RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Opinions on stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 10:02 PM
armadillo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO the ML system is not worth $1K. I listened to both as I was trying to make a decision. Frankly, $1K is not normally something I worry about, but I wanted to know what the big deal was about the ML system. So I drove two RX, one with ML and one with stock audio system. I have high end audio at home and frankly, cars simply cannot deliver the sound experience I have at home. But the ML system did not really add much in terms of audio performance in real life driving environments. Given the limitations of the cabin, both systems delivered acceptable audio, but nothing I would enjoy for hours on end. The ML system is marginally better, but nothing that would justify $1K (regardless of whether you can afford it). I decided for stock, since my trips are short anyway, My 2 cents...
Old 04-22-14, 05:22 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Sound sounds different to each of us. The salesman may believe the sound is as good or better from his own experience.

I had a choice between the two systems in my 2014 RX350 and found that, for me, there is not a great deal of sound quality difference noticeable in a moving vehicle to justify the added cost of ML. That is likely due to my very old ears and that I supported a howitzer battalion in the Army when I was young. OOW, my hearing is far from perfect.

The best advice I can offer is to take a few of your favorite CDs to the dealer and listen to them in each. You decide what you can hear, not us, or your salesman. Also listen to the systems while on the road. The RX350 cabin is not very quiet.
Old 04-22-14, 06:20 AM
txes
Lead Lap

This will be interesting if it works.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1091600_harman-launches-clari-fi-audio-tech-in-2015-lexus-nx

Not interesting enough for me to consider the pint size NX though.

John
Old 04-22-14, 03:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Some of us paid more than $1K for ML. But I have a 6-CD changer

Sandy14, your salesperson's statement about the premium being better than ML is an opinion. This is such a subjective topic. If you can, definitely try both before deciding. From my experience Lexus' stereos lack bass. You can add a subwoofer or two in the back to help overcome that. It's easy and relatively inexpensive thing to do. One of the reasons I went with ML was to remove the temptation to spend $$$$ on aftermarket equipment, LOL! I am happy with it though. My seat massage days are over

Originally Posted by txes
This will be interesting if it works.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...-2015-lexus-nx

Not interesting enough for me to consider the pint size NX though.

John
John, I saw the NX yesterday at the New York International Auto Show. It's not that small.
Old 04-22-14, 03:50 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jfelbab
Sound sounds different to each of us. The salesman may believe the sound is as good or better from his own experience.

I had a choice between the two systems in my 2014 RX350 and found that, for me, there is not a great deal of sound quality difference noticeable in a moving vehicle to justify the added cost of ML. That is likely due to my very old ears and that I supported a howitzer battalion in the Army when I was young. OOW, my hearing is far from perfect.

The best advice I can offer is to take a few of your favorite CDs to the dealer and listen to them in each. You decide what you can hear, not us, or your salesman. Also listen to the systems while on the road. The RX350 cabin is not very quiet.
I'm not sure I qualify as an audiofile but I can say for sure that the JBL system in my wife's previous 2002 Highlander sounded WAY better than the audio system in my 2013 Rx450h. If I fade the speakers all the way to back it sounds distant and tinny. I had a loaner Rx350 last time in for service and it didn't sound much better so I believe it's likely the environment in the Rx cabin that is the culprit. Sure, if I turn it up REAL LOUD it sounds great but a truly good audio system produces rich highs and lows at low volumes just as well.
Old 04-22-14, 03:54 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Kitlz,

My guess is that it is Infiniti EX35 size.

I had one before my 2013 ES350. It was basically a two adult two kid in the back seat SUV.

And minimal cargo space to boot. By the end of the three year lease I was hating it.

John
Old 04-22-14, 03:57 PM
txes
Lead Lap

As far as the ML, go to the ES board and read about the battles there.

A lot of unhappy campers when it came to bass.

John
Old 04-28-14, 09:00 AM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Hello, I had a chance to do some serious listening and tweaking in our 2014 RX350 with the "stock" 12-Speaker Stereo. While I do not consider myself in the upper echelon of Audiophiles, I do know my music, having owned nearly 8,000 records and CD's in my lifetime. I have always had very decent home stereo's. I also owned one of, if not, the first Car Stereo that featured a separate Amp, it was made by Westport back around 1975 and I had customer home speakers in my car that featured Phillips tweeters and Mid-ranges as well as 8" woofers - mounted in my Pinto (funny - I know)...

As far as "reference disks" I used the following:
1. Dark Side of the Moon (DSOTM): Pink Floyd (Re-mastered version)
2. Peter Murphy: Love Hysteria (Re-mastered version, recorded as a DDD disc in 1988).

