Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Horrible Ride -- RX350

Old 07-12-14, 03:47 PM   #16
LeoDLion
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)

The RX-350 is not quiet and not smooth. But it is better than most suvs in that area. We had a Cadillac Seville- that was pretty smooth and quiet.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
LeoDLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 04:59 PM   #17
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

i find it funny how the words smooth and quiet became subjective.
without knowing, what your previous cars were, it's hard to argue.

get one of this!Click the image to open in full size.

i remember a youtube video where the guy compared Lexus RX 350 vs the competition
and the RX 350 won.

i'll post it when i find it.
2010 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Fuji White
markrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 05:46 PM   #18
RGSW
Driver

Go for the 2015 RX350, two years newer for $7000, sounds like a good deal.
RGSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-14, 09:58 PM   #19
dat dude
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by park10 View Post
Friends,
I bought a 2013 new RX-350 (demo vehicle 5k miles) 6 months ago, with premium package and display audio. The vehicle was made in Canada (VIN starting with 2T)

I had bought with so much anticipation of a smooth comfortable quiet ride. It was my signature purchase. Unfortunately, I regret buying the vehicle. The ride is very harsh, I can feel vibrations of every little stone / unevenness of road, every expansion joint on concrete road/ every little small bump --you get it... I feel like everytime I go over a small bump, somebody is shooting me from underneath.
I almost cringe having to drive it. I cannot wait to get out of the car when driving...Its making me frustrated / angry.
I believe something is wrong with the suspension / shock absorbers etc.. I called Lexus and they sent me to the dealer, where a technician and I rode 3 different vehicles (one with JT Vin and other with 2T vin). The technician accepted that my ride was harsher and more vibration than JT vin vehicle and it was not much different from 2T vehicle. At first he thought it was the tires (I have Michelin - which he said were firm and harsh ride but last much longer, other vehicles had Dunlop which gave smoother ride but didn't last long).
Anyway, he said there was nothing wrong with the car and that there are differences in way Canada made cars drive versus Japan made cars drive, and that's all there is to it.
I argued again with Lexus and finally they agreed to have same dealer make an inspection of the suspension / shocks system to see if something was wrong.
My question is those people doing the inspection are field service technicians and not Lexus engineers, so all they can do is make sure that parts are there and maybe take some measurements. Can they really tune the suspension and make the ride somewhat comfortable ??

Anyway - my question is -- aren't we as Lexus owners having paid premium for the car, entitled to a comfortable smooth quiet glide-like ride ??? or is that just marketing ???
I am just looking at some help from the experienced members of the forum...What should I do ??

We also have Toyota Highlander limited - and it is so quiet and a cushy ride, which is making the lexus ride that much more glaring.
thanks a lot friends,
hoping for some good advice ---
regards
Same exact thing happened to me, they replaced the bushings for me (there was another part too but I forgot what it was) after they did that the car has been riding much better.

Previous:
2004 Mercedes-Benz E500- gone but forgotten
1999 Lexus RX300- gone but not forgotten
dat dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 05:34 AM   #20
sandy14
Driver

Quote:
Sterling McCall Lexus, Houston TX
Lexus of Clear Lake has a better service department. Long way away I know., but they won't give you the run around.
2002 RX 300 White / Lt. Grey (Sold)

sandy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 07:51 AM   #21
viperdoc
Driver

