RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Door auto-unlock on Park?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-14, 01:47 PM
greyRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Door auto-unlock on Park?

We have a new-to-us 2010 LCPO RX350 Touring w/Sport trim.
It came in pristine condition -- the previous owner never even set up the Nav!

Just now learning all the in's and out's of the car along with the Personalized Settings feature.

One option I cannot seem to find is: having the car unlock its door(s) just after the engine is shut down and the gear selector is placed back into Park.

Is this feature available to be reprogrammed?
Old 06-21-14, 01:55 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus, greyRX.

You will want to familiarize yourself with the LPS settings for your vehicle. If you made your purchase through a Lexus dealer talk to your salesperson about getting you a free appointment to have any changes made to your vehicle as needed or desired. This is normally a one-time free item for new purchasers with additional changes a potential charge item depending on the dealership. Also, check to see what version of the NAV software you have. The Lexus dealer should be willing to update this for free for you as well if you push.

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX350_LPS.pdf

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/

You can also search the forum here at CL regarding these features to see which ones you want to turn on, off or leave alone. Plenty of existing information here for you to read.
Old 06-21-14, 02:41 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum. If you have an Android phone or tablet, you can use our app to change this setting (and many others) by yourself, without going to a dealer and paying lots of money. The app is called Carista - check out the link in my signature. You'll also need a Bluetooth dongle, but those are cheap (again, info on our website).
Old 06-21-14, 03:20 PM
greyRX
Driver

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Welcome to Club Lexus, greyRX.

You will want to familiarize yourself with the LPS settings for your vehicle. If you made your purchase through a Lexus dealer talk to your salesperson about getting you a free appointment to have any changes made to your vehicle as needed or desired. This is normally a one-time free item for new purchasers with additional changes a potential charge item depending on the dealership. Also, check to see what version of the NAV software you have. The Lexus dealer should be willing to update this for free for you as well if you push.

http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX350_LPS.pdf

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what-to-order/

You can also search the forum here at CL regarding these features to see which ones you want to turn on, off or leave alone. Plenty of existing information here for you to read.
Thanks for the Welcome!

Yep, I've gone through that routine already. The closest parameter is #3 :

"Auto Unlock by Shift to P" -- When the engine is running and the vehicle is placed into park: a) all the doors will remain locked = off b) all the doors will automatically unlock [standard] = on

I want the unlock to occur automatically when the engine is OFF and in PARK.

Don't see any reference in the Dealer activated section that refers to what I want
Old 06-21-14, 03:22 PM
greyRX
Driver

Originally Posted by Carista
Welcome to the forum. If you have an Android phone or tablet, you can use our app to change this setting (and many others) by yourself, without going to a dealer and paying lots of money. The app is called Carista - check out the link in my signature. You'll also need a Bluetooth dongle, but those are cheap (again, info on our website).
Thanks for the Welcome!

FYI, my dealer offered changes to Personalized Settings free of charge for as long as I want. But I don't see what we need to be changed offered as an option. Hence, my query to this forum -- perhaps a member knows of a way to do what I ask?

I have an OBD2 reader that operates through my laptop software. Used it successfully on our Camry. Yep, it did save many dollars in shop repair diagnostics.
I do plan on using it again on this Lexus, should the need arise outside of the Warranty period. That device and dedicated software is proprietary, and clean of malware.

Carista : So far as your offering goes, I'm always wary of apps that may screw with something as valuable as a car, especially through an OBD2 port.
Last thing I need is an expensive repair bill that's not covered by my warranty.

Last edited by greyRX; 06-21-14 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-21-14, 04:37 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by greyRX
Thanks for the Welcome!

FYI, my dealer offered changes to Personalized Settings free of charge for as long as I want. But I don't see what we need to be changed offered as an option. Hence, my query to this forum -- perhaps a member knows of a way to do what I ask?

I have an OBD2 reader that operates through my laptop software. Used it successfully on our Camry. Yep, it did save many dollars in shop repair diagnostics.
I do plan on using it again on this Lexus, should the need arise outside of the Warranty period. That device and dedicated software is proprietary, and clean of malware.

