Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Horrible Ride -- RX350

Old 07-13-14, 08:17 PM   #31
Droid13
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat dude View Post
Same exact thing happened to me, they replaced the bushings for me (there was another part too but I forgot what it was) after they did that the car has been riding much better.
Something like this sounds more than likely to me, especially how you describe how utterly terrible the ride is. The RX is not going to feel like a car, but it's certainly far from what you're describing. My feeling is its possible that the suspension looks ok from underneath but if anything is binding or out of spec the only way might be to disassemble and inspect/replace components individually.

It might help the dealership if you can point to a specific area. Front/back or left/right. Pick your favorite bump and try left side or right side at a speed that you can separate the feel of front from back impact.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

2010 RX450h Aurora White
Droid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 08:29 PM   #32
dat dude
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid13 View Post
Something like this sounds more than likely to me, especially how you describe how utterly terrible the ride is. The RX is not going to feel like a car, but it's certainly far from what you're describing. My feeling is its possible that the suspension looks ok from underneath but if anything is binding or out of spec the only way might be to disassemble and inspect/replace components individually.

It might help the dealership if you can point to a specific area. Front/back or left/right. Pick your favorite bump and try left side or right side at a speed that you can separate the feel of front from back impact.
Well I used to notice the back would jump up considerably more than the rest of the car if I went over a bump. I told them ( the dealer) and they gave me a loaner and 3 days later I got my car. If you like I can dig out the invoice and tell you what they did.

Previous:
2004 Mercedes-Benz E500- gone but forgotten
1999 Lexus RX300- gone but not forgotten, 2010 Toyota Corolla
dat dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 09:06 PM   #33
park10
Driver School Candidate

Hi- Thanks a lot for the responses...
DatDude:-- Can you please look up your invoice and inform me ? I can use it in my discussion with technician on Tuesday..
I have an inspection scheduled on Tuesday. I am going to mention and push them on all the points you all have mentioned in your responses..
To all saying that this is not a car, get used to the rough ride --- well, I had a Mitsubishi Lancer and that drove smoother/softer than this....are you telling me that I cant even expect a Mitsubishi lancer kind of ride for $30k more.....also I have Toyota highlander and that drives buttery soft....
To repeat, I test drove a new 2015 J vin RX, and that drove noticeably softer/smoother. also the car felt nice and loose, u could turn steering wheel with a finger....on mine, I get a forearm workout. it is stiff..
thanks and regards...
park10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 06:32 AM   #34
TorontoRX
Rookie

park10 -

Good luck with this and hopefully the inspection will turn something up. The issues you are experiencing doesn't sound like what Lexus had in mind for any of their customers, but on the other hand, as customers we have to be realistic and have fair expectations.

My 2013 RX was built in Canada as was my previous 2010. Both cars are truly smooth and no complaints on either one, but the 2013 is a bit firmer of a ride as the 2010, IMHO, was a bit squishy and spongy. Having said that, the ride is no where near the harsh ride you've described.

all the best and hoping this all gets resolved to your satisfaction very soon.
TorontoRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 06:52 AM   #35
nmtomcat
Rookie

After reading all the posts, I wonder if you RX might have been wrecked in the past. Have you seen a Carfax on it? That might or might not show an accident. Another thing you might consider is having the RX inspected by an independent mechanic to check for previous wreck damage. Several years ago, I was considering buying a used car that looked great. I had my mechanic look at it, and he didn't even take it inside his shop or drive it, but showed me the damage out in the parking lot.
nmtomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 08:15 AM   #36
acitydwelr
Driver School Candidate

If this car came second hand, i wonder if the car is running on runflats. These add weight at the four corners and are incredibly harsh on ride quality.

Another factor is that running 19" wheels is just something that comes with having lower sidewalls. if one compared to a rx350 with 18" there is a significant amount of compliancy and cushion that the 19's simply do not offer. its one of the compromises to having additional road feel.

my 2010 rx350 came with 19's and the ride was noticibly harsher than i had liked but it was compliant enough given the weight and having owned several trucks and suv's before... it was within reason and range for the type of vehicle. you wont find a car like ride in this one.
acitydwelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 08:17 AM   #37
raylor4
Lead Lap

Dat Dude Said: Well I used to notice the back would jump up considerably more than the rest of the car if I went over a bump. I told them ( the dealer) and they gave me a loaner and 3 days later I got my car. If you like I can dig out the invoice and tell you what they did.

