RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Key Fob eating batteries

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 11:47 AM
RX350PA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Fob eating batteries

Hey,
I've been lurking here for a few months but haven not posted much. We bought a 2010 CPO in April and have been happy with it so far. The only issue is that one of the two key fobs is eating batteries. The fob goes through a battery every 7 - 10 days. The other fob is doing fine.

At first we thought maybe a button was getting pushed inside my wife's purse so we switched fobs. i don't usually get to drive the 350 so my fob was rarely near the car. The fob would still go dead in a week or two.

Contacted the dealer and took the car up. Naturally they wanted to check the connections in the fob and try a new battery. ( as if I can't replace a battery?) My wife ended up with the bad fob again and the battery went dead in about a week. Originally the dealer said if the battery died again, they would order a new fob. Now, they want us to leave the car for a week. I'm not sure why. (It's not like I have nothing better to do than invent fob issues.)

It should be interesting since it took a bit longer than a week when I used the fob since I was not in the car that often. Even with a loaner vehicle, I'm not fond of multiple trips to the dealer. It this was Both fobs, I'd be inclined to believe it might be vehicle related but only one fob seems more likely that it's just the fob.

Sorry for the rant. I prefer to do all of my own work on vehicles and this is will be the first time working with the dealer.
Old 06-25-14, 11:50 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dealer replaced one of mine under warranty last Winter. Fob was consuming batteries at about the same rate as yours. At the end it would turn the panic alarm on at wee hours of the morning or simply not function once Jane got to the mall.
Old 06-25-14, 12:00 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

If the fob sits next to phones and such, it can affect battery life.
Old 06-25-14, 12:07 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the bad fob has a short. Ask for a replacement fob.

Leave the car for a week? Only if you get a loaner.
Old 06-25-14, 12:28 PM
RX350PA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
I think the bad fob has a short. Ask for a replacement fob.

Leave the car for a week? Only if you get a loaner.
We will get a loaner but it seems like a waste of time.

trip to get the loaner
trip to get the car back
trip to get the newly orders fob

makes more sense to me to get a fob ordered. one trip and done. Why waste the time and gas for 2 extra 70 mile round trips.
Old 06-25-14, 12:57 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX350PA
We will get a loaner but it seems like a waste of time.

trip to get the loaner
trip to get the car back
trip to get the newly orders fob

makes more sense to me to get a fob ordered. one trip and done. Why waste the time and gas for 2 extra 70 mile round trips.
I agree. Did not realize the dealer is so far.
Old 06-25-14, 01:55 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

Same thing happened with one of the smart fob on my old Camry, went through 5 batteries over a month or two. Dealer just replaced the fob under warranty and worked fine after that.
Old 12-05-14, 04:29 PM
jbusch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RX350PA
Hey,
I've been lurking here for a few months but haven not posted much. We bought a 2010 CPO in April and have been happy with it so far. The only issue is that one of the two key fobs is eating batteries. The fob goes through a battery every 7 - 10 days. The other fob is doing fine.

At first we thought maybe a button was getting pushed inside my wife's purse so we switched fobs. i don't usually get to drive the 350 so my fob was rarely near the car. The fob would still go dead in a week or two.

Contacted the dealer and took the car up. Naturally they wanted to check the connections in the fob and try a new battery. ( as if I can't replace a battery?) My wife ended up with the bad fob again and the battery went dead in about a week. Originally the dealer said if the battery died again, they would order a new fob. Now, they want us to leave the car for a week. I'm not sure why. (It's not like I have nothing better to do than invent fob issues.)

It should be interesting since it took a bit longer than a week when I used the fob since I was not in the car that often. Even with a loaner vehicle, I'm not fond of multiple trips to the dealer. It this was Both fobs, I'd be inclined to believe it might be vehicle related but only one fob seems more likely that it's just the fob.

Sorry for the rant. I prefer to do all of my own work on vehicles and this is will be the first time working with the dealer.
The FOB for my 2014 RX has been through 3 sets of battery's. Most only last 15 weeks before the FOB fails to open or start the car. . The dealer has not idea what is wrong with FOB for this RX. So the third time I requested they reprogram both FOBs. Now 5 weeks into my 4th new battery and reprogrammed FOBs.. The last time they replaced the old battery and it read the same voltage as the day it was install 15 weeks earlier. If this doesn't correct the problem I might have to file a Lemon Law case to get someone's attention at Lexus.