RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX vs 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-14, 10:53 PM
bmaez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX vs 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Anyone compare the Overland to the AWD 350? What were your thoughts and what pushed you over to Lexus?

I'm not sure if we're sold on the ECO Diesel so we were looking at the V8 but no matter the engine option they were over 50K for the AWD. I think the obvious would be the offroad capabilities would go to Jeep and I think the interior is bigger but the seats felt narrow and stiff in the leather.

Also, we're moving to VA in about 3 months so I'm a little undecided if we should wait to buy. Would I get a better deal in VA as opposed to Gilbert, AZ where tax is a little higher (8%)?

Anyone have experience with Phoenix Lexus and Jeep dealers? Earnhardt Jeep in Gilbert in particular. Probably get more wiggle room out of the Jeep.
Old 05-15-14, 05:42 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeep Grand Cherokee vs. Lexus RX350

Run, don't walk away from the Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Check Consumer Reports, Edmunds, KBB, JD Power, TrueDelta, etc.

CR: Lexus is the number one brand for reliability. Jeep is the worst brand for reliability.
CR: Lexus RX reliability is 60% better than average (in luxury SUV category). JGC is 90% worse than average (in midsize SUV category).

Just ordered a 2015 Lexus RX 350 (AWD) that should arrive in July. We did consider the JGC. It's a nice looking vehicle that rides well. Unfortunately the quality control is awful.

Last edited by jdshaw; 05-15-14 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-15-14, 05:56 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, I have a buddy who has been buying Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep SUVs for many years, but then complains constantly about how many times he has to take his vehicles to the dealer for repair work. Usually at least once a month.

However, he won't buy any Japanese vehicles--period. He doesn't know what he's missing.

Lastly, he always dumps the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeeps before the warranty expires. Gee, I wonder why?
Old 05-15-14, 06:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

We considered the Jeep when we bought our RX. We had drove a '14 Cherokee as a rental car on vacation, and quite liked it. The only issue I had it in terms of driving was with the 8 speed auto. Every time we'd roll up to a stop, such as at a stoplight, it would make this horrible "thunk". I was not sure if it was just limited to this one rental car (which only had 2k miles on it) or if it was a characteristic of the design.

I did like the size and definitely the style. It has a much more masculine appearance than the RX. When it came time to write the check, we decided on the RX, as we do love Lexus and the RX is the number one rated vehicle for reliability by J.D. Power. I felt that I would always be concerned about the quality and reliability of the Jeep, where a quality concerns would never even cross my mind with the RX.

7 months in on our ownership of the RX, I could not be happier. We made the right decision.
Old 05-15-14, 08:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

FWIW, my parents have a 3 year old GC. The rattles are pretty bad. The last time I was in it there was an annoying sound coming from the moonroof right over my head. I also don't like the plastic interior pieces. About the only two things I like about it over my RX are the panoramic moonroof and the nav display with speed and altitude. But no power tailgate is available with that moonroof configuration. I'd choose the RX for reliability and more luxurious ride and interior.

Regarding your questions on Lexus dealers, check the regional forums for recommendations. I think you're better off waiting until you get to the east coast. You'll have more choices and negotiating power. It's also one less thing to worry about transporting. Good luck in your choice and upcoming move.
Old 05-15-14, 09:42 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My 2 cents

Originally Posted by bmaez
Anyone compare the Overland to the AWD 350? What were your thoughts and what pushed you over to Lexus?

-[COLOR="Blue"]apples and oranges. SUV vs a CUV. A More appropriate Lexus contender is the GX 460 [COLOR]

I'm not sure if we're sold on the ECO Diesel so we were looking at the V8 but no matter the engine option they were over 50K for the AWD. I think the obvious would be the offroad capabilities would go to Jeep and I think the interior is bigger but the seats felt narrow and stiff in the leather.
- how many times a year do you do offroading? The RX 350/450h is never intended for that, it's a highway cruiser. In the manual there's actually a warning regarding driving in the sand/beach area.
If you want an AWD for a pile of snow, then the RX350 will be ok.
If you want a dedicated 4Hi/4Lo, then the GX460/ Jeep will do the trick

Also, we're moving to VA in about 3 months so I'm a little undecided if we should wait to buy. Would I get a better deal in VA as opposed to Gilbert, sAZ where tax is a little higher (8%)?
- can't answer this
Anyone have experience with Phoenix Lexus and Jeep dealers? Earnhardt Jeep in Gilbert in particular. Probably get more wiggle room out of the Jeep.
And the cherokee and grand cherokee are 2 different animals.
The 9 speed transmission is refined in the grand cherokee.
As for the Cherokee, it's basically drving a Fiat.

