RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I need to rant!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-14, 09:10 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I need to rant!

Picked up my new RX today. Good thing, it's beautiful inside and out.
But the financing was a nightmare. Not my first deal with this dealer so I was expecting things to go as smoothly as the last 4 times. Not the case. Spent an hour waiting for the salesman to get around to us to go over the deal we had agreed to last week. Waited 2 more hours to get with the financial person. He spends 30 minutes getting the paperwork together and shows us a payment much higher than we were expecting. The rate was 1.75 higher than we were quoted last week. After discussing this with him, then he discussing it with his supervisor, we were given the lower rate but with another bank. Reason given, Lexus didn't have any special rates on the 15s. By this time we are both exhausted. We decline any extended warranties and protections, sign the papers given us with no explanations, and finally 5 hours later leave with the new RX.
Finally at home we go over the paperwork and find we paid 353.00 for dent protection & 1134.00 for paint protection, plus 112.00 for tax in these unwanted items. I thought it odd when he joked about having all the paperwork when nobody actually reads it. That should have been my first clue.
I'm so mad now I wish I had just walked away without the car. I don't understand what happened
Our credit rating is exceptional. I could have financed with USAA for a lower rate but went with Lexus because of the financing discount.
Thanks for letting me rant.

Last edited by sandy14; 05-26-14 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Added word
Old 05-26-14, 09:46 PM
Hoosiers
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sandy14, I really hate to hear this news, Any chance you can go in tomorrow and revoke those extra's (dent & paint protection)?

I surey hope this isn't what I have to look forward to ... My RX is due in tomorrow. I negotiated/agreed with the dealership on an 'out-the-door' price, and subsequently placed a deposit. Only thing in limbo is whether I'm trading in my current vehicle or not. I was told 1.9% financing was available until the end of May, and I assumed it was through Lexus. Will let you know how things go tomorrow (if the car has made it to my dealership).
Old 05-26-14, 10:22 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Sandy, I'm sorry this happened to you. They put you thru the grinder.
You said you'd wished you'd walked and left the car there. A friend in NJ took a brand new Subaru back to the dealer in less than 24 hours after signing, for a full refund because the seats didn't have memory. The dealer of course refused, but gave in because he threatened to put the story of Facebook. Go figure.
Maybe you can go take your car back to the dealer and get a refund. Is there a three-day cooling-off period in Texas?
You said you paid tax on "protection". I don't know about Texas, but here in CA, we pay sales tax on hard goods only, not services.
Hope things straighten out for you.
Ray A.
Old 05-26-14, 11:49 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sandy, your story is typical dealership behavior.
I was a victim too ( HONDA dealership owned by my LEXUS dealership)
and i have a printed certifciate from cars.com/ trueprice.com i forgot which one.
They did honor the certificate, but they sneaked in some accessories and paint protection.

Like you, we got in around 5pm with a specific color combination in mind, we didn't even test drove the car.
So choosing the car from the lot was 5 minutes.
But the whole song and dance from the sales to the finance guys etc etc took hours.

We left the dealership around 11pm and we haven't had dinner.
We too, have exceptional credit , and we walked in with a pre approved car loan from our credit union
But the sales guy was so persistent that he can give us a lower rate, which they did.. But with all the add ons
It basically comes out the same PLUS The 6 hours or wearing us down.

Remember, they do this for a living, and they do it everyday,
It's hard to WIN.
Old 05-27-14, 04:31 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where in Texas?
Old 05-27-14, 04:59 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Thanks everyone. Makes me feel better knowing we're not the only ones getting duped.
Hoosiers, we were originally told the same thing about the 1.9% but then yesterday they said it was only for the 14s
I'm hoping you have better luck. I'll be thinking about you today.
Raylor, tax on goods only, here too. That's what makes me so mad, they treated us like we can't read. We're going back today. I want to make them take back the car. My husband just wants to straighten out the mess.
Markrivers, we were so tired and hungry we just wanted to go. We didn't take the pre-approval info from USAA because we were expecting a good deal from LFS. USAA gave us .09% but I went with LFS because our GX is financed with them and it just made things easier.
We're under a flash flood warning this morning but I'm determined to get this resolved today. I want to look into this cooling off period. That's the way I want to go.
I've lost my respect for Lexus. Makes me feel like a fool because I thought they were above all this.
Old 05-27-14, 07:18 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Originally Posted by sandy14
I want to look into this cooling off period. That's the way I want to go.
I was grasping at straws with the cooling off period law. Here's what Edmunds.com says:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/un...ur-rights.html

Stick to your guns. Good luck.

Ray A.
Old 05-27-14, 07:20 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Very sorry to hear this. Hopefully the situation can be rectified to your satisfaction. It should have went much easier. When I bought my IS, I told them what time I was coming to pick it up. I got there and they had all the paperwork ready, with the deal we had discussed (no extras!). I was out of there in 30 minutes. That's how it should have been for you.