Same here. I did some digging and found out that during the 161 point CPO inspection, the dealer replaced the rear shocks due to leaking. Don't know what kind went in. This gave the rear more "jump up" than the front, but nowhere what you are describing. Looking forward to the resolution of your teeth-rattling ride.
Ray A.
Old 07-14-14, 08:56 AM   #38
CapeDave
Pole Position

The tight steering also speaks volumes. In all my readings on his forum, I do not think I ever heard that mentioned. I can drive mine with a finger if I wanted to, and that is how it should be.

If it were my car, that factor alone would cause me enough concern to return the car.

Hopefully the dealer will work with you. If not, I would not hesitate to go "up the ladder" all the way to the top with your complaints. This does not sound right at all.
CapeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 09:21 AM   #39
lexus114
Lexus Champion

no capedave, this doesnt sound right. i have no complaints at all with my steering or the ride. in fact, the steering feels the same as my 05 rx with mobil-1 in the power steering reservoir.

2012 Mercedes-Benz C300 4 Matic Sport Sedan (wife`s car)
lexus114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 12:08 PM   #40
Clutchless
Pole Position

Some of this information is in your warranty book. If the dealer service department is unable to resolve your issue, contact the Zone Representative. They are master technicians-diagnosticians etc who travel around to the dealers to resolve technical problems the dealer cannot fix, and also to head off lemon law cases before the customer gets really irritated. The warranty book in your car will have the contact information, it is probably also on one of the Lexus sites.
Clutchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 01:06 PM   #41
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic
Trader Score: (1)

Send a message via AIM to oohpapi44 Send a message via MSN to oohpapi44 Send a message via Yahoo to oohpapi44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchless View Post
Some of this information is in your warranty book. If the dealer service department is unable to resolve your issue, contact the Zone Representative. They are master technicians-diagnosticians etc who travel around to the dealers to resolve technical problems the dealer cannot fix, and also to head off lemon law cases before the customer gets really irritated. The warranty book in your car will have the contact information, it is probably also on one of the Lexus sites.

That's if there is an issue. So far everything in this thread is very subjective to say the least.

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

2001 - GS430, modded a lil bit
2011 - RX450h
oohpapi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 03:04 PM   #42
Clutchless
Pole Position

Texas lemon law does not cover used vehicles. http://www.carlemon.com/lemon/TX_LemonGuide.html

Your best bet is to keep complaining and contact the zone rep, then complain further up the corporate ladder if not satisfied.
Clutchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 03:23 PM   #43
CapeDave
Pole Position

Something is definitely wrong. Keep complaining. Make them work to solve your issue. Give them job security
CapeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 04:59 PM   #44
park10
Driver School Candidate

Hi, Thanks again.
The vehicle is Not Used. It is a demo vehicle, never titled before, and was sold as new. I did contact the Lexus company customer service, was assigned a Case manager (I think he is zone 2 rep).. He told me he will only go by what the dealer technician tells him..and their objective is to find out if there is anything mechanically wrong with the car....If the dealer tech tells him No, then that's what it is.....
He is not willing to entertain me much on the Ride quality / smoothness and other issues. The dealer tech told him that after test driving 3 cars with me (1 J vin, other 2T vin) that in general the 2T vins ride differently more harsh ride, but there is nothing mechanically wrong with my individual car...all 2t rides different than J vin.. so I should have bought J vin.....----This is just hogwash that the dealer tech is feeding the zone rep...and zone rep says that dealer is saying nothing mechanically wrong with your car,..so that's it....we cant do anything.....
I feel like I am banging head on a wall....Anyway, tomorrow at least they have agreed to inspect the suspension. I am dropping the vehicle in the morning and asked to pick up in the afternoon....This is my last bet I think......How do I convince them anymore ???? my fear again is dealer will say We Inspected and everything is great....then what do I do ????
How can I get the master techs/diagnosticians that travel around the country -- to look up my car ????
thanks again
park10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-14, 07:44 PM   #45
raylor4
Lead Lap

Hi Park10,
I've been reading this thread with great interest. I sense a feeling from you that you fear they will not find anything wrong and therefore there will be no resolution to your dilemma, and you will have wasted your time. I offer as a suggestion and only a suggestion, that this feeling may be transferring to them so that they are prone to not find any problems.
If it were me, I would look them straight in the eye and say something like: "I KNOW there is something wrong with this car and I KNOW you can find it. I have great confidence in you." Be persistent.
Just my two cents, or since it's Lexus, three cents.
Ray A.
Old 07-14-14, 07:44 PM