Last edited by markrivers; 05-15-14 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-15-14, 10:03 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
The 9 speed transmission is refined in the grand cherokee.
I don't think the 9 speed is available in the Grand Cherokee, which has the 8 speed. The 9 speed is in the Cherokee only.
Old 05-15-14, 10:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

It is Toyota reliability that keeps me returning to the Lexus dealership. My DD has always been a Toyota product, but we have owned other makes as well. Each non-Toyota vehicle have left a sour taste in my mouth. Dealing with repairs, even under warranty, is not something I am willing to spend my time on.
Old 05-15-14, 10:32 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Some people have loose change lying around and would probably not worry about resale value, but here the Grand Cherokee is real bad news if you want to trade it in.
Old 05-15-14, 05:24 PM
bmaez
Driver

Appreciate all the input. I kinda figured reliability would be a problem with the jeep but it seems hit or miss on the jeep forums.
Old 05-15-14, 06:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by bmaez
Appreciate all the input. I kinda figured reliability would be a problem with the jeep but it seems hit or miss on the jeep forums.

Keep in mind you're in a Lexus forum... but putting any biases aside, the facts speak for themselves as many have pointed out - i.e. RX reliability is #1 among all SUVs. Then there's even resale in the RX's favor. And for me, I value a high-quality interior in terms of materials and fit/finish which the RX is better than the top-line Summit although the real-wood grain and leather in the Jeep is excellent and overall fit-and-finish is among the best Chrysler offers today.

In Jeep's favor, its platform is based on the last gen MB ML which translates to near-RX-like ride comfort and Noise Vibration & Harshness qualities, plus it has traction and off-road capabilities that are second to none. Styling is subjective and for me, I personally prefer the sleeker and sportier look of the RX especially in F-Sport trim, but I can see how the GC appeals as well with more macho styling and a modern but Jeep-classy front-end.

Finally, for 50k+ large, brand and dealer service becomes important to me and the Lexus wins here hands down.

Good luck with the decision!
Old 05-15-14, 07:11 PM
tlavergne
Driver School Candidate

I just made this decision and bought my first Lexus (RX350) a few weeks ago. I have a wonderful local jeep dealership that I would have liked to have given business to, but after doing the research I went 60 miles away to the Lexus dealership.
Old 05-15-14, 09:47 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I don't think the 9 speed is available in the Grand Cherokee, which has the 8 speed. The 9 speed is in the Cherokee only.
You're right!
The Grand Cherokee still have the 8 speed .
Old 05-16-14, 09:57 AM
Quadro
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
...plus it has traction and off-road capabilities that are second to none
This is a very uninformed statement. For starters both ML and JGC have abysmal wheel articulation which is a very important design goal and metric for an off-road vehicle.
Old 05-16-14, 10:33 AM
nipponbird
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Quadro
This is a very uninformed statement. For starters both ML and JGC have abysmal wheel articulation which is a very important design goal and metric for an off-road vehicle.
Don't want to slam a vehicle that one wants to believe has still some lineage with something iconic like a ****** pickup truck, even if it is only the name "Overland". The Grand Cherokee doesn't feature here on the shopping list of 4x4's in the pockets of the guys that travel up in Africa. These harsh judges of off-road ability can usually be taken seriously, cause getting stuck somewhere in Central Africa can really spoil your day. In fact I don't even think the Wrangler is on that list.
It can do better off-road than a Lexus RX350, I believe, but I don't think that should be a criterium for a guy who considers which one to buy.

Quick Reply: RX vs 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland