RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Question to fix problem of my mother's RX350

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 09:25 PM
skaius
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to fix problem of my mother's RX350

Hello,

My mother owns 2011 Rx350.. she bought it used few month ago. Car's great for what it is and makes me feel relieved to think my mother's driving a car that is quite safe and reliable.

That being said, the car's audio have created some problem recently. I have no idea how it happened other than my mother's assumption that her water spill at the trunk may have caused the problem. She have no idea how much water was spilled and not even sure if that is exact reason. (It's about that time frame that audio started having problem, hence the assumption)

So, the problem is that the sound only comes out from the front speakers. I am not sure how many speaker there are at the front, but it is as if fader is set to front all the way. If I move the fader to rear, it kills the sound from the front and since there is no sound at the rear, it just dies out as soon as fader moves all the way to the rear. So with the fader and balance at the center, sound is only at the front and plus there is no bass sound also, assuming subwoofer (if any) is at the back and not working also.

My mother claims that it comes back to normal sometimes but I am not sure how often that is since I do not drive that car too often and I just found out the problem today.

Anyone have idea on the reason of this problem? and how to fix it?

I will take it to the dealer if I can't DIY the problem but it would be much better if I can just fix it on my own.. if the problem is not much of a big deal that is.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-10-14, 08:13 AM
chief21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skaius
Hello,

So, the problem is that the sound only comes out from the front speakers. I am not sure how many speaker there are at the front, but it is as if fader is set to front all the way. If I move the fader to rear, it kills the sound from the front and since there is no sound at the rear, it just dies out as soon as fader moves all the way to the rear. So with the fader and balance at the center, sound is only at the front and plus there is no bass sound also, assuming subwoofer (if any) is at the back and not working also.

My mother claims that it comes back to normal sometimes but I am not sure how often that is since I do not drive that car too often and I just found out the problem today.

Anyone have idea on the reason of this problem? and how to fix it?

D
My first thought is that a connection between the head unit and the rear of the RX is compromised. Unfortunately, I am not able to tell you WHERE that connection might be. The most likely location would be at or near the head unit, but it could just as well be a connection near the rear speakers / sub-woofer or somewhere in between.

I would look for a plastic (molex-type) multi-pin connector. If found, the connections could be slightly corroded (disconnect and reconnect several times to clean the connections) or maybe just loose.

However, unless you are familiar with removing and reinstalling head units, this job might best be left to a professional.
Old 07-11-14, 05:20 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

If this helps, I have some pics attached of the trunk with the floor remove. You can see connectors you might want to troubleshoot on at the rear.

Note, I have the Mark Levinson sub to the left.

Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Question to fix problem of my mother's RX350-2014-02-08-16.20.06.jpg   Question to fix problem of my mother's RX350-2014-02-09-12.22.41.jpg  
Old 07-11-14, 08:30 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,097 Likes on 936 Posts

This should be under warranty.