RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How Many Keys Did You Get?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-14, 08:08 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
corrado, you pay a bit more than we do for our RXs here in the states so getting a credit card key is the least they can do. Interesting you received a Starbucks card too. What's the matter, dealer coffee not good? LOL!
Originally Posted by markrivers
I'm surprised to see that Canadian RX has a different smart key.
This is what we have in the US.
Both my 2011 and 2013 have this kind of smart key

The pic I posted was from a fellow 3IS CL member I found to demonstrate what I similarly own. The wallet key is the same, but the fob is for the '14 IS. My RX fob is the same as the US.
Old 06-26-14, 09:45 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

@ corradoMR2 , ok thanks for the clarification.

Anyway, im crossing the border again, visiting family in Vancouver.
The RX 350 is such a great highway cruiser and i love the fuel economy compared to our other cars.
Driving 8-10 hours, 600-800 miles/ day is a walk in the park.

And staying om topic, i got 2 keys LOL!
Old 06-27-14, 08:03 AM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kind of late to the thread, but I got 2 keys when I bought in January 2014. I like that credit card key. I wonder if its only available in Canada. Does anyone in the USA have one?
Old 06-27-14, 08:24 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The smart access card is available in the US. Kinda pricey between the card, key and programming. It would be about $300 with the Sewell discount. And it can't be used with remote start.
Old 06-27-14, 09:10 AM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassicSC3
...Should I make a spare eventhough I have 2 keys to start and this valet?!...
This is our first 'Push button to start' vehicle.
In the past, whenever I bought a new car I got two keys.
First thing I did was get a third key made and hide it on the car in a magnetic box.

The salesman told me it was impossible to lock the 'smart key' in this vehicle.
So, I figured what's the point of hiding a regular key if the smart key can't be locked inside.
If I lose my smart key somewhere the hidden regular key won't start the vehicle, only gain access.
I'm not going to hide a $350 smart key on the vehicle.

Only had this car a week.
Is it true that each smart key has it's own seat preset?
I'm a big man and my wife is small.
If I should use my wife's key and start the car, will the seat crumple me up like an aluminum can?
(I am seriously afraid to figure this out for myself)
Old 06-27-14, 01:52 PM
KeithPI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Raoul,

I just bought my 2015 Lexus Rx 350 on Wednesday (it had 2 keys). My 2007 ES 350 would pair the seat memory with different fobs, but I have not found that in the manual yet for the new RX. However, in another thread on this forum, user Ownerrx350 posted the following:
-------
You could link your preferred driver seat memory pre-set position to the key you normally carry. Page 105 in the manual has the following steps listed:

Record your driving position to button “1”, “2” or “3” before performing the following:
Carry only the key (including the card key) to which you want to link the driving position. If 2 or more keys are in the vehicle, the driving position cannot be linked properly.
Step 1: RX350: Shift the shift lever to P and close the driver's door. Turn the “ENGINE START STOP” switch to IGNITION ON mode. RX450h: Shift the shift lever to P and close the driver's door.

Step 2: Turn the “POWER” switch to ON mode.Press the desired button (“1”, “2” or“3”) to recall the position. Then,while keep pressing the button, press the driver's door lock switches (either lock or unlock) until the signal beeps.

The driving position is recalled when the driver's door is unlocked using the entry function or wireless remote control and the driver's door is opened.
-----------

I followed his instructions just a few minutes ago, and was able to successfully pair my fob to driver's memory #1. Note, I never put my foot on the break during the Start button pushes. It may work that way as well, but it wasn't in his instructions so I didn't do it.

Also, note that for the feature to work, the car has to be locked, then when you walk up and unlock it with a Fob that is linked to a seat Memory, it will then default to those settings. If you walk up to an unlocked vehicle and just start with the fob, it doesn't work (at least it didn't on my ES). Hope that helps.
Old 06-27-14, 02:18 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks Keith, the tech guy spent considerable time with us, synced my wife's phone and I remember he had both of us get the driver's seat to our liking.

At the time I didn't consider the ramifications should we accidentally switch keys.
Issues for her are not so much but, for me....

"Rescue personnel use jaws of life to free man who used the wrong key...film at 11."
Old 06-27-14, 08:00 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul
Thanks Keith, the tech guy spent considerable time with us, synced my wife's phone and I remember he had both of us get the driver's seat to our liking.

At the time I didn't consider the ramifications should we accidentally switch keys.
Issues for her are not so much but, for me....

"Rescue personnel use jaws of life to free man who used the wrong key...film at 11."
You can also get squeezed using your own key fob, and has happened to me a few times. Here's how. My wife and I each have our own fobs with our own personal drivers entry settings, including the syncing with the door locks. My wife very rarely drives, but keeps her fob in her purse all the time. Occasionally she gets to the passenger door and unlocks (all doors then unlock) before I get a chance to unlock the doors from the drivers side. Once I sit in the drivers seat and prepare to start, my seat goes to her settings with me in it, even though I have my key fob on me. We're both slender, but her settings still push me very tight. Doesn't happen every time in this type of situation, but does make me want me to get to the doors to unlock first just in case.
Old 06-27-14, 08:13 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
...but does make me want me to get to the doors to unlock first just in case.
My wife has her seat set very high and I will hit my head getting into the car.
Old 06-28-14, 10:02 AM
rx300mm
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rx300mm
When I bought used RX350 2010 last year from Lexus on the Park, I got 2 FOBs and one credit card key.
Picture of my 3rd key, with mechanical key slotted in for emergency. Same size as credit card but double the thickness. This key does not have remote trunk opener.

How Many Keys Did You Get?-key1.jpg

How Many Keys Did You Get?-key2.jpg
Old 06-28-14, 10:19 AM
t2014rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
The smart access card is available in the US. Kinda pricey between the card, key and programming. It would be about $300 with the Sewell discount. And it can't be used with remote start.
Thanks for the info, good to know. A little to spendy for me. I'll save $300 and use that towards a detail in the future.
Old 06-29-14, 06:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ It's pricey, but ohhh so convenient. Just grab my wallet and I'm off! But yeah, to spend ~$500+ (all-in), I wouldn't do it, or by now I'd have bought it on my IS.