Carista : So far as your offering goes, I'm always wary of apps that may screw with something as valuable as a car, especially through an OBD2 port.
Last thing I need is an expensive repair bill that's not covered by my warranty.
Ok, so you want the doors to unlock only after you shut off the engine, not just when you put it in park - is that right? I don't think there is such a setting on the RX. If I remember correctly, there's a setting to make all doors unlock if the driver's door is opened (if they were all previously locked via the auto-lock option). But nothing about the ignition. Just out of curiosity, why do you want this? In most cases, putting the car in Park is followed by shutting off the ignition anyway, so it's kind of the same thing. I guess the only case when that doesn't happen is if you're waiting for someone with the engine idling, but the transmission in Park... but in that case, wouldn't you want the doors to be unlocked, so that that someone can get in when they arrive? Well, everyone has their own reasons, but I'm just curious if this is a common use case.

I understand your reluctance to use software that's not made by Toyota/Lexus. But what I can say is that we have tens of thousands of users and so far we haven't screwed up anyone's car. In the case of Lexus, we use the same communication protocol that the dealers' factory tools use. But in any case, if your dealer is offering to change the settings for free, then yeah, by all means, do that. By the way, Carista is not free - it costs $19.99 for the Pro Package (one-time in-app purchase), which gives you the ability to change settings and do Lexus-specific diagnostics of all computers in the car.

Also, what software were you using on your computer? Was it Techstream? (which is the one made by Toyota) If so, you can change your LPS with that as well. Of course, it's less convenient than an app since you have to lug the laptop around and connect cables... but that's a personal choice.
Old 06-21-14, 06:49 PM
greyRX
Driver

Ok, so you want the doors to unlock only after you shut off the engine, not just when you put it in park - is that right? I don't think there is such a setting on the RX. If I remember correctly, there's a setting to make all doors unlock if the driver's door is opened (if they were all previously locked via the auto-lock option). But nothing about the ignition. Just out of curiosity, why do you want this? In most cases, putting the car in Park is followed by shutting off the ignition anyway, so it's kind of the same thing. I guess the only case when that doesn't happen is if you're waiting for someone with the engine idling, but the transmission in Park... but in that case, wouldn't you want the doors to be unlocked, so that that someone can get in when they arrive? Well, everyone has their own reasons, but I'm just curious if this is a common use case.

I understand your reluctance to use software that's not made by Toyota/Lexus. But what I can say is that we have tens of thousands of users and so far we haven't screwed up anyone's car. In the case of Lexus, we use the same communication protocol that the dealers' factory tools use. But in any case, if your dealer is offering to change the settings for free, then yeah, by all means, do that. By the way, Carista is not free - it costs $19.99 for the Pro Package (one-time in-app purchase), which gives you the ability to change settings and do Lexus-specific diagnostics of all computers in the car.

Also, what software were you using on your computer? Was it Techstream? (which is the one made by Toyota) If so, you can change your LPS with that as well. Of course, it's less convenient than an app since you have to lug the laptop around and connect cables... but that's a personal choice.
Let me rephrase please : I just want the convenience of not having to physically unlock my (or other) doors after I've put the shift lever in 'P' and then turned the engine off -- like normal.
I have a Camry with an aftermarket security system and it's nice to have the doors auto-unlock after I shut everything down.

Your device intrigued me because of the promise of allowing me more autonomy in the service of our car. But maybe my auto-unlock option is not even possible.

The OBD2 unit I've been using is a kit from Auto Enginuity.

http://www.autoenginuity.com/products/scan-tool.html

I've yet to investigate whether AE can change LPS.
Old 06-22-14, 02:44 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

I see. So then the "Auto Unlock by Shift to P" in the LPS is what you want - it'll unlock when you shift to P and you'll be all set - the doors will remain unlocked when you do turn off the ignition. In Carista it's called "Unlock doors when shifting into park (P)".
Old 06-22-14, 07:38 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

We have a new-to-us 2010 LCPO RX350 Touring w/Sport trim.
It came in pristine condition -- the previous owner never even set up the Nav!
Just now learning all the in's and out's of the car along with the Personalized Settings feature.

One option I cannot seem to find is: having the car unlock its door(s) just after the engine is shut down and the gear selector is placed back into Park.

