RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 04:55 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
I have a bit of an update, I just got my car back from Lexus. I still don't know what part they replaced as they said they'd mail me the work order (slightly odd in my opinion). But whatever they replaced has helped a very slight bit. The bumps don't give as much as a thud as they used to before. I will update this again when/if I get the work order. As always if you have any questions in regards to anything just let me know, I'll try my level best to help
Update** I have taken my Lexus back to the dealer for the suspension issue. They told be they replaced the whole suspension last time which I think is nonsense. Other than that I really have no idea what they're gonna do this time.
I also recently noticed another issue with my Lexus. The auto folding mirrors are scraping the paint of the car.
Did they ever mail you the work order? If they didn't list it they didn't do it.
Old 03-24-14, 04:59 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^ dat dude. Thanks for the update and post what they say or do. If still unsatisfactory, change dealer, honestly. I'm very happy with my dealer's service as they never gave me a hard time.

The scraping of paint is "normal" as per some responses members got from the dealer. I have that too on the bottom "arm" holding the mirror if this is what you are referring to. There was a thread people spoke about it and it seems to have affected (or be mostly common with) Canadian built RXs if I recall. It never bothered me enough to ask to get it fixed since it's not visible when mirrors are out. But I can see how it can bother some folks.

And as per RX330inFL, he's right. If they changed parts and worked on your vehicle, warranty or otherwise, when you pick up your car, they always give you the work order in person (they don't mail it here in Canada) and go over what they did.
Old 03-24-14, 06:33 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Did they ever mail you the work order? If they didn't list it they didn't do it.
The fact that they were weary about giving me the work order makes me question if they even did anything.
Old 03-24-14, 06:35 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^ dat dude. Thanks for the update and post what they say or do. If still unsatisfactory, change dealer, honestly. I'm very happy with my dealer's service as they never gave me a hard time.

The scraping of paint is "normal" as per some responses members got from the dealer. I have that too on the bottom "arm" holding the mirror if this is what you are referring to. There was a thread people spoke about it and it seems to have affected (or be mostly common with) Canadian built RXs if I recall. It never bothered me enough to ask to get it fixed since it's not visible when mirrors are out. But I can see how it can bother some folks.

And as per RX330inFL, he's right. If they changed parts and worked on your vehicle, warranty or otherwise, when you pick up your car, they always give you the work order in person (they don't mail it here in Canada) and go over what they did.
That's pretty bad of Lexus Canada to have such quality control issues. What dealer do you recommend? I always thought Northwest Lexus was good but I guess I could be wrong.
Old 03-24-14, 07:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Just further south and west, check out ErinPark Lexus. Great service department and staff. Been dealing with the same staff for 6 years now. Here's what they did, without a single hesitation, to ensure my complete satisfaction:

- They replaced my 2IS headrest because I pointed out a slightly crooked stitch.
- They replaced a tampered transmission component (RXh) at zero cost and was just over warranty (don't ask, I tried a 3rd party mechanic chain - never again).
- They replaced my scratched up CT steering wheel.
- Other smaller things I was picky about including some minor squeaks along the way, they dealt with without ever making me feel like I was a pain asking for too much.

PS, I walked into the Service Dept at Northwest once about a years ago and it was my last. Took several minutes for someone to serve me on a question I had about a part. The man who eventually served me made me feel like I was bothering him somewhat. The other staff who was there were chit-chatting and looked uninterested in serving. Was somewhat chaotic and disorganized. Very un-Lexus-like. Sorry to bother you folks, bye!

Good luck

Last edited by corradoMR2; 03-24-14 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-24-14, 07:39 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Just further south and west, check out ErinPark Lexus. Great service department and staff. Been dealing with the same staff for 6 years now. Here's what they did, without a single hesitation, to ensure my complete satisfaction:

- They replaced my 2IS headrest because I pointed out a slightly crooked stitch.
- They replaced a tampered transmission component (RXh) at zero cost and was just over warranty (don't ask, I tried a 3rd party mechanic chain - never again).
- They replaced my scratched up CT steering wheel.
- Other smaller things I was picky about including some minor squeaks along the way, they dealt with without ever making me feel like I was a pain asking for too much.

PS, I walked into the Service Dept at Northwest once about a years ago and it was my last. Took several minutes for someone to serve me on a question I had about a part. The man who eventually served me made me feel like I was bothering him somewhat. The other staff who was there were chit-chatting and looked uninterested in serving. Was somewhat chaotic and disorganized. Very un-Lexus-like. Sorry to bother you folks, bye!

That's quite odd. Our experiences seem to be quite opposite. I've had nothing but bad experiences at Erin Park and good ones at Northwest. If nothing gets done at Northwest I might just go back to Erinpark and try my luck again. Thanks for the tip!
Good luck
That's quite odd. Our experiences seem to be quite opposite. I've had nothing but bad experiences at Erin Park and good ones at Northwest. If nothing gets done at Northwest I might just go back to Erinpark and try my luck again. Thanks for the tip!
Old 03-24-14, 07:41 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^ haha weird! Yeah try again, you never know. I may try Northwest one day again to give them another shot.
Old 03-25-14, 07:59 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that they were weary about giving me the work order makes me question if they even did anything.
That is about as weird as it gets. "replaced the whole suspension?" That does not even make sense. What PARTS of the suspension... ALL of them??? Or did they mean they replaced the whole CHASSIS. WTF!

