RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-14, 06:18 PM
KeithPI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having just purchased a 2015 RX three weeks ago, I will tell you I am very happy with its ride. Your current RX doesn't have it. You don't have to convince any of us. I don't think the dealer will make it anywhere near what you want, and you will always be worried about what else might be wrong with it. I had one of those "what's next" cars, which is what lead me to Lexus in the first place.

I had a very comfy riding ES that I was hesitant to get out of, but I have not regretted it one day in the past 3 weeks. Get your new car and enjoy it. You deserve it.

Keith
Old 07-19-14, 07:13 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, a few years back I was out $7000 to get out of an infinity g35 manual coupe I thought I would love. I had it only 18 months before it got too exhausting to drive. Gearbox was notchy, it was loud, and it was literally a leg workout to depress the clutch. Plus my then 3 year old daughter got horribly motion sick riding in the back. I would certainly love to have that $7000 back but never once regretted getting rid of that car. When it's something you use everyday comfort should be a priority
Old 07-20-14, 09:52 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
There were some fine points in this thread and also some complete and utter silly ones.

I couldn't imagine being in the business of owning a dealership and having to have to deal with this "Lexus owes me" because I spent money there previously. Everything about your relationship with Lexus is spelled out in the contract you signed (likely without reading) and nowhere in there does it say they have to make sure you are 100% satisfied. Buy an item, use it for six months and then take it back and get a full refund? Buy an item, then leave it on their property and set off the alarm and walk away. Spend $30-50k on an item without doing your due diligence (I need navigation as my priority but I bought a vehicle with less than steller navigation) and then expect the business to take a loss because you didn't spend as wisely as you should have?

Separate rant from OP's problem.

Hopefully the Master Tech can find something, but as has been said. You have an 'out' with this vehicle and a not very expensive one at that. Jump on it. $4k to get into a NEW vehicle that rides the way you want it to. Why are we even continuing this conversation and not looking at pictures of your new ride? Go for it...
Your post is one of the most sane ones on the thread. Many ideas were silly, or just plain offensive. The dealer sounds like he has done what he should have, but he should not be buying back the vehicle because the owner doesn't like the ride. There are some customers a business just can't afford to keep. I'm certain the OP is serious about his problem, but if it is all within spec you can't expect the dealer to lose money on the deal. People buy cars all the time then decide they don't like the color, ride, features, or the ashtray is full. I have an 80 yo neighbor who bought a new RX350, drove it about 1500 miles and decided it was 'too small', so she took it back and traded it in on a bigger Lexus SUV. She got reamed but that is what she decided to do.

OP needs to spend the $4k and just move on.
Old 07-21-14, 07:04 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Evitzee
Your post is one of the most sane ones on the thread. Many ideas were silly, or just plain offensive. The dealer sounds like he has done what he should have, but he should not be buying back the vehicle because the owner doesn't like the ride. There are some customers a business just can't afford to keep. I'm certain the OP is serious about his problem, but if it is all within spec you can't expect the dealer to lose money on the deal. People buy cars all the time then decide they don't like the color, ride, features, or the ashtray is full. I have an 80 yo neighbor who bought a new RX350, drove it about 1500 miles and decided it was 'too small', so she took it back and traded it in on a bigger Lexus SUV. She got reamed but that is what she decided to do.

OP needs to spend the $4k and just move on.
I agree. Though it seems like something is actually wrong with the car. I would have to go back and re-read the earlier posts but I recall the technicians admitting that the ride was actually too stiff in the OPs car. It is also telling that the OP drove a 2015 is immediately noticed a difference. As much as the dealer "did what it should have done" they are also a business and as such will avoid having to do anything they aren't required to do that would cost them money. In the end that is all that matters to them. Once you buy the car they couldn't care less about you. I once heard that the plaques in the service departments that are for "stellar service" issued by the parent car companies are really just for service departments that make the most money, which usually equates to denying warranty claims. You are right, people change their minds all the time. That isn't what is happening here. I think there is something wrong with the car and dealer knows it. They are taking the easy line and saying that "everything looks ok" and leaving it at that...they will only help the OP if they make more money on top of what they already made on him. (My next door neighbor was the GM of a Volvo dealer in Denver until recently, if you think any dealership cares about anything other than their profits you are kidding yourself)
Old 07-21-14, 08:00 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Yesterday I rode in the back seat of our '11 RX on a long trip and I got bounced around like a BB in a box car. The rear shocks are CPO new compared to the front factory shocks. When going over a speed bump the front shocks absorb normally, then when the rear wheels go over the bump, it's as if the shocks are almost locked, and the rear end bounces ten times more than the front. My point is that maybe all four shocks on the OP's car are like my rear shocks, giving the OP a horrible ride. Just a thought.
Ray A.
Old 07-21-14, 08:20 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bottom line, with all the various opinions/experiences in this thread that Lexus would bode well to get their suspension act together. I feel like I should have my back shocks replaced just from following this thread.

