RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Retrofit "Brake Override System" to Canadian-market 2010s

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 01:32 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofit "Brake Override System" to Canadian-market 2010s

As a result of a class-action suit, Lexus Canada is retrofitting a Brake Override System (BOS) to certain Lexus models of certain model years.

I'm seeing conflicting information whether my 2010 RX 350 (production date = April 2010) is eligible for the BOS retrofit or not. The local Lexus service and the national Lexus Customer Service say, "no", but I'm skeptical of their answer. I believe U.S.-market RX 350s did not have the BOS in 2010, but did in 2011, and I would think the Canadian-market ones would be the same way.

I don't really know how the Lexus BOS works - I would guess that if I push hard on the brake pedal and push the throttle pedal down halfway or further, the ECU would cut back the throttle to low rpm. When I try that experiment, the rpm remains high - it doesn't slow down. Is that what it's supposed to do? Can someone with an RX with BOS (e.g., a 2011 or later) tell me what happens when BOS is activated?

Have any Canadian 2010 RX 350 owners had the BOS retrofit applied? Did you get a letter from Lexus Canada prompting you to do so?
Old 04-16-14, 07:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Enter your VIN to check for yourself, URL below. I doubt they would hide it from you if you were affected since if something were to happen and they turned you down....

https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/secure/owners/campaigns
Old 04-21-14, 01:08 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Enter your VIN to check for yourself, URL below. I doubt they would hide it from you if you were affected since if something were to happen and they turned you down....

https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/secure/owners/campaigns
Thanks for your response. I followed your suggestion, and as I expected, it turned up nothing.

My concern is that I'm skeptical about Lexus Canada's assumption that my 2010 RX 350 was delivered with the Brake Override System, so their database would come back with a "not needed" response.

I would like to perform a simple test to either confirm or refute Lexus Canada's assumption. For example, I'd like to know that with a BOS, what should happen if I push both the brake pedal and accelerator pedal simultaneously - should the engine rpms stay high, or drop? Or is there some other way to tell?
Old 04-21-14, 05:25 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ours is Japan built in Dec/09. VIN search shows up blank for the recall/retrofit.
On-board computer may tell you what the car is equipped with.
Old 04-21-14, 06:02 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Ours is Japan built in Dec/09. VIN search shows up blank for the recall/retrofit.
I'm not surprised at your VIN search result - it just confirms that Lexus Canada's database *thinks* your car doesn't need the update.

On-board computer may tell you what the car is equipped with.
I would guess that the BOS functionality would be in a particular version level or revision level of the Electronic Throttle Control System (ETCS) or Engine Control Unit (ECU) software/firmware. Without knowing what version/revision level to look for, the on-board computer's information may not be enough to determine what we're looking for.
Old 04-22-14, 10:19 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is this related to the troubles Toyota was having with unexpected acceleration a few years ago ?
Old 04-22-14, 11:01 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Is this related to the troubles Toyota was having with unexpected acceleration a few years ago ?
Yes, you are correct.

See http://www.toyotaelsettlement.ca/faq.html#q7
Old 05-12-14, 07:00 AM
Maertens
Rookie

So, did anyone get BOS for their 2010 RX?
Old 05-12-14, 07:31 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Honestly, this is not something I would worry about:
Originally Posted by Toyota
Toyota denies that it has violated any law or engaged in any wrongdoing, and denies that there is any defect in its ETCS. The parties agreed to resolve these matters before these issues were decided by the Court.
It is just a frivolous lawsuit to feed the lawyers. For obvious reasons, Toyota settled rather than going through the court system. I got $125 for my '03 IS300 because there's no override to be installed. That is something I would not put on my IS anyway.
Old 05-12-14, 09:00 AM
Maertens
Rookie

Why not to install it? BOS seems to be a standard feature since MY2011
Old 07-03-14, 06:52 PM
Maertens
Rookie

Okay I had BOS installed on my 2010 yesterday.
I just called the dealership and asked about BOS retrofit and they said yes.

FYI
Old 07-03-14, 10:41 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default BOS Retrofit

I'm the originator of this thread (see above.) Please excuse my negligence in not providing an update.

I first posted in mid-April, describing my experience in trying to get my local Lexus service facility to install the Brake Override System update to my 2010 RX 350, and their inability to do so (or pursue it with Lexus Canada.)

I subsequently put >9800 km on my RX in less than three weeks, so the car's automated reminder came up on the display screen advising that a routine maintenance service was due, again. When I called for an appointment, the service advisor told me that my car would also have an ECU software update applied. I asked if this was the TCS/BOS update, and he confirmed that it was. I said that when I was in their shop just a few weeks earlier, they denied all knowledge of the update being applicable to my car. The response was that they received notification from Lexus Canada on May 30 about the update. So sad that we owners know about these things before "head office" or the dealer does.

Anyway, the BOS retrofit was applied to my car when I brought it in on June 10.
Old 07-04-14, 04:50 AM
Maertens
Rookie

BTW. Is there is a safe way to test this feature? E.g. pushing gas and brakes at the same time? I tried to accelerate (not too crazy) while fully engaging the brake pedal (so the car was not moving), it did not trigger, just as expected increased the RPMs and the engine noise.
Old 07-04-14, 07:28 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default How to "Test" the Brake Override System

Originally Posted by Maertens
BTW. Is there is a safe way to test this feature? E.g. pushing gas and brakes at the same time? I tried to accelerate (not too crazy) while fully engaging the brake pedal (so the car was not moving), it did not trigger, just as expected increased the RPMs and the engine noise.
I, too, would like to know how to test this out. Back in April, before the BOS was installed in June, I tried the same experiment as you describe, with the same result. However, it may be that the car has to be actually moving when both brake and accelerator are depressed, in order for the expected action (engine RPM dropping instead of increasing) can be observed. I haven't tried that version of the test, yet. Care to try it? (I would, but I'm driving my wife's car for the next few days.)
Old 07-04-14, 10:01 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Safe Brake Override

Keep your hand on the shift lever and slide it into neutral if it continues to accelerate, just what the California State trooper who caused all this controversy should have been trained to do!

Quick Reply: Retrofit "Brake Override System" to Canadian-market 2010s