RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is there a difference driving on D vs 6 (S mode)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-14, 11:38 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Is there a difference driving on D vs 6 (S mode)

I know this may sound like a newbie question,
especially from someone with 20 yr driving history, both manual and automatic.

Here's the scenario.

When we use S mode and put the gear on 4, it doesn't START at 4, perhaps 2nd gear when you're coming from a stop light BUT it will hold your gear up to 4th, even if you rev up as hard as you can.
I use this a lot when going downhill, call it engine braking if you will.

Now, here's the question

Our 3rd generation RX 350 ( except F Sport) comes with 6 speed automatic transmission.
Driving normally on D, the computer will most likely choose the highest gear always to give us better fuel economy.
Now, putting it on S mode and choosing 6,
have you noticed any marked difference? Like higher rpm on a specific gear?
Old 06-15-14, 07:07 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

MarkRivers:
When we use S mode and put the gear on 4, it doesn't START at 4, perhaps 2nd gear when you're coming from a stop light BUT it will hold your gear up to 4th, even if you rev up as hard as you can.

This is normal.

When we first got our '11 RX, I asked the SA about very little engine braking when going from D to S and he said "Use a lower gear". This was good advice. When going downhill, I choose the same gear the car would use going up that hill.

Our 3rd generation RX 350 ( except F Sport) comes with 6 speed automatic transmission.
Driving normally on D, the computer will most likely choose the highest gear always to give us better fuel economy.

Yes.

Not sure if you are referring to downhill engine braking or normal upshifting.
My question is "...marked difference in what?" Difference in engine braking between 4 and 6, or upshifting between 4 & 6?

My answer is yes, and FWIW, I like to downshift too.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Old 06-15-14, 07:22 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by raylor4
MarkRivers:

This is normal.

When we first got our '11 RX, I asked the SA about very little engine braking when going from D to S and he said "Use a lower gear". This was good advice. When going downhill, I choose the same gear the car would use going up that hill.

Yes.

Not sure if you are referring to downhill engine braking or normal upshifting.
My question is "...marked difference in what?" Difference in engine braking between 4 and 6, or upshifting between 4 & 6?

My answer is yes, and FWIW, I like to downshift too.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.
Thanks Ray!
I understand my question is a little technical.
Im not asking about down shifting or upshifting.
Nor a comparison between 4 and 6

Simply put. driving on D vs 6 in any given condition whether highway or city. Any difference on response time? Rpm?

I don't feel any.
It's like driving on D and S on 6 are the same.
Other experienced drivers, feel free to chime in.

Last edited by markrivers; 06-15-14 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-15-14, 09:31 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

driving in S6 should be exactly like driving in D. However, it gives you the option of quickly jumping into 5th gear when you are in 6th gear, instead of going straight to 4th gear
Old 06-15-14, 01:17 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Cool Are S6 and D the same? Yes.

Thanks Ray!
I understand my question is a little technical.
Im not asking about down shifting or upshifting.
Nor a comparison between 4 and 6

Simply put. driving on D vs 6 in any given condition whether highway or city. Any difference on response time? Rpm?

I don't feel any.
It's like driving on D and S on 6 are the same.
Other experienced drivers, feel free to chime in.

Hi Mark,
I learned something today, thanks to your post.
Moving the shift lever from D to S moves the transmission to S4, (or S5 according to vehicle speed, per the owner's manual) then from there you can go to S5 or S6 with upshift. S6 and D should be the identical in shift points, as was previously stated by RXSF. I've not tried this and I don't think there would be any difference.

Now here comes the zinger...Page 161 of my owner's manual says "The initial shift range in S mode can be set to "3" if AI-SHIFT has operated while the shift lever was in D position. Further reading about AI-SHIFT on page 162 is not understandable to me, nor is there any info on how to change the initial shift range, even at the dealer, that I can find. Go figure.

Bottom line: S6 and D are the same.
Hope this makes your Father's Day complete. : )

Ray A.
Old 06-15-14, 10:17 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

^ Happy Father's day as well!
Game of Thrones tonight was the a Father's Day inspired LOL!

My hats to you for opening the manual.
Sometimes im lazy and i just post questions here

Going back, i use S mode a lot, especially if i know i'll be doing a lot of passing or going into a ramp.
Having the S on 4 or 5 when joining a freeway makes me feel more confident,
And it eliminates the " lag" that others are experiencing when on D.
That lag is more of a delay, from the time you floor the accelarator to the actual " jack rabbit" response that we expect.

With my other cars, especially the 2 electrics, i never have this " lag" that's why i prefer driving using the S mode.
Old 06-15-14, 11:18 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Default Throttle Lag

That lag is more of a delay, from the time you floor the accelarator to the actual " jack rabbit" response that we expect. Mark

Mark,
I know exactly what you mean. I'm glad you found a work-around for this lag from the accelerator pedal to the actual engine response. It reminds me of my digital camera that has to think about taking a picture after I've pressed the shutter release.
I think this lag you speak of started with the accelerator not being connected directly to the fuel/air supply with a cable, but rather a position sensor that sends a signal to the computer which thinks about what gear the trans is in, temperature, fuel octane, present rpms, lively music on the radio, etc. You get the idea.
I get better acceleration from my '11RX by pushing the accelerator half way down, that is to say less lag. Flooring the gas pedal, like you say, seems to create a lag when in D.
I like lots of acceleration on the merging ramp too. I'll try your S4 or S5 idea ASAP.
Ray A.

I think you will love paddle shifters on your next car.
Old 03-07-15, 02:38 PM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

putting it in the highest gear in S mode is the same as Drive.

if you want less lag anticipate your acceleration and downshift manually first then floor it. I think the tranny goes through all the gears or something rather than going straight from 6th to 3rd
Old 08-24-21, 12:35 PM
mike6a
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well! I experimentally drove my RX350 2015 for 70 miles on D-gear along LIE NY and back on 6 gear. Car easily accelerated on D and let me pass others faster, fuel economy dropped down on the display. On my way back on the gear 6 the fuel economy increased but acceleration dynamics got worse. I prefer drive on 6 instead on so called economy drive.
Old 08-25-21, 11:52 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mike6a
Well! I experimentally drove my RX350 2015 for 70 miles on D-gear along LIE NY and back on 6 gear. Car easily accelerated on D and let me pass others faster, fuel economy dropped down on the display. On my way back on the gear 6 the fuel economy increased but acceleration dynamics got worse. I prefer drive on 6 instead on so called economy drive.
Which way was the wind direction that day?