RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Underwhelmed with 5000 mile service.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-14, 05:06 PM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

At Lexus Service Center in our city you can select adviser by name when scheduling an appointment online.
Old 04-20-14, 05:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^ Same here. When I get there, I pull inside the garage, my RXh is taken right in, and my SA usually grabs me before I check in unless she has someone in her office.
Old 04-20-14, 06:56 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
You said "today" above with a Sunday date/time stamp on your message.

Did you call for an appointment in advance? Usually they assign you to a service advisor at that point and not when you get there. Has been my experience. Next time you set an appointment I would ask to be assigned to a new service writer/advisor.
Sorry, I started composing my post on Friday but didn't get it finished and uploaded till today. I should have proofread a little better.

I made the appointment online and did not notice that we were assigned an SA.

Originally Posted by cflutist
This is not encouraging. We have our first appointment with them on 7/7 at 10:30. Was thinking we could walk to the Willows Shopping Center to shop at REI and have a burger at Fuddruckers instead of waiting at the dealership.

So are you guys saying that when they call in early July to confirm our appointment (it was set up when we purchased the car) I should ask who our Service Advisor is?

Also, I think I read somewhere that it is ok to take our Lexus to a Toyota Dealer for an oil change? There is one nearby. I hate to pay the "Lexus premium" if Toyota can do it in the future. I also don't want to take it to Jiffy Lube either.
I hope your service experience there is better than ours was. As I said earlier, the experience has us seriously considering having the service done at the Napa Toyota dealership.

Originally Posted by kitlz
^ Same here. When I get there, I pull inside the garage, my RXh is taken right in, and my SA usually grabs me before I check in unless she has someone in her office.
No place to "check in". There are signs all over telling folks to stay with your vehicle, so we just waited, wondering what was suppose to happen for 5 minutes or so till someone stopped and asked us if we had been helped.

We were just at our daughter's family for Easter dinner and talking about all this. She has a relatively new Prius and she took it to a dealer near where she works in Berkeley and she was welcomed and greeted by name when she came in to drop of her car and it wasn't the dealership she purchased at. Much more like what I was expecting.

I called the manager the day of the service and was told he was not available, I did not leave a message. I'll answer the survey and if we call and cancel the prepaid service I imagine there will be questions as to why. My experience is that folks sound concerned after the fact but if customer service and satisfaction was important to them our SA would not have been the SA of the year in 2012 and our experience would have been a better one to start with.

Greeting customers when they arrive and acting like they knew we were coming and what we were there for and acting interested in our happiness with our RX is not important to this dealership or it would be happening.
Old 04-20-14, 07:39 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IIRC my first service at Lexus of Concord was a bit daunting. Regardless of your appointment time it is basically first come, first served. I will say though that after my Lexus was written up and taken in for service it was brought back to me less than an hour later. You might consider next time skipping the free car wash. With that out of the way they will expedite your Lexus. I have since had several competent Service Advisor's for subsequent service.
I for one have received excellent service from them.
Old 04-20-14, 08:34 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VVRX
IIRC my first service at Lexus of Concord was a bit daunting.
Yes, and I was not expecting daunting

Regardless of your appointment time it is basically first come, first served.
So a drop in gets service prior to an appointment? I hope you mean that among the folks showing up for an 8:00 am appointment, the one that shows up first gets serviced first. We were there at 10:30, no one else waiting and no one paying any attention to anyone waiting.

I for one have received excellent service from them.
They are a busy dealership and service department with lots of RXs in the drop off/pick up area, so someone must be happy.
Old 04-20-14, 11:59 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My SA from concord will pick my RX or IS up at my house and leave a loaner for me then bring it back when he gets off work that night or the next morning if it is better for me. I have always had great service from him. He even asks me what kind of loaner I want.
Old 04-21-14, 06:54 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgr7
My SA from concord will pick my RX or IS up at my house and leave a loaner for me then bring it back when he gets off work that night or the next morning if it is better for me. I have always had great service from him. He even asks me what kind of loaner I want.
Wow, there was never any talk of something like that, sounds like good service to me.
Old 04-21-14, 07:15 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

FYI, for your 10K service, ask for a loaner. It is included as part of the service! I didn't know this little fact when I brought my very first Lexus for its first 1K check-up service. Just be sure to let them know ahead of time, when you schedule the work to be done. You can even ask for a specific model you'd prefer to have. They may not have it, but they will go out of their way to get it. When my RX was in for service, I asked for a '14 IS250 AWD instead of another RX to drive.
Old 04-21-14, 08:14 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
FYI, for your 10K service, ask for a loaner. It is included as part of the service!.
When I made the service appointment online wait for the car, get driven and picked up to/from someplace local (the mall) and a loaner were all choices. I only expected to wait an hour, so we decided to wait. My concern was not the wiat as much as the lack of knowledge/interest regarding our RX questions and the impression we were given that us being there was a total surprise to them.
Old 04-21-14, 08:41 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

From my experience with custom settings, my SA wasn't well-versed in it either. However, he wrote everything down on the work order and let the tech figure it out and then followed-up with me via phone.

