RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Windshield Chip on a CPO

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-14, 07:19 AM
Emreh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Chip on a CPO

Hello everyone,

Yesterday afternoon I was scheduled to take the ownership of a 2012 CPO RX350 but ended up delaying it a few days because there were 2 issues that bugged us on the car. I was told that they will be fixed in the next few days but I need to ask your opinion/advice on how I should tackle these:

1. Scratches in the door handle and spiderwebs on bumper: Should I expect a scratch free car when buying a CPO or am I being too picky? There is a noticeable scratch in the passenger side door handle probably due to a a lady diamond ring (dealer said it cannot be fixed, as rotary tool doesn't go in there) and few scratches that are not too deep in the bumper and on the door - the type of scratches that would go away after buffing. The reason I am caught up with these the dealer said they applied paint protection; I would have expected the scratches be fixed before applying this solution.

2. Chip on the windshield: this is more of a concern than #1. when I test drove the car there was no chip on the windshield and it appears something sharp was dropped at the dealer. Its size is less then a penny. The dealer indicated that they can get it fixed (with resin) but I am wondering if I should insist for a replacement?

Many thanks in advance. I'll make sure to post the pics once the car is in my possession

Last edited by Emreh; 06-21-14 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-21-14, 10:42 AM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like the dealer is trying to work with you. In these cases, it's like any car you might or might not accept, it's not Lexus specific. It's been driven so might have a few blems. CPO doesn't necessarily mean it won't have any of those, but that it's more like buying a new car mechanically that if necessary you can take to any Lexus dealer for warranty repair. It's your decision on the scratches, if they're not horrible then it means it's been driven and used. As far as the W/S chip, if they can fill it (common practice) then that's always better than a replacement. Sometimes the glass has to be replaced but sometimes they can fill it w/epoxy and if you didn't know it was there originally you'd never be able to find it. Go that route if you can and keep the original w/s.
Originally Posted by Emreh
Hello everyone,

Yesterday afternoon I was scheduled to take the ownership of a 2012 CPO RX350 but ended up delaying it a few days because there were 2 issues that bugged us on the car. I was told that they will be fixed in the next few days but I need to ask your opinion/advice on how I should tackle these:

1. Scratches in the door handle and spiderwebs on bumper: Should I expect a scratch free car when buying a CPO or am I being too picky? There is a noticeable scratch in the passenger side door handle probably due to a a lady diamond ring (dealer said it cannot be fixed, as rotary tool doesn't go in there) and few scratches that are not too deep in the bumper and on the door - the type of scratches that would go away after buffing. The reason I am caught up with these the dealer said they applied paint protection; I would have expected the scratches be fixed before applying this solution.

2. Chip on the windshield: this is more of a concern than #1. when I test drove the car there was no chip on the windshield and it appears something sharp was dropped at the dealer. Its size is less then a penny. The dealer indicated that they can get it fixed (with resin) but I am wondering if I should insist for a replacement?

Many thanks in advance. I'll make sure to post the pics once the car is in my possession
Old 06-22-14, 04:07 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

work with the dealer regarding the cosmetics. CPO checklists that i've seen only consider the mechanical items and scheduled service to be kept up to date. Our 2010 was purchased CPO by a 3rd party, but we were able to work with the manager to respray our bumpers and fix a few dings prior to taking delivery.
Used cars with chips in the windshield must be repaired/replaced if they exceed the individual state's insurance requirements...ie size of a 1/2 dollar coin or length of a dollar in some states. If it doesn't exceed, then its up to the individual dealer's discretion. Usually they will comply if it will take a vehicle off their lot.
Old 06-22-14, 06:22 PM
jnovak01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truth be told the dealer wants the car off the lot and for the smallest amount of work on their part.
I would not pick the car up unless the windshield was repaired.
The scratches: I would fix them myself as the dealer really doesn't want to fix this and you could probably do a better job yourself or take it to your local bodyshop. I would use this as leverage on getting a deal on floormats, mudguards, bodymoldings, take your pick.