RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Somewhat disappointed in RX backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-15, 05:57 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
So I wonder why so much difference? Did someone say there was a contrast adjustment?
On our 2013's press Menu, select Display, and you can access two options that may help:
  1. A general contrast slider at the bottom of that panel that effects everything
  2. If you select "Camera" in the upper right of the Display panel, a camera-only panel will come up where you can also play with some settings unique to the cam

Detail on p39 of the manual.
Old 04-08-15, 06:02 AM
Leap
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
So I wonder why so much difference? Did someone say there was a contrast adjustment?
Because they went with a different camera in the later RXes.
Old 04-08-15, 06:21 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

Thanks Bert.
Old 05-04-15, 08:03 PM
Redsands
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, new here. Just got a new 15 for my wife two weeks ago.

One thing I've noticed is that there is an ambient light sensor in the camera. When positioned in the garage the image was greyer, but I watched the screen as I pulled out slowly and as I slowly entered a more lit area the screen changed from more grey(while still in color) to full color. Like a switch had been flipped. Maybe what some are witnessing is the low light display.

I'm not sure what the benefit to this is, but it's certainly there.
Old 05-05-15, 07:35 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

well, i am just glad to finally have a back up camera so......
Old 05-12-15, 01:17 PM
rchays
Driver School Candidate

Default RX 350 Back up camera

With camera off center, I find it impossible to backup straight between lines. When I think I am between lines and I get out of the car I am embarassingly crooked. The off center camera is driving me nuts. Do you adjust to it over time? Has anyone had their camera moved to the center?
Old 05-13-15, 07:18 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rchays
With camera off center, I find it impossible to backup straight between lines. When I think I am between lines and I get out of the car I am embarassingly crooked. The off center camera is driving me nuts. Do you adjust to it over time? Has anyone had their camera moved to the center?
use your mirrors in the downward setting for parking in the lines. works much better for that. i only use the back up camera to make sure there is no bonehead walking behind me while im backing up (we have too much of that going on around here). and that there is no other obstruction directly behind me.
Old 07-10-15, 06:59 AM
LexusUgh
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 rx 350

I am astonished at how poor the back up camera is. It seemingly is pointed at the ground right behind the bumper - is "almost" b&W. And, no guide lines. With a car so poorly designed for visibility (kinda hard to look out the back with those rear seat headrests!) I'd have assumed the back up camera would be far superior. Wish there were guidelines - beyond about 4 feet the camera is a joke. I'm disgusted. I keep hoping to see someone come up with a fix. Sorry to be so negative but this simple technology shouldn't be a problem for a vehicle that cost 1/20th of a million dollars.
Old 07-10-15, 09:42 AM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusUgh
I am astonished at how poor the back up camera is. It seemingly is pointed at the ground right behind the bumper - is "almost" b&W. And, no guide lines. With a car so poorly designed for visibility (kinda hard to look out the back with those rear seat headrests!) I'd have assumed the back up camera would be far superior. Wish there were guidelines - beyond about 4 feet the camera is a joke. I'm disgusted. I keep hoping to see someone come up with a fix. Sorry to be so negative but this simple technology shouldn't be a problem for a vehicle that cost 1/20th of a million dollars.
I wonder if your camera is mis-aimed. Can you post a photo of what it's seeing? Mine certainly does not appear to be "pointed at the ground right behind the bumper". But, yes, the guidelines would be nice.
Old 07-10-15, 11:24 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The camera is far from impressive, but it does what it needs to do, which is to show the driver if there are any obstacles behind the vehicle that can't be seen out the mirrors or back window. Definitely is useful for more than just 4 feet.

Grid lines would definitely be nice.
Attached Images  
Old 07-10-15, 12:54 PM
LexusUgh
Driver School Candidate

Sorry that I'm unable to supply a photo of the rearview camera scene. Maybe with practice - perhaps a lot of practice - I'll feel comfortable with this semi-blind backing. It's certainly not an asset that Lexus ought to be promoting. I guess it's better than nothing but not much - I suppose I'm disgusted because I've seen far better rearview cameras on far cheaper vehicles. I just assumed Lexus would be better than the below acceptable that it is. Sorry for the rant, guys.
Old 07-10-15, 10:20 PM
Oldfart
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I am driving Acura TL and my wife's RX is our family car. I see no difference between the two back up cameras.
Old 07-11-15, 10:40 AM
1111GS

Received 89 Likes on 77 Posts

But that would be comparing apple to orange. I think all other models have way better camera. We are spoiled and expect high(er) quality on our Lexus.

at first I found it really annoying and disappointing esp. they put better cameras in Venza and Sienna. But once I drive the Sienna for a while and got back to the RX, I have no more complaints. I don't mind the poor camera quality anymore.
Old 07-12-15, 09:42 PM
lili43
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being off center drives me nuts. In fact, its probably the only negative gripe I have.
Old 07-18-15, 10:32 PM
Johnknee
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redsands
Hi all, new here. Just got a new 15 for my wife two weeks ago.

One thing I've noticed is that there is an ambient light sensor in the camera. When positioned in the garage the image was greyer, but I watched the screen as I pulled out slowly and as I slowly entered a more lit area the screen changed from more grey(while still in color) to full color. Like a switch had been flipped. Maybe what some are witnessing is the low light display.

I'm not sure what the benefit to this is, but it's certainly there.
Yeah I experienced the same thing going under a bridge. My map turned into a greyscale and I thought I had done something wrong. But maybe it's based on the lighting around you?

Quick Reply: Somewhat disappointed in RX backup camera