There must be something wrong if you notice that bad of a ride on a base rx with 18 inch tires. My f sport doesn't ride as rough as you are describing except perhaps over the roughest of roads and that is on 19 inch wheels. I will say though that the Michelin latitude tours I have are horrible. I hate them- very rough ride and tread wear has been abysmal. Funny thing is that we just got a 2014 acura mdx to replace our minivan and it has a significantly softer suspension than my f sport. But when going over road imperfections (like cracks and potholes) my wife commented that the acura seems very rough ... Guess which tires the acura has on it....Michelin latitude tour hps. So while I do think the tires can play a big role, you should not be feeling that horrible of a ride on 18s.
viperdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 08:03 AM   #22
CapeDave
Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I can share a little incident I had once..bought a BMW from Vancouver and drove it home...drove it for a few months and several times it bottomed out over incidental road rash..not real deep holes but still bottomed out..as in hit the top of the spring travel which I found very odd...the next time I had it in for service I asked the tech about this and low and behold they found after the car was take off the rail car used for shipping they had not removed one of the shipping nylon block spacers used to stop the chassis from bouncing excessively during it's train ride...just a thought..
A very interesting thought.
CapeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 08:09 AM   #23
CapeDave
Driver

Something sounds way off. I wonder if there is a very good private mechanic who could ride with you and help you isolate the issue so that you could go back to Lexus and say to check "this" or check "that".

This would give you some objectivity from the standard Lexus line, "It all looks good to us" or "within specs" type of thing.
CapeDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 09:27 AM   #24
corradoMR2
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrivers View Post

i remember a youtube video where the guy compared Lexus RX 350 vs the competition
and the RX 350 won.

LOL, yes, I know which one you're referring to, from TFL cars against the SRX. See at around 5:40.

corradoMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 10:11 AM   #25
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Ask them to replace the Michelins with Bridgestones. If they're a good dealership, they should be willing to do so (even if they charge you a little bit) assuming this was a CPO car.

If they won't do that, ask them to give you the full purchase price as a credit on a new 2015, and take your 2013 back as a tradein.

If they're not willing to do so, sell the car. If you got such a great deal, you should be able to get your money back.

- Sport Package with 19" Alloy Wheels
- Premium Package
- Tow Prep Package, aftermarket hitch and cover
- Backup Monitor
- Sonar Parking Assist
- Wood/Leather Steering Wheel & Shift Knob
Sandi_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 11:18 AM   #26
Lexipro
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGSW View Post
Go for the 2015 RX350, two years newer for $7000, sounds like a good deal.
I agree. Maybe get it down to $6000. Since it's a demo the frame might be damaged. The thing I like most about my RX is the steering.
Lexipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 04:21 PM   #27
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrivers View Post

get one of this!...

and the RX 350 won.

But that device only measures decibels. You need some kind of a vibrometer for smoothness.
LeoDLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 04:54 PM   #28
SexyLexiRx
Driver School Candidate

Default New 2015 for 7000$ more sounds like deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexipro View Post
I agree. Maybe get it down to $6000. Since it's a demo the frame might be damaged. The thing I like most about my RX is the steering.
Btw, good work, finding such a good deal on a 2013 Rx, but sorry to hear that it is not working out. Go for the new 2015 upgrade, if you can still get a nice finance rate, like you may have had.

I just bought my 2013 Rx, coming from a 1998 Chevy C1500 short-bed truck. What you are describing sounds more like my old truck, than the Rx.

Thoughts on the possible issue at hand... Tires can loose their elasticity over time, especially in the hot Texas sun, it can drastically affect the ride. But I think this takes some time, maybe check your "born on" date code of your tires. Are you sure that you are not in an F-sport version? (I test drove and did not like the ride at all!) If you have 18" wheels, they should ride smoother than the 19", that I have.
SexyLexiRx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 06:19 PM   #29
hlynnivory
Driver School Candidate

Default My 2013 RX 350

My RX 350 rides smooth. Purchased it brand new only 3 miles. She is 1 year old. Perfect shape. No problems. Sorry you're having problems.
hlynnivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 07:08 PM   #30
niklow
Rookie

Quote:
I also today test drove a new 2015 RX350 (J vin number), and the difference was definitely noticeable.
Aren't all of them made in NA?
niklow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-14, 07:08 PM

Tags
2015, 350, canada, gs, hurt, japan, lexus, made, meter, noise, put, recorder, rx, shocks, spacer, springs