RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Underwhelmed with 5000 mile service.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-14, 06:01 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

At four years I can tell you my maintenance cost to date has been far below $900. Lexus bucks help defray the cost but still, it's been nowhere near that amount. No doubt it's because my SA scrutinizes the service I request and takes out the unnecessary stuff. That's the way to go. BTW, both my SA and the tech who usually works on my RXh have RXs. No problem with knowledge there.
Old 04-22-14, 09:49 AM
AZJoe
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
At four years I can tell you my maintenance cost to date has been far below $900. \ No doubt it's because my SA scrutinizes the service I request and takes out the unnecessary stuff. That's the way to go. BTW, both my SA and the tech who usually works on my RXh have RXs. No problem with knowledge there.

Originally Posted by Tom558

I called the Napa Toyota dealer and he estimated a total of $900.00 for service every 5000 miles starting at 15,000 and going to 50,000. Even at a 90% refund we would save quite a bit of money.

We did get quotes for service costs from 2 dealers. Since we are retired we liked knowing that future cash outflow was limited. We expect service charges to rise. It appeared to be a good deal. When it looked like we would drive fewer miles, called Lexus and they said they could extend the time period of coverage, if we came up short - discuss at that time.

Anita - We had great SA for our current ES - 180K miles. He did same as your SA. Always would eliminate work not needed, no extra add ons. He was let go in a "reorganization". Have been looking for a better experience since.
Old 04-22-14, 03:02 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom558
I expected to see tire rotation on the service invoice as a line item that was performed but it was not. When I questioned it I was told it was all part of the WORLD CLASS INSPECTION and that the tires had been rotated. (Trust us.)
I just had our '13 RX in for the 5k service. "Rotate Tires" and "Lexus World Class Inspection" were listed as two separate items...
Old 04-22-14, 09:57 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
At four years I can tell you my maintenance cost to date has been far below $900. Lexus bucks help defray the cost but still, it's been nowhere near that amount. No doubt it's because my SA scrutinizes the service I request and takes out the unnecessary stuff. That's the way to go. BTW, both my SA and the tech who usually works on my RXh have RXs. No problem with knowledge there.
How did you get to know the tech? Do you just ask for him by name to specificially work on your car? Because at my dealership they just pull it into an open bay and they get going. I would love to have the same tech work on my car but it seems not worthwhile/diffucult.
Old 04-23-14, 03:31 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by lamar411
How did you get to know the tech? Do you just ask for him by name to specificially work on your car? Because at my dealership they just pull it into an open bay and they get going. I would love to have the same tech work on my car but it seems not worthwhile/diffucult.
lamar, I don't know what other dealers do. My SA has a few techs she works with including one or two she trains. She always tells them to take care of my RXh. Many of them have been around for 10+ years. She's been there 20+ years.
Old 04-23-14, 08:12 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I just had our '13 RX in for the 5k service. "Rotate Tires" and "Lexus World Class Inspection" were listed as two separate items...
That is what I expected to see. Thanks for letting me know that some dealers itemize this service.
Old 04-23-14, 01:21 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Inform your sales person of your experience. He should have a vested interest in keeping you happy.
Old 04-24-14, 01:57 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the OP is expecting way too much. The Service Dept and Sales Dept are separate....the SA really doesn't care how you like your vehicle, he/she is there to write you up and get the vehicle in and out as soon as possible.

I've had my two Lexus' to four different dealerships for service (two while travelling) and all the experiences were very good. Maintenance on a Lexus is pretty minimal....I always skip the standard service pkgs they offer at various mileages....most of the stuff is inspection which they will do anyway when you do the oil/filter changes. I really don't want/need a bunch of hand holding....I just want to buy the vehicle at a fair price and have it serviced with minimal hassle.
Old 04-24-14, 06:01 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Evitzee
I think the OP is expecting way too much.
You had to be there to see the SA's attitude about even writing up the questions we had.

My daughter recently took her Prius in for the 5000 mile service and she was greeted by name and welcomed to the dealership.

I spoke with a Toyota SA here in Napa and he seemed very interested in doing the service work on the Lexus and spoke at length about what he could and could not do. The 10K service is included in the purchase price of our RX so we will be taking it to the Lexus dealer for that service but after that we will be giving the Toyota dealer a try.

If my wife and I have questions about how our RX works or should work we will ask the question here and go from there.
Old 04-30-14, 09:16 AM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VVRX
IIRC my first service at Lexus of Concord was a bit daunting. Regardless of your appointment time it is basically first come, first served. I will say though that after my Lexus was written up and taken in for service it was brought back to me less than an hour later. You might consider next time skipping the free car wash. With that out of the way they will expedite your Lexus. I have since had several competent Service Advisor's for subsequent service.
I for one have received excellent service from them.
Well this ran in the local newspaper today and it sure tarnishes that dealership. Just found one of the plaintiff's business card in my secret compartment with the manuals:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/News...ft-and-racial#

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/04/28/67366.htm
Old 04-30-14, 09:48 AM
Tom558
Intermediate

I also saw this on the news this morning. I don't think is necessarily says anything about the service department and I did not have a bad sales experience there. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in court but after the initial press interest it will probably be difficult to follow as the coverage of any resolution will be nil.

We won't be purchasing another Lexus for a few years anyway and will probably start the dealer shopping experience all over again. If these allegations prove to be true it would probably move Lexus of Concord to the bottom of my list. Maybe there will be a Lexus of Napa by the time we purchase our next vehicle.
Old 04-30-14, 11:22 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by cflutist
Well this ran in the local newspaper today and it sure tarnishes that dealership. Just found one of the plaintiff's business card in my secret compartment with the manuals:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/News...ft-and-racial#

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/04/28/67366.htm
Wow! And I thought I had tough employers in the past!
Ray A.
Old 05-01-14, 09:43 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

Cflutist - that first oil change from Lexus is free!
Old 06-24-14, 11:25 PM
elba123
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vlad_a
FYI, for your 10K service, ask for a loaner. It is included as part of the service! I didn't know this little fact when I brought my very first Lexus for its first 1K check-up service. Just be sure to let them know ahead of time, when you schedule the work to be done. You can even ask for a specific model you'd prefer to have. They may not have it, but they will go out of their way to get it. When my RX was in for service, I asked for a '14 IS250 AWD instead of another RX to drive.
When I made my 10K service appointment, the person taking the appointment sounded as if I was making an unusual request asking for a loaner. He said loaners are given only if the appointment would take more than 1.5 hours and he did not think 10K service would take that long. The email confirmation stated the following:
Requested Arrangement: Loaner/Rental vehicle
Does one have to pay for the loaner? How much?

I live in the SF Bay area. I wonder if that makes a difference.
Old 06-25-14, 03:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

elba123, loaners are provided at no charge though some request that you replace the gas you use. The 10K is minor service, mostly check this and that with an oil change. I doubt you'll be there for more than an hour. Dealers usually reserve loaners for major services three or more hours long. Yours seems to be more liberal. Just realize other people might have the same idea about getting a loaner. You could wind up with a rental car instead.

Quick Reply: Underwhelmed with 5000 mile service.