RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New 2015 RX 350 & crazy review / story

Old 07-17-14, 01:27 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Tharr62, we have a few threads on the side moldings including an older one here and this more recent one. You'll find some useful information in there including pictures. Now I'm not aware of any issues with regards to longevity or anyone's experience removing them. The guards are adhered by tape. They'll probably stay on as long as they're properly installed. Removing them on the other hand is another story. It'll be a pain with no guarantees about damage underneath. Dirt can get trapped between the guards and the body. At least that was my experience with the 330. So that could potentially do some harm and discolor the paint underneath, more so on lighter colored cars. I hope you don't think I'm trying to dissuade you. Just trying to answer your questions.
Anita, do you have them on your 10? I'm thinking of getting them but can't decide. I like the way they look but I have a pinstripe and I'm thinking that just may be too much?
Old 07-17-14, 04:56 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

sandy, I passed on the side guards. My reasons are in the first thread I posted above. And I'm not alone. Maybe one out of ten RXs by me have them.
Old 07-17-14, 09:20 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

congratz... so glad you are enjoying your New Car, i have a 15 RX450h as a loaner CM/GR... i really like it. but we still need pics please.
Old 07-17-14, 09:47 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I read the wwhole story/review. Haha that was long and glad you like the lexus more than the acura
Old 07-18-14, 05:19 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

RON is used in Europe, they have different ratings... just fyi.
Old 07-18-14, 08:13 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kitlz
sandy, I passed on the side guards. My reasons are in the first thread I posted above. And I'm not alone. Maybe one out of ten RXs by me have them.
Thanks. I think I'll pass also
Old 07-18-14, 10:39 AM
Bucky44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also bought a 2015 Rx trading in a Mercedes Benz ML350.The Benz was a great car however the standard service cost is an OUTRAGE!To top it off they treat you like crap.
Old 07-18-14, 10:47 AM
991TurboS
Driver School Candidate

I think I would have gone nuts with as many issues as you had with your new MDX. I had a 2007 MDX from new until a couple days ago when I bought a 2015 RDX F Sport. Never any major issues with the MDX. Loved the car and still love it. I passed it on to my wife, who thinks of cars as toasters, and doesn't care what she drives, as long as it is safe. I traded in her 2003 Toyota 4Runner with 130K miles on it.

I cross shopped the new MDX, but couldn't get excited about the new styling myself. Went from unique to generic, IMO. Where the heck are the exhaust pipes on the thing? But, you can say that about the RX exhaust as well.

As far as add ons, I would recommend the mud flaps. I just installed them yesterday. If you want the BSMs, go for it. They probably use 3M tape, and it is tough as nails. They probably won't ever come off, so I would not worry about the paint, etc.

I looked into running boards for the RX, but the step in height is much lower on the RX than my MDX, they really aren't needed. Saw some RX pics with them installed and they really look unnecessary in pictures as well, way too low to the ground. They actually look like they'd bottom out on some larger speed bumps.
Old 07-22-14, 05:19 PM
Tharr62
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys..

I noticed something, and just wanted to check in to see if this is normal, and found in other RX's. The interior materials seem to have a different color to them from one part to the other. For example, I see that the glove box is kinda a blueish tint to it, vs. the deep black panel on the door which is twice as dark as the dash itself.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining.. as long as all RX's are exactly like this. LOL.

Here is a pic.. (see link).

Old 07-22-14, 10:10 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tharr62
Thanks so much! I am really happy with the new RX. First tank of gas gone, and all smiles :-) I am truly impressed with the build quality, QC, and the ride of this vehicle. I can't wait to be one of those guys who can say one day.. "Yep, bought it new in 2014, had it for 8 years.. and only put oil in it." and have some value left over in it for a new one at that time.

It's just the quality of everything inside, and out that I love so much. That super quite, soft ride over all the bumps.. makes me just snug, like a little kid wrapped up in a warm blanket on a cold day. Hard to explain the feeling, but its really nice stuff!

Yeah, I fully agree. I feel it was mostly my bad luck, as I think the frame creaking issues I had with the MDX were unique to my "copy" of the MDX. However, the other more concerning issue (electric steering shutting down) was something that other owners had also reported having.. and like me, could not replicate for dealer to fix as it happened at random (this was the last straw for me, and what really had me pull the trigger on getting rid of it). I hope that no one gets hurt with that, and that they find the issue and fix it as time goes on. There are def. some first year issues with the car, and I will bet anything that in 2 - 3 years it will once again be nice like it was up to 2013. My 2012 MDX that I had, was very nice and had no issues to speak of at all. (still not as luxury nice as the new Lexus I have, but in terms of being an issue free car it was fine). The first year issues that I noticed that will more then likely be fixed as time goes on are:

- Delays in the infotainment system. Menu's, voice command lag, etc. It's pretty bad, even with the "update" Acura did to it after it was released. They need to really jump on that, it was very fusterating and dissapointing.

- Engine covers / shield under hood. Rattles here at lower RPM's caused vibrations on the driver side under the hood. My dealer had to fix this, by using some rubber grommets, so that when the lower RPMS were present / VCM system on, the vibration from that transition would not make a distracting noise as it did.

- A-pillars inside cabin. They are very flimsy, and rattled VERY easily. When tapped, they are very free moving, and even with the dealer re-installing them they still exhibited this rattle. I personally checked 5 other MDX's on the lot while waiting for mine in service, and they all did it.