With these settings now being in the manual, it would be nice if the service staff had training on them, or at least have a reference in front of them, as they speak to the customers.

I have a prime example of a great customer service. Some 11 years ago, when I came to pick up my IS300, it wasn't prepped. They forgot that I was coming that day to pick it up. The manager, came out, apologized for the delay, gave us $40 in cash and offered for us to go out and have a dinner on them, while they get the car done. Now, that's a Lexus-level service!
Old 04-21-14, 09:54 AM
AZJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
Our experience has us rethinking the whole dealer service idea. We prepaid for the first 50,000 miles of service but it is cancellable at any time. I felt at the time of purchase our investment in a Lexus warranted spending the extra for dealer service. We will be stopping by the Toyota dealership in town and discussing getting service done there and using the dealer if there are any warranty issues.

We also did the prepay service on new 13 RX. We were very pleased with the sales process and selected a dealer 1 hour further away than the dealer servicing our 02 ES. Since we service according to the book, we thought the prepay would be cost effective. Although cancelable at any time, the refund is pro rata - as you would expect. We wanted to cancel at month 11. They would only refund 80%. The first years (or 10K) service is no charge, so we thought, we didn't use any of the prepay services and should get a better refund.....no luck.

We are a little disappointed with service writers. We try to keep are cars in top shape and maintained properly. We don't complain about minor issues, but when we ask about fixing a squeak or doing a certain job (that we are willing to pay for), some writers seem not to care about your car or your concerns.

Check out another dealer or ask others near you who are driving lexus about their service advisor.
Old 04-21-14, 11:05 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jgr7
Are you sure you didn't. Buy a Tesla model S by mistake?
This is how they do the service, which is very convenient.

The other one is Hyundai Genesis.

To the OP, dealership are independently owned so YMMV.
I have excellent service with my SoCal dealership
Because there's a LOT of them, competition is fierce.
And most dealership go mske an extra effort to earn your business
Old 04-21-14, 12:39 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems to very clear cut that service advisors are there to give service only. I personally don't see that as an issue in expecting them to be limited to the service aspect only. Receive your car, give you a loaner, etc. Unrealistic to expect a service advsor to know every detail for every model of car within the brand. They write down your question and give it to the service tech who can look at your car and then ensure you are getting a proper response. Otherwise, you'd have every Lexus owner 'stopping in' to see the service advisor as their personal genie for their questions.
Old 04-21-14, 03:46 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZJoe
...We wanted to cancel at month 11. They would only refund 80%...
Thanks for bringing that to our attention. I called Lexus Finance and the Prepaid Maintenance Agreement starts decreasing in refund value 31 days after it is purchased. 6 months later our refund is 90% of the purchase price.

I called the Napa Toyota dealer and he estimated a total of $900.00 for service every 5000 miles starting at 15,000 and going to 50,000. Even at a 90% refund we would save quite a bit of money.

I don't know if he is including the remote batteries but i figure I can handle that.
Old 04-21-14, 05:30 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe PREPAID maintenance for a Lexus/ Toyota is a waste of money.
If we're talking Germans, then that's a different story.
Although with Bimmers. They have the 4 yr/50,000 maintenance.

With our 2011 Toyota Prius, currently at 165,000 miles ( still have original brakes).
There was so little maintenance involved.
Aside from the oil changes and filters ( that I happily do myself) and tire rotations, the car seldom see the service department.
We went every 5,000 miles up to the 25,000 ( free as part of TOYOTA care)
The next one was at 60,000
Tires were replaced.
Then at 120,000 because I was lazy to replace the spark plugs myself.

Anyway, my point is, remember this is a Toyota.
A very reliable vehicle.

We used to have a Toyota T100, at 496,000 miles, that thing just won't die.
It was still running when we donated it.

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed with 5000 mile service.