RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Underwhelmed with 5000 mile service.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 06:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The loaner policy varies from dealer to dealer. My dealer does not provide a loaner for any service under 2 hours. For those shorter services, they offer a shuttle service.

From the Lexus Warranty & Services Guide, the Lexus policy is to provide loaners for overnight services:

Loaner Vehicle
If your vehicle must be kept overnight at a Lexus dealership for a warranty covered condition that requires more than eight hours to repair, Lexus will provide you with a complimentary loaner vehicle for up to five days.
http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...350_WSG_lr.pdf
Old 06-25-14, 07:32 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been to two Lexus dealers, one in Texas and one in Nevada. I have good experiences from both. Of course the service was free for the first 25K, part of the incentive when I bought the car. Now that the free service is over, I am doing regular maintenance myself. For heavy repair, I will either take it to the dealer or look for an independent garage.
Old 06-25-14, 08:56 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The loaner policy varies from dealer to dealer. My dealer does not provide a loaner for any service under 2 hours. For those shorter services, they offer a shuttle service.

From the Lexus Warranty & Services Guide, the Lexus policy is to provide loaners for overnight services:

JDR76, the information you quoted is for warranty related repair. Most dealers will provide loaners for routine maintenance taking a few hours, or overnight if they have to order a part under warranty or otherwise. My SA always offers them to me, even for the minor stuff, but I pass. The last thing I want to do is hop into another car after driving 45 minutes to get there. Instead I make myself comfy in the lounge or walk over to the showroom. Most times we're only talking about an hour.
Old 06-25-14, 09:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kitlz
JDR76, the information you quoted is for warranty related repair. Most dealers will provide loaners for routine maintenance taking a few hours, or overnight if they have to order a part under warranty or otherwise. My SA always offers them to me, even for the minor stuff, but I pass. The last thing I want to do is hop into another car after driving 45 minutes to get there. Instead I make myself comfy in the lounge or walk over to the showroom. Most times we're only talking about an hour.

Understood, but it doesn't change my position that, even for the complimentary 5k and 10k services, the availability of a loaner car varies by dealership. Regardless of whether you are in for warranty or routine service, my dealer does not provide a loaner for appointments expected to last less than 2 hours.

Many times I have seen posters state on here that loaners are offered for 5k and 10k services by all dealers and that simply is not the case. This is the point I am trying to clarify.

So...like you, I just hang out there. I enjoy some free coffee and cookies, catch up with some folks I know there, take a walk, etc. I don't mind.
Old 06-25-14, 09:19 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Might want to add that loaners are usually available for scheduled appointments. In busier metro areas, it's likely with 5 or 10 day advance notice (here in NYC it's 10 days)
Old 06-25-14, 09:46 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^True, plus the people that don't return loaners when they should. Valet service would work for them instead.
Old 06-25-14, 02:00 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Understood, but it doesn't change my position that, even for the complimentary 5k and 10k services, the availability of a loaner car varies by dealership. Regardless of whether you are in for warranty or routine service, my dealer does not provide a loaner for appointments expected to last less than 2 hours.

Many times I have seen posters state on here that loaners are offered for 5k and 10k services by all dealers and that simply is not the case. This is the point I am trying to clarify.

So...like you, I just hang out there. I enjoy some free coffee and cookies, catch up with some folks I know there, take a walk, etc. I don't mind.
I am in total agreement with you here, JDR76. What is promised or inferred during the pre-sale is worthless when it actually comes time to take advantage of said promises. I would also be cautious about even taking what is stated here at CL as fact. This is not a knock against CL and its members. It is just because many of us are talking about our experiences with our Lexus vehicle(s) which can be somewhat clouded by our own life experiences. YMMV. Double check, triple check the facts. Ask questions of your service writers and service managers about their rules. There are some Lexus corporate rules the dealerships should follow that each dealership will interpret and enact to fit their own corporate identity, policies and needs. Another example beyond the availability of loaner vehicles is the topic of having the dealership add fuel to your vehicle when it is in for a recall service. Some will do it, others will not.

Here on the west coast of FL even during some of the recalls for my RX there were no loaner vehicles available as the repair would be less than 2 hours -- the threshold they use as well. Which in itself was not actually correct either. That 2 hour window is just the repair time and does not include the amount of time your vehicle sits waiting to be taken around to the service bays nor the after repair clean up process. My last visit to the dealership was a 3+ hour wait without a loaner vehicle.

They do run a shuttle, but then again so does one of the local Toyota dealerships as does Honda and many of the others. The Toyota shop in fact will even take you to the local country club as well where I can at least practice around on the putting green, go to the bar for lunch or otherwise. Lexus would only take one to the local mall. And the last time I was at the dealer they had bottled water and coffee, that was all.

Getting back to the point, be sure you understand fully what is being provided and get it in writing as best possible. Ask questions. If you do not understand their answers, ask more questions. You may not like the answers, but ask. But please be nice. Even these folks have bad days, too. If you have a problem with how you are treated by the dealership you have options. You can contact Lexus Customer Service, you can complain to the General Manager at the dealership, and if you choose you can take you money and go elsewhere. Your choice.
Old 06-25-14, 02:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
I am in total agreement with you here, JDR76.
Thanks.

And to be clear, I have no issues with my dealer's policy regarding loaner cars, as I was never promised anything more. In fact, I was given a written copy of their loaner policy at the time of purchase, which spelled out very clearly when loaner cars are offered, and when they are not.

They are willing to take me (or my wife) to work via their shuttle, which is more than acceptable to us. In cases where I make the choice to not use the shuttle service (not really necessary for a one or two hour appointment) I just hang out in their beautiful facility, or take a walk to a nearby Starbucks or other restaurant, and enjoy my time. Life is good, friends.
Old 07-07-14, 11:52 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had our 5000-mile service today.

The service advisor seemed uninterested when we wanted to go over the Personalized Settings with him (had brought along a printout). When we mentioned the press-and-hold on the key fob, and to remove the automatic moonroof opening from the equation, he said he had never heard of such a thing. It did get taken care of though.

Does anyone know why they filled the tires to 35 psi when the RX450h manual says 33 psi?

I didn't know what to expect, I just thought that it would have been a better experience. Hubby websailor said he would give them a "C".
Old 07-08-14, 05:44 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Cheryl
The reason I've switched 'routine service' to Toyota (same dealer name) is they are extremely happy to know they've won over another Lexus customer and the prices are usually less than 50% of what Lexus charges. That being said, you're still dealing with people trying to get through X number of tickets a day. I always check what oil was put in and the tire pressure's prior to leaving and do it with the Service Adviser watching. After a couple of service trips they know you're not just one more sheep following the rest off the cliff. Let them know you're in charge, they work for you the customer.
Originally Posted by cflutist
We had our 5000-mile service today.

The service advisor seemed uninterested when we wanted to go over the Personalized Settings with him (had brought along a printout). When we mentioned the press-and-hold on the key fob, and to remove the automatic moonroof opening from the equation, he said he had never heard of such a thing. It did get taken care of though.

Does anyone know why they filled the tires to 35 psi when the RX450h manual says 33 psi?

I didn't know what to expect, I just thought that it would have been a better experience. Hubby websailor said he would give them a "C".
Old 08-01-14, 01:15 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We go in for the 10K service on Monday at about 12,500 miles. I did not see a way to select an advisor when booking the appointment online so we will see if we end up with the same one.

Our appointment is at 10:30 and we asked for a shuttle and plan on going to lunch till the RX is ready and they pick us up.

We don't have any issues with the RX and expect an oil change and tire rotation will be about it.
Old 08-02-14, 04:32 PM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I always check what oil was put in and the tire pressure's prior to leaving and do it with the Service Adviser watching.
How do you check the oil to make sure it is synthetic?
Old 08-03-14, 09:15 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He has a chemist with him..silly.
Old 08-04-14, 04:09 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 10K service today was like being at a different dealer. The service advisor welcomed us and asked how we like the RX and everything was very smooth. Took the dealership shuttle to a nearby shopping center and my wife and I had a leisurely lunch. SA called as we were finishing up and said the RX was ready. Shuttle ride back and we finished up.

We have already cancelled our prepaid service plan and talked to the Napa Toyota dealer about performing the future service and will go ahead with that plan but probably would still have the service plan and still be planning on using the Lexus dealer for service if our 5K service had not been such a bad experience.

If we don't have any warranty issues we should not have to visit the Lexus dealer again till we purchase our next vehicle.