RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Purchased CPO RX350-but CPO warranty was never registered with Lexus by dealer

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-14, 08:10 AM
Jovigirl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased CPO RX350-but CPO warranty was never registered with Lexus by dealer

Hello Everyone... I'm new here, so please forgive any errors I may have.
I wasn't sure where I should post this question, so I posted it in the RX category since I don't see a warranty thread.

Short story is I purchase in April 2013 one of my Lexus dealer service/loaner 2012 RX350 as a CPO vehicle with 18K miles.
I was contacted last week by the General Manager of my dealer where I purchased the car and service it that they needed to speak with me in person. I met with them the next day and they told me that when I purchased the car there was an error on someone's part and that my car was never CPO'd with Lexus. They tried doing it after the fact, but too much time had passed and it cannot be CPO'd now with 45K miles. They offered me the Lexus (not 3rd party) extended warranty for up to 125K miles at no charge. This is a $2400 value. This has to be done before I reach 50K.
Or the other option they have offered is to take off another $2K off another car if I choose to purchase/go back to an ES350 like I had before since I don't love my RX like I did my ES.

All in all this seems like a big screw up on the dealerships end and I don't know if I'm entitled to more than the $2K or should I take it and run??

Thoughts? Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Shannon
Old 06-06-14, 08:15 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Take the extended warranty if you're going to keep the RX awhile . Better, longer and more miles coverage
Old 06-06-14, 08:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

First of all, welcome to CL. Second, sorry to hear about your troubles.

That is very disappointing to see a dealership make a mistake like that.

When it comes to cars, life is too short to drive something you don't love. Pursuing the warranty option is a good idea if you intend on keeping your RX long term. However, since you don't love it, I would suggest using this as bargaining power to get back into an ES or something else you will like more. And frankly, you ought to be able to get them to concede to more than $2k off. I got more than $2k off my new RX and they didn't even owe me anything. Perhaps they could throw in a free 3 year maintenance plan on an ES, or some other concession.

Good luck to you, Shannon!
Old 06-06-14, 08:25 AM
Jovigirl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Take the extended warranty if you're going to keep the RX awhile . Better, longer and more miles coverage
Thank you for the reply. I haven't sat and compared the 2 warranties side by side. Do you know in fact if the extended warranty in which they have offered me is a better warranty than the CPO one?

Thanks again!
Old 06-06-14, 08:28 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take the warranty. Simply, I think you can always negotiate a better price on a car...however not on warranty.

However, good on their part to admit it and resolve this. Ill give them credit there, unlike some others I've heard.
Old 06-06-14, 08:29 AM
Jovigirl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
First of all, welcome to CL. Second, sorry to hear about your troubles.

That is very disappointing to see a dealership make a mistake like that.

When it comes to cars, life is too short to drive something you don't love. Pursuing the warranty option is a good idea if you intend on keeping your RX long term. However, since you don't love it, I would suggest using this as bargaining power to get back into an ES or something else you will like more. And frankly, you ought to be able to get them to concede to more than $2k off. I got more than $2k off my new RX and they didn't even owe me anything. Perhaps they could throw in a free 3 year maintenance plan on an ES, or some other concession.

Good luck to you, Shannon!
Thank you JDR76.

I agree... life is too short not to drive what you love and I live in my car some days since I drive 26-29K a year. The service/loaner 2013 ES I want is the Fire Agate color which is a hard color to find in my area. It has 11K miles. I'm taking it as a service car for 2 days next week. A free 3 year service plan sounds like a good thought, thank you. Or should I push for it to be CPO'd at no charge?

Thanks again!
Old 06-06-14, 08:32 AM
Jovigirl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by niklow
I would take the warranty. Simply, I think you can always negotiate a better price on a car...however not on warranty.

However, good on their part to admit it and resolve this. Ill give them credit there, unlike some others I've heard.
Niklow, I agree with you and I thanked the General Manager for being up front with me about it. The dealership could have turned a blind eye to it and hoped that I'd never have to use the warranty and profited from that.
I really respect them coming forward and doing the right thing.

Thanks for your feedback.
Old 06-06-14, 12:23 PM
acitydwelr
Driver School Candidate

Welcome. Dealer mess up's are common regardless of the brand.

The CPO adds value to your vehicle.

You may wish to look up the statue of limitation and know your rights.
Old 06-06-14, 01:05 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Shannon, I'm with JDR76. If the RX is not a vehicle you like, start talking to the dealer about the 2013 ES and have them throw in a few other things. CPO is not transferable/refundable like the extended warranty. So the dealer is giving you the better deal in a sense. But that's if you keep the RX. And I doubt the refund will be close to the $2,000 they're offering. Go with your gut, it's rarely wrong. I wish you luck.
Old 06-06-14, 08:06 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jovigirl
Hello Everyone... I'm new here, so please forgive any errors I may have.
I wasn't sure where I should post this question, so I posted it in the RX category since I don't see a warranty thread.

Short story is I purchase in April 2013 one of my Lexus dealer service/loaner 2012 RX350 as a CPO vehicle with 18K miles.
I was contacted last week by the General Manager of my dealer where I purchased the car and service it that they needed to speak with me in person. I met with them the next day and they told me that when I purchased the car there was an error on someone's part and that my car was never CPO'd with Lexus. They tried doing it after the fact, but too much time had passed and it cannot be CPO'd now with 45K miles. They offered me the Lexus (not 3rd party) extended warranty for up to 125K miles at no charge. This is a $2400 value. This has to be done before I reach 50K.
Or the other option they have offered is to take off another $2K off another car if I choose to purchase/go back to an ES350 like I had before since I don't love my RX like I did my ES.
All in all this seems like a big screw up on the dealerships end and I don't know if I'm entitled to more than the $2K or should I take it and run??
Thoughts? Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Shannon
Shannon,
I salute the dealership for keeping their side of the street clean, so to speak. I prefer the smooth ride of a sedan over the stiff ride of the utility vehicle, just like you. Your call.
Ray A.
Old 06-09-14, 06:49 AM
BEARCATJER
Driver School Candidate

I have been driving Lexus autos for 25 years...have bought new, used and CPO cars...never bought a car from the same Lexus dealer due to moving around. I am very surprised that Lexus would refuse to convert your car to CPO status after the fact due to the dealer's mistake. If it were me i would be dealing with the Corporate office of Lexus directly, not through the dealer, to get this corrected , or at least to convince myself it wasnt going to be taken care of by Lexus. I suspect Lexus has a program with their dealers to correct dealer mistakes of this and other types , but the dealer doesnt want to use it because it will be expensive for them. With the attitude Lexus and all Lexus dealers i have even seen have in dealing with Lexus customers, this dealer is throwing you a bone which i would reject unless i had personally dealt with Lexus and was convinced i couldnt get them to convert the car to CPO status...especially since it only has 45k miles on it...many CPO cars are purchased with 45k miles on them...and you have had no problems with the car to date.

As others say if you really dont like the RX vs another model maybe parlaying this into a deal on a different carr is the way to go but a $2000 discount is a more than underwhelming offer from the dealer. Good luck!!!