RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2011 vs. 2013 which to buy

Old 07-06-14, 10:35 PM
happycampe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 vs. 2013 which to buy

Both of these vehicles are not CPO vehicles and are private owners.

Matador Red/Beige
Comfort package
Premium Package
Navigation Package
Mileage 14K
Extended warranty transferrable to buyer
Asking $34K
Condition excellent

Grey Pearl/Brown Maple
Comort Package
Mileage 9K
Factory warranty
Asking $36K
Condition excellent but this vehicle needs a new rear bumper. The owner did not change it because he wanted the prospective buyer to see that it is minor damage from backing into someting and not anything worse.

It's for my wife and she likes the red color combo better but says it really doesn't matter. I'm hoping to be able to get either vehicle for about $31K....not sure if I can. The 2013 is going to cost me $1K+ since I can't run it through insurance.

I like the regular gas spec for the post-2011 models but driving on average 10K - 12K miles a year not sure the premium gas for the 2011 is that big of a deal. But no matter what 2 years newer is still 2 years newer so I'm leaning towards the 2013 if I can get iit for my price. The color combo is not my favorite and I know many don't believe in buying a car that you don't like the color when you have to look at it every day.

Last edited by happycampe; 07-09-14 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-07-14, 07:19 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

FWIW, we have a 2011, same description, and we run regular gas, no problem. We love the color. Ray A.
Old 07-07-14, 07:27 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

premium package with extended warranty, go with the 2011 since it has has the color you want.
Old 07-07-14, 08:00 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

2013 is when the mid-cycle refresh was done. It is 1/2 generation newer.
It will depreciate at a slower pace compared to 2011.
Don't worry too much about lacking Nav in 2013, it sucks anyway. And, as a bonus, you get a dedicated AC button. Those are rare these days at Lexus.

I would go with whichever one has HID headlights, though.
Old 07-07-14, 08:25 AM
BornDriver
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will go with 2013 just for that spindle face and LED lights.
Old 07-07-14, 10:09 AM
happycampe
Driver School Candidate

Aren't HID head lights part of a different package that neither of these vehicles have? If it's just a stand alone option then I don't believe either has it.

After discussing it further with my wife the color does matter so it's looking more like the red one.
Old 07-07-14, 12:07 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by happycampe
Aren't HID head lights part of a different package that neither of these vehicles have? If it's just a stand alone option then I don't believe either has it.

After discussing it further with my wife the color does matter so it's looking more like the red one.
You are correct, HID option is a mess. For some reason, Lexus decided to put halogens into RXs, particularly late years. Even Corollas have HIDs nowadays.
Based on the climate you live in and how you use climate control, an AC button could be a great feature to have.
Old 07-07-14, 12:28 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ROFL at vlad's navigation 'hate'....
Old 07-08-14, 06:24 AM
acitydwelr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
premium package with extended warranty, go with the 2011 since it has has the color you want.
agreed. Color is a big factor and you have a chance to choose the one you want....
Old 07-09-14, 04:24 PM
happycampe
Driver School Candidate

Saw the 2013 and although it was a nice car, actually the color combination looked a lot better than I thought, but it did have some minor dings I would not expect. The car is parked in a garage structure and there are some chips on the tailgate from what would appear to be when it hits the roof of the concrete garage when the tailgate opens. And these are not minor chips, it's goes down to the metal like it keeps doing it over and over...not sure why you would not be more careful with a car like this. Also a pretty good sized ding on the driver side back door from another car door.

Then there is the bumper issue with a football sized depression. Why would you sell a car and not want it to look its best? I'm guessing the damage was done by another vehicle and perhaps the owner pocketed some cash rather than having it fixed through insurance. If you really wanted to show prospective buyers that the damage was minor you could always take pictures and then fix the car.

I offered $30-$31K and was willing to go up to $33K but the owner made a sort of snide comment that why would he do that if he can get $34K from the dealer today without the hassle of selling to a private owner. Somehow I don't believe the Lexus dealer would pay $34K for that car with the damage and given the 2015s are out this car is now 2 model years old. The only reason it'd be less of a hassle for him is because the dealer would payoff his loan for him. I'd give him a cashier's check so he wouldn't have to worry about me coming up with financing...can't get any more hassle free than that.

We'll wait to see the 2011. Anyone have concerns over the Parchment interior? I found a thread here about the Parchment interior and how easily blue dye from jeans seems to get transferred to the seats. I imagine that would be an issue with any light colored interior.

Ideally, red, white, or grey, w/ black interior would be our first choices color wise. It's hard to be patient in the used car market because you really don't know when the color you want is going to come on the market. I'm now starting to think maybe I should just go new if I can get a 2015 w/ comfort package for around $45K OTD. Our state tax is 4.7% so that's about $1800 that I wouldn't have to pay if I buy a used one.

Last edited by happycampe; 07-09-14 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-09-14, 07:27 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

If you plan on keeping the car 7+ years, bite the bullet and buy new on the color/package you want since you will pamper it from day 1.

If you want to save the 10-15K and buy used, walk away from the '13. If he showed neglect on the outside where it's visible, it's hard to trust how well driven the car was. The '11 sounds like it's in great shape with the color liked and more options that will help better resell it in the future.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-14, 06:20 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Walk away from the '13. Obviously, not a good sample.
I don't understand the extra $1,800 tax for a new vehicle. Does your state not charge sales tax on used vehicles as well? Ours sure does! There's nothing like taxing the same item multiple times as it changes hands.
Old 07-10-14, 09:48 AM
happycampe
Driver School Candidate

No sales tax on private party sales, only if you buy (new or used) from a dealer. Do other states charge sales tax on private owner sales?

Last edited by happycampe; 07-10-14 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-10-14, 10:30 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No sales tax on private party sales, only if you buy (new or used) from a dealer. Do other states charge sales tax on private owner sales?
Yes, California does. When the new owner goes to DMV to register the vehicle the tax will be collected. If a family member GIVES you the car then nothing is due. Makes for some interesting families.
Old 07-10-14, 03:59 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

They absolutely do. Anything to get the revenue in. And not a puny 4.7%.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 vs. 2013 which to buy