I WANT WHAT THEY ARE SMOKING
Old 03-25-14, 08:10 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CapeDave
That is about as weird as it gets. "replaced the whole suspension?" That does not even make sense. What PARTS of the suspension... ALL of them??? Or did they mean they replaced the whole CHASSIS. WTF!

I WANT WHAT THEY ARE SMOKING
Well I finally got some clarification as I requested a printed copy of the work order, here is what they did:

Replaced rear stabilizer bushings
Replaced rear shocks

My auto folding mirrors have also scratched the housing it sits on, Lexus states they have to take pictures and send them to Lexus Canada. I have never heard of that before.

Next time I'm in I'll ask for you.
Old 03-26-14, 12:10 AM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally, some hard info! Thanks! I am going to get very specific with my dealer and use these as a suggestion to take a look. The jarring is really not fun when it happens. Feels like a dump truck I once drove.

One thing for sure: They are smoking the GOOD STUFF
Old 03-29-14, 11:30 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Well I finally got some clarification as I requested a printed copy of the work order, here is what they did:

Replaced rear stabilizer bushings
Replaced rear shocks

My auto folding mirrors have also scratched the housing it sits on, Lexus states they have to take pictures and send them to Lexus Canada. I have never heard of that before.

Next time I'm in I'll ask for you.
Discovered something recently. While going over a speed bump in a parking lot, I noticed the front wheels took it nicely with acceptable smoothness. The rear wheels bounced us up an down like a BB in a boxcar. Now I think the rear shocks are too stiff for whatever reason, since they don't match the shock absorbing ability of the front shocks. I realize the engine weight up front and lack of weight at the back will contribute to this situation. When I go back to the dealers because they did not rotate my tires as part of an oil change, I will discuss this with them, and keep you posted.
'11RX350 CPO.
Ray A.
Old 03-29-14, 02:57 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by raylor4
Discovered something recently. While going over a speed bump in a parking lot, I noticed the front wheels took it nicely with acceptable smoothness. The rear wheels bounced us up an down like a BB in a boxcar. Now I think the rear shocks are too stiff for whatever reason, since they don't match the shock absorbing ability of the front shocks. I realize the engine weight up front and lack of weight at the back will contribute to this situation. When I go back to the dealers because they did not rotate my tires as part of an oil change, I will discuss this with them, and keep you posted.
'11RX350 CPO.
Ray A.
Ah that makes sense. Please let me know as I'll then forward the info you give me to my advisor. Thanks!
Old 07-11-14, 02:43 PM
park10
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Horrible Ride -- RX350

Friends,
I bought a 2013 new RX-350 (demo vehicle 5k miles) 6 months ago, with premium package and display audio. The vehicle was made in Canada (VIN starting with 2T)

I had bought with so much anticipation of a smooth comfortable quiet ride. It was my signature purchase. Unfortunately, I regret buying the vehicle. The ride is very harsh, I can feel vibrations of every little stone / unevenness of road, every expansion joint on concrete road/ every little small bump --you get it... I feel like everytime I go over a small bump, somebody is shooting me from underneath.
I almost cringe having to drive it. I cannot wait to get out of the car when driving...Its making me frustrated / angry.
I believe something is wrong with the suspension / shock absorbers etc.. I called Lexus and they sent me to the dealer, where a technician and I rode 3 different vehicles (one with JT Vin and other with 2T vin). The technician accepted that my ride was harsher and more vibration than JT vin vehicle and it was not much different from 2T vehicle. At first he thought it was the tires (I have Michelin - which he said were firm and harsh ride but last much longer, other vehicles had Dunlop which gave smoother ride but didn't last long).
Anyway, he said there was nothing wrong with the car and that there are differences in way Canada made cars drive versus Japan made cars drive, and that's all there is to it.
I argued again with Lexus and finally they agreed to have same dealer make an inspection of the suspension / shocks system to see if something was wrong.
My question is those people doing the inspection are field service technicians and not Lexus engineers, so all they can do is make sure that parts are there and maybe take some measurements. Can they really tune the suspension and make the ride somewhat comfortable ??

Anyway - my question is -- aren't we as Lexus owners having paid premium for the car, entitled to a comfortable smooth quiet glide-like ride ??? or is that just marketing ???
I am just looking at some help from the experienced members of the forum...What should I do ??

We also have Toyota Highlander limited - and it is so quiet and a cushy ride, which is making the lexus ride that much more glaring.
thanks a lot friends,
hoping for some good advice ---
regards
Old 07-11-14, 04:13 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Appears you are wishing for a Lexus LS460 & it's ride qualities. The RX350 is a mid-sized SUV and as such is not designed to give the ride of a Luxury Sedan I'm on my third RX350 (currently a 2015) with Micheleins and enjoye it immensely. The Ride is Good, I did not expect it to be an LS460 RIDE and was forewarned by the sales rep.. I had a series of LS before switching to the RX.
Old 07-11-14, 04:31 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I almost wonder if somehow , in a 1 in a million chance, you got the suspension parts (springs + shocks) of an F-Sport. The F-Sport is firmer riding than any other RX I owned. The RX F-Sport has Tokico shocks I noticed at the rear of mine when I removed the wheels. Check if it's like this:

Also, don't take for granted your tire pressure is fine. It may be too high contributing to the harshness. Should be set at 32-33 PSI.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen Lexus RX hard suspension (merged threads)