RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010+ Rx Models - Buy? First lexus!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 07:49 PM
rishsngh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2010+ Rx Models - Buy? First lexus!

Hey guys,

I am new to this thread, in fact this is my first post. I am planning on buying a RX. 2010+ due to better crash rating that older models, hopefully?. As i have never owned a lexus before so have some questions.

Q1. How is maintenance, i have heard older models had better quality?

Q2. In terms of repairing, can a Toyota mechanic be approached or only lexus dealer.

Q3. Any due diligence/inspection for common lexus problems during test drive.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-09-14, 10:43 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rishsngh
Hey guys,

I am new to this thread, in fact this is my first post. I am planning on buying a RX. 2010+ due to better crash rating that older models, hopefully?. As i have never owned a lexus before so have some questions.

Q2. In terms of repairing, can a Toyota mechanic be approached or only lexus dealer.

Thanks in advance!
We've only been owners for eight months, but here are my two cents:
1. Maintenance costs more, but you get more. Frequency and severity is no more than any other comparable car. You can take your Lexus to Toyota for routine maintenance and repairs. Not warranty work.
From what I've read here, breakdowns are slim to none and Slim's out of town. Quality is excellent.
2.See #1
3. During the test drive, I like to concentrate on the comfort and handling of the car. If it doesn't feel right at the beginning, it never will. Try to drive on familiar roads so you can concentrate on the feel of the car, not traffic or road distractions. Radio off. Check tread depth. If the tires look like they've got less than a year left, ask for new ones. Couldn't hurt. Do you know about Lexus Certified Pre-Owned cars? (CPO) These are cars that have been gone over with a fine tooth comb to make them as close to new as possible. They are frequently lease returns where the maintenance has been done by Lexus. Good luck. Please let us know your experience and decision.
Ray A.
Old 07-10-14, 06:51 PM
kahuna415
Driver School Candidate

Default Be careful...

Just purchased a CPO 2010 RX-350 last week.
Even though they said they did a 161 pint inspection, double check the car, I found many, maybe 6 or 7 things that were not fixed or not ok. See my recent post by kahuna415"need your advice".
Good luck, I hope it works out for you and you'll learn a lot from these guys on the forum.
Old 07-10-14, 07:46 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If the car you decide on has been well maintained, you should be a new and very satisfied Lexus owner . Raylor4's post was excellent, I agree with everything he said.
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-14, 08:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

First, welcome to CL and to Lexus!

1. Maintenance: Brakes, tires, oil/lube, all routine stuff. No major issues with the RX. In fact, it's the most dependable SUV Here's just two URLs. Needless to say. there are tens of quality and reliability awards for the RX...

The RX has top dependability: http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/201...ss-Release.htm
http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm

2. Yes, Toyota can repair and do non-warranty maintenance. Mechanically, the RX is similar to the Highlander.

3. No major or common issues reported. However, these are some I can recall I've noticed come across in this forum: Check for any pulling/alignment or steering feel/looseness issues. Check for any rattles mostly coming from the rear seats and/or tonneau cover. Check your front side windows for a Lamisafe or laminate (or similar) label - or roll down the window and you should see triple-pane glass in the cross-section. Early 2010 models had the lesser sound-proofed glass. Check for any damaged shocks - oil seepage. Check for any wind noise/whistling sound - could be a window seal issue or roof rack issue. Some have had defective 12V batteries. Check the fuel filler door for unleaded or premium fuel required. 2010+2011 took premium fuel. 2012+ just regular. Check the rear power hatch opens and closes smoothly. The rest, it's testing all the features of the car and checking for wear/tear, and any visual blemishes (leather, paint, etc).

Happy shopping and keep us posted.
Old 07-11-14, 05:37 AM
dwlink
Driver

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!
1. Maintenance is great - although I would recommend to do the easy things like filter changes and key fob battery swaps yourself. Dealers will penny and dime you on those simple things.

2. Yes as other have mentioned, although there probably won't be a substantial price difference between the two for the same repair. I figure its probably worth it to have a lexus loaner over a toyota.

3. With all used cars, I will test every button inside. Aside of obvious things like cosmetic defects, make sure all windows, doors, trunk open and close smoothly. If its summer, crank the AC to max to check for operation as well as the ventilated seats. If its winter make sure the heater works as do the heated seats. Keep the driver side window cracked to listen for noises either coming from the engine up front or the brakes. Listen for drive train whine. Inspect the tires for tread depth as well as the brakes for pad thickness.