- Body gaps on the outside. I noticed, and measured several misaligned panels on my MDX. Especially in the tail gate. You can see where the tail lights meet the edge of the frame was not even on both sides, and the tailgate itself was not gapped evenly from one side to the other, and it actually was bad enough that you can see this just walking by. The only reason I noticed it, is I was loading the back, and noticed that it looked as if the tailgate was still open. It was in fact closed, but when inspected I see that one side was over 7mm different then the other side! (I measured with a digital caliper). This same issue was present on the driver side rear door too. It "stuck out" from the QTR Panel of the car apx. 4mm while the passenger side was 100% flush and perfect. Other users actually also reported issues like this, and had hood issues as well. I further confirmed this issues to be a result of the new Alabama assembly plant (best guess) as I went back to my dealer to complain, and we all saw that ALL ** ALL ** the new MDX's on the lot had the *exact* same issues with panels. They offered to send to body shop to fix, and I declined as I did not want the pain on the bolts to be broken, as it could hurt resale in the future.

- Electric Steering shut down. This is a serious problem, and needs to be addressed. I did not trust the car with myself, and my family inside. This to me, was an outrage and is a horrible failure. The fact that other (many other) owners reported the same thing on MDX.org on my thread was very alarming. This was not just me.

This is what I mean by "first year" issues, I bet anything in a few more years this will all be sorted out. They need to fire whom ever is doing the QC at the Alabama Factory and get things to tighten up. The tolerances of this car at the moment is below that on many many other sub $20K cars I have seen, and this MDX can get close to $60K maxed out.

Consumer reports is a great place to get rankings etc and I too like to look on there to see the trends, and watch their review videos (I am a member there). I do feel that they tend to stay away from talking about any specific issues, and they simply don't have enough data to rate the 2014 MY MDX, as it is still so new. I feel it comes down to the real owners to share real world ownership experiences, and read about issues that are not just unique to one, but are a pattern among many.

I do agree, and feel the MDX is a great car, and a good value.. but thats assuming you can find one that will not have the issues that many of them currently have, OR you live and not notice them if there are there and are just happy for what it is. For me, and my personality type it just was not a good match. Like a bad relationship it had to end. LOL.

So far on all accounts the Lexus RX 350 2015 is manufacuted to or above specs all around, and I have personally tested and QC'ed all the areas of the car that drove me crazy before, and everything is solid, and luxury. This, is what I want to pay for and own for a long time!
Thar62, just wanted to let you know that I just bought my 2010 RX after completing my lease terms, and I'm a happy camper. I've only had one issue on this vehicle which was covered under my regular warranty with no inconvenience to me. I'm looking forward to another four or five more years driving this vehicle.

My sister-in-law bought the 2007 RX350 that I leased and drove for four years until I got the 2010 RX, and other than one issue that she had that was covered under her extended warranty, she's still racking up the miles on that vehicle. I'm sure you will have good luck with your RX.

I have been seeing more and more of the 2014 MDX's on the road, and I actually think from the rear that they kind of look like a stretched out RX! Has anyone noticed this?
Old 07-23-14, 10:35 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Thar62, just wanted to let you know that I just bought my 2010 RX after completing my lease terms, and I'm a happy camper. I've only had one issue on this vehicle which was covered under my regular warranty with no inconvenience to me. I'm looking forward to another four or five more years driving this vehicle.

My sister-in-law bought the 2007 RX350 that I leased and drove for four years until I got the 2010 RX, and other than one issue that she had that was covered under her extended warranty, she's still racking up the miles on that vehicle. I'm sure you will have good luck with your RX.

I have been seeing more and more of the 2014 MDX's on the road, and I actually think from the rear that they kind of look like a stretched out RX! Has anyone noticed this?
I saw one in my neighborhood this week. Silver. It's nice and yes, looks like they had the RX in mind when they designed it.
Old 07-23-14, 11:12 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

(ahem, still waiting on pics)
Old 07-27-14, 08:55 AM
Browninggo
Rookie

As far as storage (center console) does the 15' have the hidden compartment as the 14's?
Old 07-27-14, 09:28 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 F sport and a 2014 MDX (Advance). The MDX is my wife's car- we got out of a honda odyssey. We got the MDX over the Lexus GX because of the difference in fuel economy. We don't really have a good reason to be tooling around town getting 14 mpg when I get 22 in the MDX doing the same driving.

However, the lexus is a nicer car. I would agree with your whole comparison. If it's true, and the RX is going to get bigger and accomadate a third row, that will eat into MDX sales like crazy. If a third row RX had been available, we would have gotten one, and I would have traded my rx in for a GS F sport.

Anyway, another big difference is the ride quality, which I didn't see that you mention. The Lexus has a MUCH more refined ride, and moreover, it drives like a much lighter car. The road noise, vibration and road harshness is markedly better in our Lexus...and that is with my car being the F Sport!! The MDX is nice, don't get me wrong, but after driving it many times, I could have sworn it was significantly heavier than the RX....nope. The MDX is 300 lbs lighter in fact. The Lexus' brakes are much better, the driving position is better, the seats are more comfortable. I could go on but I would be repeated what you posted. In fact, I am wondering if not getting the GX was a mistake.....hmmmmmm
Old 07-27-14, 01:25 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Browninggo
As far as storage (center console) does the 15' have the hidden compartment as the 14's?
Yes it does

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 2015 RX 350 & crazy review / story