Is this feature available to be reprogrammed?
Carista, I don't think you read the OP's original post accurately. He wants to have the doors unlock when the engine is shut off. This is normal operation. Any dealer should be able to enable this setting for free. Also, you say to refer to the link in your signature, but it's not there.
Ray A.
Old 06-22-14, 07:53 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by raylor4
Carista, I don't think you read the OP's original post accurately. He wants to have the doors unlock when the engine is shut off. This is normal operation. Any dealer should be able to enable this setting for free. Also, you say to refer to the link in your signature, but it's not there.
Ray A.
Yeah, I understand that, but I think there's no such setting on these cars, based on the data I've gotten from our 2 test vehicles (both are 2010 RX450h), as well as a few customers' RXs. Some Lexus models do have a setting where you can specify whether the auto-unlock happens on switching to "P" or on shutting off the ignition, but I think the RX doesn't support that. I might be wrong though - every car is different, depending on the factory options and the market. One good thing is that once it connects to the car via the Bluetooth dongle, Carista shows you exactly what options are available on that particular car and what their current values are for free, before you buy the Pro Package. Don't know if that's relevant to the OP though, since his dealer has offered to change the settings for free. But if anyone else wants to try it, all you need is an ELM327 Bluetooth dongle (about $10 on Amazon) and an Android phone or tablet.

Here's a link to the app in Google Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ce%3Dclublexus
And here's our web site (see the "Hardware" section for links to the Bluetooth dongle): http://www.caristaapp.com/
Old 06-22-14, 08:59 AM
greyRX
Driver

Originally Posted by raylor4
Ray A.
It's an uphill battle to argue with someone who is intent on selling something, huh

Yes, when the engine is off and in Park -- like a normal situation for everyday drivers.

Anyway, what I want does not appear on the LPS list. Yes, perhaps the dealer's tech will have others that are not evident to the owners.

For those Dealer Only options, does anyone here know how the service technician accesses the LPS ..through the NAV or OBD2 port?
Old 06-22-14, 09:12 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

It's an uphill battle to argue with someone who is intent on selling something, huh

Yes, when the engine is off and in Park -- like a normal situation for everyday drivers.

Anyway, what I want does not appear on the LPS list. Yes, perhaps the dealer's tech will have others that are not evident to the owners.

For those Dealer Only options, does anyone here know how the service technician accesses the LPS ..through the NAV or OBD2 port?
Through Techstream software using OBD2, but you can access those same LPS through Carista app.
Old 06-22-14, 09:13 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

greyRX, I've tried to help you by telling you what I know about what settings are available on the RX and what settings are not. Yes, I've mentioned my commercial product in those posts, but the information I gave you is still valid, regardless of whether you use my product or not. I also tried to understand what you're trying to accomplish and gave you my opinion on what your best option is (which has nothing to do with my product - it's just the setting that the car supports, as shown in the LPS document).

And here, I'll answer your other question as well: the dealer does it through the OBD port using software running on a computer.

But if you see this as a battle, fine, I won't post here anymore.
Old 06-22-14, 11:34 AM
greyRX
Driver

greyRX, I've tried to help you by telling you what I know about what settings are available on the RX and what settings are not. Yes, I've mentioned my commercial product in those posts, but the information I gave you is still valid, regardless of whether you use my product or not. I also tried to understand what you're trying to accomplish and gave you my opinion on what your best option is (which has nothing to do with my product - it's just the setting that the car supports, as shown in the LPS document).

And here, I'll answer your other question as well: the dealer does it through the OBD port using software running on a computer.

But if you see this as a battle, fine, I won't post here anymore.

Nah ..I don't see it as anywhere near a battle

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on my little problem none the less. I may just check out your product when I feel the need for it. Sounds like it (and others) has more to offer than my standalone rig has. However, there is still that nagging feeling of vulnerability : http://www.americanbar.org/publicati...2_balough.html -- take away from the article what you wish.

In the meantime, I will take it to the dealer when next in the area and see what their tech has to offer.
Old 06-22-14, 01:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I Thought there were only two options:

Immediately when you put the car in park, then doors will unlock. This happens whether or not the engine is off or on. At the same time, they lock when you shift out of park.

OR

The doors unlock when the driver's door is opened.

Quick Reply: Door auto-unlock on Park?