RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New 2015 RX 350 & crazy review / story

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-14, 06:48 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viperdoc
The Lexus has a MUCH more refined ride, and moreover, it drives like a much lighter car. The road noise, vibration and road harshness is markedly better in our Lexus...and that is with my car being the F Sport!
Not sure if you had the 1st gen RX, but I think it was way smoother than the 3rd gen. Granted, my 3rd gen as 19" tires on it and it is a different suspension now, but that 1st gen was sooo smooth. I just wish my new RX was a little smoother and less of a truck feel than it is, but it's a very minor annoyance.
Old 07-28-14, 09:23 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

I have been keeping an eye on suspension issues on this Forum. Bottom line, no one buys a Lexus for its stiff ride. And many here complain of just that. And yet Lexus in its infinite wisdom, made the suspension way too firm. OK, maybe the early ones were a tad soft. A friend had a 400h and it leaned too much in corners for me.

Now I would kill for that suspension. There is no reason it should ride like a truck. Early models are proof of that.

Lexus fix your suspension. It is simply too firm. I hate it when companies cannot admit they made a mistake, like Microsoft with Windows 8.

Lexus, you have messed with the beast and the result is not good.

FIX IT!

If we wanted an F150, we would have bought one of those
Old 07-28-14, 11:47 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I have been keeping an eye on suspension issues on this Forum. Bottom line, no one buys a Lexus for its stiff ride. And many here complain of just that. And yet Lexus in its infinite wisdom, made the suspension way too firm. OK, maybe the early ones were a tad soft. A friend had a 400h and it leaned too much in corners for me.

Now I would kill for that suspension. There is no reason it should ride like a truck. Early models are proof of that.

Lexus fix your suspension. It is simply too firm. I hate it when companies cannot admit they made a mistake, like Microsoft with Windows 8.

Lexus, you have messed with the beast and the result is not good.

FIX IT!

If we wanted an F150, we would have bought one of those
I am not sure what you complaint is. Suspension on my RX450h is just fine. Perfect for the couch duty and worthy of a Lexus.
Old 07-28-14, 03:37 PM
Tharr62
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi everyone.. sorry for delays in keeping up.. I have been out of town for work a lot lately.

Anyway, I am going to be taking some nice pictures of my car this coming week.. and should come out nice (I am a full-time photographer). LOL.

I want to ask..

I live in Miami, and I live in a "high rise" apartment building, and the car is kept in covered garage everyday / night etc.. I work from home, so it really is covered most of the time..

But, I do like to keep it looking clean, and sharp all the time. The problem, is this.. I know and understand that automated car washes are not the best choice for maintaining your paint, and its best to wash it yourself etc. For me, this will be impossible because of where I live, and also to be honest it can get 95F here in a hurry and I just don't have the time to allocate to washing it myself, even if I had the place to do it.

I seem to have two main options around where I live:

1. "Touchless car wash"
2. "Soft touch" car wash.

Now, I have already tried the touch less.. and was not impressed with the outcome. I also read that it uses very VERY harsh chemicals, and this can be harmful to the protective coat on the car / wax.

The soft touch car wash is directly across from where I live.. and seems to do a very good job. It is incredibly, handy and really impresses me when done. My old car (MDX) was also black in color and I never really looked for swirl marks.. but, I am sure they were there. I guess this is the price to be paid for washing like this? But, right now I am trying to weigh my options. After all, there is NO WAY I can hand wash this myself.. and even the car wash bays that have the "do it your self' jets don't allow buckets. Again, even then.. I just can't see myself spending the time to do it myself on a weekly basis.. and this is what it really needs.

If some swirl marks is all it means, and most of time they are not really noticed.. perhaps it's a fine choice? I generally wash it once a week (well, my old car I did). It rains almost everyday here in Miami during this time of year, and I don't like it to stay on the car for more then a day or two etc.

What if I brought to a detailer and had them apply two or three full coats of WAX? Would this help prevent light scratches from the automated car wash?
Old 07-28-14, 08:43 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I am not sure what you complaint is. Suspension on my RX450h is just fine. Perfect for the couch duty and worthy of a Lexus.
More of an observation than complaint. But for sure when I hit an expansion joint in the road I feel like I am driving a 2 inch thick steel plate with a wheel soldered on each corner.

I do not think it has to be that way and I think something is amiss. And I am not the only one on this Forum who has a similar issue.

I have heard the 450h does have a nice smooth ride.

I say it again, Lexus, if you are on this forum, please pay some attention! You can do better.
Old 07-28-14, 09:29 PM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
More of an observation than complaint. But for sure when I hit an expansion joint in the road I feel like I am driving a 2 inch thick steel plate with a wheel soldered on each corner.

I do not think it has to be that way and I think something is amiss. And I am not the only one on this Forum who has a similar issue.

I have heard the 450h does have a nice smooth ride.

I say it again, Lexus, if you are on this forum, please pay some attention! You can do better.
I agree that certain road configurations prompt a harsh response from the suspension.

I test drove both the 450h and 350 gas before purchasing my 350, as the 350 had a much better ride (and I'm all about the ride). It may have been the different tires, but I didn't want to take a chance.

From what I read is that car companies are trying to attract younger buyers who like that more invigorating ride, but hey, there are some that still thrive on the soft compliant ride.
Old 07-29-14, 03:26 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Reminder, we do have a thread on the RX's suspension here. Maybe you want to continue your discussion there.

Tharr62, we have the automotive care and detailing forum that covers about anything and everything to keep your RX looking great. I found this thread talking about touchless car wash places. There's another option for someone in your situation, Optimum No Rinse. The thread should also answer your questions.

Wow, you really have no excuse to post pics. Just try and not make us amateurs look bad please
Old 11-16-14, 01:40 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think OP was the only one who wanted a new MDX. They are fugly. We had a '13 Advance, it had a mess of problems. I wanted an F Sport RX but I didn't want to buy a car that's about to be redesigned and it lacked safety features.
Old 11-16-14, 09:09 AM
carsoholic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RX250 is certainly the class leader when it comes to comfort and refinement. We've owned one for 2 years now and I still agree with the write-up we did on the 2013-rx350 when we first put it out.

I've been using 89 fuel since we purchased it, and the car is driving smooth as butter.

As for the 3 hour trip, I've taken this beast for over 5 hours to vegas... the car is basically the perfect choice.

Loving the RX!
Old 11-16-14, 01:02 PM
krismorr8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Incredible review of the RX350 vs. MDX... I was considering the MDX at one point too, but couldn't be happier in choosing the RX 350!