 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you require a Bill of Sale from the owner? ABSOLUTELY! Whether your state requires one or not, it provides evidence of who sold the car to you and could be helpful in case of a lawsuit. Use Google and find a comprehensive outline for a BoS online.

Did you have the owner warranty things like no accidents? Virtually impossible to do. This is why you have a mechanic and a body shop inspect it for you. Before you buy, get the VIN and do a CARFAX report online yourself. Not foolproof, but helpful.

Did you have a mechanic inspect the car? ABSOLUTELY! Unless you have the ability to do it yourself.
Old 07-18-14, 05:51 PM
happycampe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My biggest fear is paying for a car that may have been involved in a major accident and I am unable to detect it. I've never used Carfax but I'm guessing services like this are supposed to gather data from a database that requires all body shops to report repairs based on VIN. Is it law that all body shops MUST report or is it voluntary?
Old 07-18-14, 06:03 PM
Need4Speed
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

When I purchased a used vehicle.

I did the inspection myself however if you are not knowledgeable or just want a professional to do it then have a mechanic do it.
Old 07-18-14, 08:17 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

By all means get a bill of sale!
Old 07-18-14, 09:44 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My biggest fear is paying for a car that may have been involved in a major accident and I am unable to detect it. I've never used Carfax but I'm guessing services like this are supposed to gather data from a database that requires all body shops to report repairs based on VIN. Is it law that all body shops MUST report or is it voluntary?
It is NOT required that body shops report, and of course the buddy that fixes it afterhours does not. In CA a BOS is worthless but a yellow tranfer form is required!
Old 07-19-14, 04:17 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The reason CARFAX isn't perfect is that only data from police reports (of an accident) are included in the CARFAX database.

Body shops are NOT required by law to report repairs to anyone, which--of course--is a glaring hole in what CARFAX is able to report. People who are involved in a fender-bender and handle all repairs with cash are never on the CARFAX radar screen.

OTOH, most serious accidents involve the police, who generate a report. CARFAX isn't perfect, but it is better than nothing.
Old 07-19-14, 08:44 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Do you have a dealer handy ?
Get an appointment & have them look at it. $$ for the visit but may save you some grief.
They may also have something on the lot they can persuade you to consider.