Could it be as simple as they used a different supplier for shocks and they happen to be crap??? Even thought hey APPEAR to meet specs?

I for one would really like to feel the steering on this car. I have never in my life on ANY car with power steering had one where it could not be steered comfortably with one finger all day long if one desired.

Me, whenever possible, I try and buy new as it eliminates at least one possibility of being affected negatively, (accident or mistreatment) although it could still be the proverbial "lemon".

Good luck! Drive that 15 over every bump with a load in the car (like a few passenger).
Old 07-21-14, 08:57 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Bottom line, with all the various opinions/experiences in this thread that Lexus would bode well to get their suspension act together. I feel like I should have my back shocks replaced just from following this thread.

Could it be as simple as they used a different supplier for shocks and they happen to be crap??? Even thought hey APPEAR to meet specs?

I for one would really like to feel the steering on this car. I have never in my life on ANY car with power steering had one where it could not be steered comfortably with one finger all day long if one desired.

Me, whenever possible, I try and buy new as it eliminates at least one possibility of being affected negatively, (accident or mistreatment) although it could still be the proverbial "lemon".

Good luck! Drive that 15 over every bump with a load in the car (like a few passenger).
Not to go off topic, but that's because of the cars you drive.

Drive a European car, you'll see what I mean. They have heavy steering.

I prefer light steering, and that's part of the reason why I've gotten rid of all my euro/german rides.
Old 07-21-14, 09:31 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hypervish
Not to go off topic, but that's because of the cars you drive.

Drive a European car, you'll see what I mean. They have heavy steering.

I prefer light steering, and that's part of the reason why I've gotten rid of all my euro/german rides.
Well, I did have a BMW X3 before this. And I guess the steering was maybe a little tighter. But still nothing like my interpretation of what the OP expressed as far as being REALLY tight.

But I get what you are saying, and yet my "drive with a finger all day long" was possibly exaggerating a bit.
Old 08-08-14, 11:08 AM
nmtomcat
Rookie

Default What Happened?

I can't help but wonder what the outcome was on the RX350 after all the posts. Did the Lexus rep figure it out? Did you trade for the 2015?

Last edited by nmtomcat; 08-08-14 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-12-14, 07:14 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

I bought a 2011 CPO last December with 32,000 miles. I too was not thrilled with the ride over rough roads and noticed a jarring thud and not nearly enough shock absorbing. I took the car in today for general service and complained about the rear shocks. They test drove it and noticed what I noticed and agreed to replace the shocks under warranty. They said it is now a different part number which might indicate an upgraded part replacing what might have been a substandard part, but that is only conjecture. It may be that my shocks were just defective, it happens. I will let you know if the ride improves. I will admit that I have always thought that my dealership was generally great at making the customer happy so not all other dealerships may agree to do same(Bridgewater in NJ). Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 08-12-14, 08:54 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Update from OP please!
Old 08-22-14, 01:33 PM
relax221
Driver

Default Rx 350 suspension system

why did lexus ever change the suspension in 2010......i just bought a 2013 rx 350 and very dissatisfied with the ride ? previously i had a 2006 and a 2008 which rode beautiful
!

Last edited by lobuxracer; 05-08-15 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 04:35 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Our 2010 rides fine. Perhaps you didn't take a long enough test drive.
Old 08-22-14, 05:38 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Merged with thread on same topic.

relax221, first request, please turn off the cap lock. No need to shout at us. A few things to do, check the tire pressure. Dealers love to over inflate. Let us know tire brand. Some are better than others. And if you read through this thread you can find a few other possible causes. Good luck.
Old 08-23-14, 08:02 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by relax221
WHY DID LEXUS EVER CHANGE THE SUSPENSION IN 2010......I JUST BOUGHT A 2013 RX 350 AND VERY DISSATISFIED WITH THE RIDE ? PREVIOUSLY I HAD A 2006 AND A 2008 WHICH RODE BEAUTIFUL !
A pretty simple reason really. Those early RXs rode great when you went in a straight line but the ultra soft suspension increased the rollover risk dramatically. You won't find that soft a suspension in any recent model year SUVs simply because of the safety issues. I test drove a 2008 years ago with my wife and after taking one normal speed turn in a residential area she wanted out. The car felt extremely unstable. If you want that soft of a suspension you need to get into a sedan with a significantly lower center of gravity.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)