Good luck!
Old 05-27-14, 07:48 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by txes
Where in Texas?
Lexus of Clear Lake in Houston
Old 05-27-14, 07:53 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Very sorry to hear this. Hopefully the situation can be rectified to your satisfaction. It should have went much easier. When I bought my IS, I told them what time I was coming to pick it up. I got there and they had all the paperwork ready, with the deal we had discussed (no extras!). I was out of there in 30 minutes. That's how it should have been for you.

Good luck!
And that's how it's been previously. My husband just bought a 14 GX in January. Smooth as could possibly go. Yesterday, same salesman, same dealership, and totally different results.

We have already notified the salesman. He vowed to make it right. We'll see.
Old 05-27-14, 08:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

sandy14, sorry to hear you had problems picking up your new RX. As you can see, others have had the same experience. Give your salesperson the opportunity to make it right. Be direct with what you want (i.e. cancellation of the dent and pain protection). No doubt the whole experience has rattled your faith. But returning the RX is probably the last thing you want to do after mulling over your decision as long as you have. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 05-27-14, 08:52 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry about your day. Should have been a better experience since you are the one that walked in the door with $$ to spend.

Went through similar last year with my son.We made the rounds of the local dealers, he was looking for his 1st new car. 1st year med. student with a limited income but could swing the transportation with a new vehicle. Told him before we started that all the salesmen(women) he will meet will by happy-face, smiling, how much do you want to spend, best buddies. They are not personally interested in anyone coming through the doors. They want you to "sign here" put the money down & then get out of the way. Problem with your new purchase ?.............service is pretty busy now but call back in a few days. He settled on a new Jetta, about the only thing he could physically fit into without bending his neck to sit up !
Day of closing, we walked out after waiting 45 minutes for documents. Told the salesman to keep the car. Thought they were ready before we left the house. Received a call next day from sales manager, his tail was tucked in pretty tight. BINGO!
We saw a voluntary minor price change & treated with a much better attitude.We are here to spend our $$. How bad do you want it ? He bought the car.

Local Lexus dealer, on the other hand, was like gold to us. I'll go back there next purchase either new or used.

Last edited by SteveCraig; 05-27-14 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-27-14, 09:21 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the dent protection for some $500 from a Lexus dealer in north Houston (I was living there at the time). I then moved to a different state. I wrote to the dent company and never receive a reply. $500 down the drain. This protection maybe okay if you don't move.

What the heck is a paint protection? I say you can cancel these two options within 3 days because that is the length of time given to consumers if in case you change your mind and don't want to buy it. The dealer and your salesman should have explain this thoroughly. I hope you called them and told your salesman you want to cancel these options.
Old 05-27-14, 09:51 AM
raylor4
Instructor

I forgot to tell you that everything was smooth as glass at Lexus of Roseville during our CPO purchase until we got to the finance guy. He told us that we would have to pay big bucks if anything went wrong with the car and showed us the classic "8 X 10 with circles and arrows" like in the famous song.
Anyway, he said we were fools not to buy the extended warranty and the car was sure to cause us major grief if we didn't buy what he was selling.
We looked him in the eye, said "We don't want a car that's going to fall apart." He then literally threw all our papers into the trash, we walked out and over to the salesman, told him what happened, and he said to come back "tomorrow at noon". There would be a nicer person in the finance booth. Sure enough, the second finance guy didn't push the extended warranty, we paid cash, and we were turned over the the very excellent delivery team.
We complained to the manager the next day about the finance guy, but he just said "That's the way he is and we can't change him."
Finally, I agree with Anita. Get the protection stuff reversed under the three-day-rule, or whatever rule you choose to invoke, have the salesperson make things right, and enjoy your new baby.
Hope this helps.
Ray A.

Last edited by raylor4; 05-27-14 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Grammar, clarity.
Old 05-27-14, 10:54 AM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Sorry about your day. Should have been a better experience since you are the one that walked in the door with $$ to spend.

Went through similar last year with my son.We made the rounds of the local dealers, he was looking for his 1st new car. 1st year med. student with a limited income but could swing the transportation with a new vehicle. Told him before we started that all the salesmen(women) he will meet will by happy-face, smiling, how much do you want to spend, best buddies. They are not personally interested in anyone coming through the doors. They want you to "sign here" put the money down & then get out of the way. Problem with your new purchase ?.............service is pretty busy now but call back in a few days. He settled on a new Jetta, about the only thing he could physically fit into without bending his neck to sit up !
Day of closing, we walked out after waiting 45 minutes for documents. Told the salesman to keep the car. Thought they were ready before we left the house. Received a call next day from sales manager, his tail was tucked in pretty tight. BINGO!
We saw a voluntary minor price change & treated with a much better attitude.We are here to spend our $$. How bad do you want it ? He bought
Local Lexus dealer, on the other hand, was like gold to us. I'll go back there next purchase either new or used.
Good for your son. Very smart young man.

Quick Reply: I need to rant!