RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is it worth to repair this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-14, 07:55 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Is it worth to repair this?

Sup CL gang! Well my little sister has been driving my RX for the past two weeks, she just got her license so she'll portably be driving it until my parents by her a car when she goes to college. So been driving the LX for my 850ish miles a week of commuting. Only downside is it not as chuckable as RX through traffic but you know it is comfortable as hell. Well she called me today from school and told me someone hit the RX. My first reaction was to ask she was okay but thankfully she was in class when this happened don't think sh would've been hurt anyways, lol. Someone managed to hit the front part of the rear door on the passengers side and it chipped the paint and there are some minor scratches. So from what I can tell and been told the whole door will have to be repainted and parts next to it I assume will have to blended. Im not one to fret over damages my mentality has always been is if it breaks get a new one or repair it. So thought I would ask my friends over at CL what I should do? A pic is attached. Your replies will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Is it worth to repair this?-img_0289.jpg  

Last edited by MjThind; 10-22-14 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-22-14, 08:05 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MjThind
.. Someone managed to hit the front part of the rear door on the passengers side and it chipped the paint and there are some minor scratches. So from what I can tell and been told the whole door will have to be repainted and parts next to it I assume will have to blended. So thought I would ask my friends over at CL what I should do? A pic is attached. Your replies will be appreciated.
It is difficult to see on this pic, can you post more taken from some distance, not close-up?
Old 10-22-14, 08:17 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by m1964
It is difficult to see on this pic, can you post more taken from some distance, not close-up?
Here you go is this better?
Attached Thumbnails Is it worth to repair this?-image.jpg  
Old 10-22-14, 09:00 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

From looking at it, it looks like the damage was caused by the door opening and then hitting a wall or something. I don't really see how any car can hit the RX and chip only the edge of the door and not damage anything else.

Eitherway, make sure it really is chipped paint. It looks like it might just be paint from whatever hit it and possibly can be buffed away with some scratch remover.
Old 10-22-14, 09:24 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
From looking at it, it looks like the damage was caused by the door opening and then hitting a wall or something. I don't really see how any car can hit the RX and chip only the edge of the door and not damage anything else.

Eitherway, make sure it really is chipped paint. It looks like it might just be paint from whatever hit it and possibly can be buffed away with some scratch remover.
TBH I figured that out the second I saw it, but you know I know she is scared that I will freak out if I found she hit something, but you what it happens...

Its really a chip I touched it and defiantly felt in going an indentation...
Old 10-23-14, 02:07 AM
hovbuild
Driver

First get a touch up kit and fill it in. If it is still bothering you, door edge protectors might be in order.
Old 10-23-14, 04:27 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

^^ I agree, if it's just the on the edge of the door I would get touch up paint and fill it in. From the pics I don't think its worth bringing to a body shop
Old 10-23-14, 05:36 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Is that on the back or front door? Not that it matters. If it were my car, I would take it to a paint shop for several reasons. Mostly because a paint shop will do a better job than I would, and it wouldn't be very expensive. The shop I used to fix a scratch on my wife's car (my fault!) offered to fix a small rock chip for free after I asked them what touch up kit I should buy. Also, I believe you have 3 stage paint, and color matching is more difficult even if you use Lexus touch up paint. I discovered when I tried to touch up a Starfire Pearl RX, that the touch up paint I was sold at the Lexus store was actually base coat, which is much lighter than the finished paint. The repair stood out like it had a spotlight on it! That said, I have read that Dr Colorchip does a great job of matching Lexus paint, and is relatively easy to use.
Old 10-23-14, 07:32 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Take it to a body shop and have them fix it properly.
From the pictures, it looks like the door edge was hit, probably by hitting a brick wall with the door.
My bet, your sister's story is made-up!
Old 10-23-14, 08:06 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

If it's the front part of the rear door I can't imagine how it was scraped without more damage on the door surface. Maybe when the front door was open something hit the edge. putting a package in or something. Anyway, the paint is probably faded on your 4+ yr RX so matching will be difficult. I would just use a touch up kit and maybe install door edge guards to hide it. If you go to a Lexus body shop you will pay thru the nose to repaint the whole door.
Old 10-23-14, 08:15 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

A good body shop will be able to blend everything in so the repairs are not visible.
I had the left side on my IS repaired after a semi's tire shot a rock up at my driver door and the result was just perfect.
Old 10-23-14, 05:34 PM
MjThind
Lead Lap

Thanks for the input guys! I might just have a body shop touch it up!
Old 10-24-14, 05:58 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Passenger side, right? My bet is that someone was either putting something into the front seat, or taking it out, and hit the back door (Books, backpack?). I got a ding in the inside of the back door jam when my beautiful daughter in law was putting a car seat in the back seat. We still love her ..... but it was touch and go for a while!
Old 10-24-14, 10:18 AM
droopy128
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure you can buff most of it out.. Drive it, enjoy it, don't let these little blemishes annoyed you. Our RX only have 12k miles and it got LOTS of scratches, also it doesn't help with black color too.
Old 10-24-14, 11:15 AM
harleybob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when you get it repaired do yourself a favor pick up door edge guard it's a very thin molding clear and color you don't even see it put it on the edge of all four doorson my Lexus dealer prep my new RX 350 they put them on automatically a good Lexus dealer will do that

Quick Reply: Is it worth to repair this?