Results/Impressions:
1. I have listened to DSOTM, a thousand times dating back to its original release, I know every twist & turn and the system faithfully reproduced the music.
2. Peter Murphy: I have listened to this LP & CD hundreds of times over the years and since it was recorded in DDD, there is much more detail in the music, there are little bells, there are BIG drums, acoustic guitars and of course Peter's awesome voice. The system perfectly reproduced all of this!

ADJUSTMENTS:
Being very picky about the sound, I do agree the system could use more Bass, not booming Rap-style bass, but just some punch so that the drums can do their job and keep the beat. I adjusted the Bass +2. Next I find the system is overly bright (for the types of music I listen to), so I backed off the Treble -2. Then I wanted to push the vocals more to the front of the music, so I boosted the Mid-Range +1. Lastly, and this is just my personnel taste, I like to hear the music from the rear speakers, typically Car manufacturers blast you with the front speakers and you cannot even hear the Rear speakers, so I like to fade the Rear speakers, to being at a point where I can hear BOTH evenly. To do this in the RX, I adjusted the Rear +2 or the Front -2.

If this was my daily driver, I would probably look to mount some sort of custom sub in that open space in the trunk-shelf, but as my wife will be driving this vehicle the most, I will hold off and just enjoy it as-is. I can also tell you that the stock RX350 sounds BETTER than the 600w 11-speaker JBL Stereo that is in our Venza and the 12 speaker Harman Karden stereo that came stock in my 330 BMW!

Last edited by Dreamlab; 05-19-14 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-28-14, 09:05 AM
armadillo
Driver School Candidate

This is spooky. Those are the exact same settings I have in my RX450h with stock system.
Old 04-28-14, 09:07 AM
Dreamlab
Rookie

Originally Posted by armadillo
This is spooky. Those are the exact same settings I have in my RX450h with stock system.
Great minds think alike ...I guess...!
Old 04-29-14, 11:46 AM
ngerstman
Rookie

I am a long time audiophile who has put $5,000+ after market stereos in many of my autos over the last 35 years. I have heard from many reliable sources that the ML system is not quite worth the money and is certainly not up to the historic ML name(mind you ML the man has not been involved with ML the company for decades at this point!). The quality of the ML systems also vary significantly from Lexus vehicle to vehicle, in part due to space, accoustics, design, etc. I find the stock 12 speaker system to be reasonably well designed, with the tweeter and midrange drivers at ear level for good imaging and extended frequency response, even with road noise. The system has virtually no bass response below 50 -60 cycles which is not that unheard of in car systems. As I wrote about in past thread, I added a ten inch powered Rockford Fosgate subwoofer to hang out in the cargo area, which if adjusted properly, which to me means not turned up too high and crossed over at correct frequency, helps the sound meaningfully. The woofer was $180 and cost $100 to install. The install involved running the speaker leads off the stock rear subwoofer in the rear drivers side panel to the speaker level inputs on the Rockford woofer, pretty easy. The footprint of the Rockford woofer is relatively compact. This is a cheap fix that might sound better than the ML system alone, as I have heard the bass on that system is lacking as well. You would be amazed what real bass in a car system does for the overall sound, opens everything up and adds some real world impact, most drivers have no idea since they have never heard a great car system. Most car systems don't spend the money or dedicate the space for a real subwoofer, a pain when you have limited space and so few people care. Thanks. Regards. Ned.
Old 04-29-14, 05:58 PM
mjhdo1
Driver School Candidate

I have the ML. I like it. I do notice a little improvement over the regular/premium system when listening to classical and jazz, but not a large improvement. I am not an audiophile. To me, the improvement the ML offers is worth about $250, not $1,000. But do I enjoy having it? Yes. The Nav is also not worth the up-charge, but I enjoy it very much too. If we are all honest, I think most will admit Garmin makes a much better Nav system for way less than Lexus, and the ML is OK but not worth $1,000. So to answer your question, NO, I don't think the ML is worth $1,000. But I enjoy it, regardless.
Old 05-07-14, 07:36 AM
thelew67
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Surround sound

Had a dealer loaner with the surround sound and I'm jealous. It sounds great, better than the system in my 2012 RX350 (just the standard 12 speaker system) I wish the previous owner had went for the higher end system. Its a must for any kind of music listening.
Old 05-07-14, 09:40 AM
CanadianRX
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by thelew67
Had a dealer loaner with the surround sound and I'm jealous. It sounds great, better than the system in my 2012 RX350 (just the standard 12 speaker system) I wish the previous owner had went for the higher end system. Its a must for any kind of music listening.
I have the ML it's good if it's over vol 35. I had to +6 the bass and +5 the treble to give it that punch. Still could use more low end. I'd like to try the premium to compare. I can tell you that ML does not distort at high volumes.
Old 05-13-14, 08:06 AM
thelew67
Rookie

Default High Volume

I have to boost my volume up to at least 39 - 41 for the system to start kicking is this normal??

Quick Reply: Opinions on stereo