RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Jd power initial quality 2014 - yes it's that time of year again

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-14, 06:11 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jd power initial quality 2014 - yes it's that time of year again

http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...lity-study-iqs

Seems like the Canadian RX plant outdid the Japanese ones winning platinum

Go team!
Old 06-20-14, 07:39 AM
TickerMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an important matter in my decision to select a Lexus. After years of owning North American cars I switched to Honda and Toyota. I immediately noticed an immediate improvement in vehicle quality. In my opinion there is nothing that kills a new vehicle purchase experience more that having to return it for multiple QC fixes. In my vehicle research on other premium vehicle makes such as BMW and Audi their owner forums often lamented problems with vehicle quality, comments that have been validated with long term test reports on those brands. I think that the Lexus brands overall commitment to quality is one of the things that ranks very high in my decision making process. Something that I am willing to pay for.
Old 06-20-14, 08:09 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CanadianRX

Go team!
Don't tell all the people that have INSISTED on a Japanese built RX because the fit and
finish is SO much better...lol. The Japanese have succeeded in brainwashing if nothing
else....now where were my Michelins built???? lol
Old 06-20-14, 08:14 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used JDPower's survey on insurances (house and car).
Old 06-20-14, 12:56 PM
RSXiMUS
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Go team!
The key word here is "initial" quality. I don't understand why they even have an initial quality test, anybody can produce a car that will hold together for the first few months.

It's the long term that counts.

I know first hand, from REAL WORLD ownership experience that our Canadian built RX350 doesn't feel as solid as my co-workers Japanese built RX350, to add insult to injury ours is a year newer with almost half the mileage..

I drove his RX350 one day when we went out for lunch and it felt better overall, suspension, steering, body felt tighter. Engine and transmission felt more responsive. I was shocked when I looked at his odo and it had 75K miles, it drives like it had only 10k miles. I was a little envious....
Old 06-20-14, 02:55 PM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

I think this comes down to perception more than anything. My brother and I had the same car same year made a few weeks apart. We always thought the other ones rode better, felt stronger etc. It's just the slight differences in someone else's car that make it seem different and better. More than likely the other guy would think the same of your car.

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS
The key word here is "initial" quality. I don't understand why they even have an initial quality test, anybody can produce a car that will hold together for the first few months.

I know first hand, from REAL WORLD ownership experience that our Canadian built RX350 doesn't feel as solid as my co-workers Japanese built RX350, to add insult to injury ours is a year newer with almost half the mileage..

I drove his RX350 one day when we went out for lunch and it felt better overall, suspension, steering, body felt tighter. Engine and transmission felt more responsive. I was shocked when I looked at his odo and it had 75K miles, it drives like it had only 10k miles. I was a little envious....
Old 06-20-14, 09:10 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RSXiMUS

lololol I drove a Toyota Tercel made in Japan and it rode like a Rolls Royce;...........
Old 06-21-14, 04:36 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Late '70's my Dad had a '78 VW Rabbit, German built, like a Swiss watch.
So impressed I bought one in '81, however, built in the US.
No comparison in any respects. Worst car I've ever owned. Sold it after a year.
Old 06-21-14, 11:40 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Late '70's my Dad had a '78 VW Rabbit, German built, like a Swiss watch.
So impressed I bought one in '81, however, built in the US.
No comparison in any respects. Worst car I've ever owned. Sold it after a year.
Come on you're comparing a u.s. car to a Canadian car lol We have some of the best plants in the world
Old 06-21-14, 12:29 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Come on you're comparing a u.s. car to a Canadian car lol We have some of the best plants in the world
At the time, the comparison was "over here " vs. "over there". Yes, today we have excellent production facilities here in Canada. Late '70's through mid-'90's.........different story.
Old 06-21-14, 12:34 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate to burst the bubble here,
BUT it's not the country that matters, it's the company.

We all know the " impression" of things made in China, how they're cheaply built and inferior in quality.
The absence of quality control, cutting corners etc.

Now, flip that iphone or any idevice you own and check where they're manufactured.

AND our Bimmers are assembled in Mexico. ( im not comparing Lexus and BMW), but most owners of BMWs think or want to believe that " German Engineering" means assembled in Germany.

Last edited by markrivers; 06-21-14 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-21-14, 05:36 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

No bubble to burst here. GM, Chrysler & Ford all made a lot of really bad cars in that era.
Product is light years ahead today.
Had a Ford Fusion out on rent a couple months ago. Nice car.
Had a Chevy Cruze out on rent two weeks ago, didn't care for it.
Old 06-21-14, 11:32 PM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone seems to have some strong feelings on this subject and I will speak ONLY on what I know about:
In 2002, I bought a BMW 330i, the reason I bought a 330 over a 325 was based more on the fact that the 330's (then) were built in Germany and the 325's were built in South Africa. I still have the 330, 12 years later and it still runs perfectly, it has been awesomely reliable with the only the water pump going out on me when it was about 8 years old, otherwise I take it in once a year for an annual oil change and they do a bunch of preventive things to it and then I drive it for another year... If our 2014 Rx is as reliable as the BMW has been I will be very happy...!

At 55 years old, I have owned (1) GM vehicle, (1) Ford and (1) Chrysler and will NEVER buy another of any of them ever again. I know many imports are made in the US. I have had awesome luck with Toyota's and Honda's over the years as well.

Last edited by Dreamlab; 06-21-14 at 11:35 PM.