RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tow Prep Package Installed At Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-14, 05:50 AM
egmiii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Prep Package Installed At Dealership

I'm planning to buy a 2015 RX 350 this week. The salesman said all RX 350s in our area (without Nav) do not have the tow prep package installed. The dealership claimed they can install a tow prep package in their service department. I called Lexus yesterday and they said the package must be installed at the factory. At this point I'm a little confused as to who I should believe. If I were to order an RX built to order, how long should I expect this to take? I live in CT.
Old 04-21-14, 07:20 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Don't waste your money on Towing Prep, unless you will do heavy-duty towing. It does not include a hitch!
I specifically wanted my RX without one. Just buy a hitch and a plug-in lights controller separately.
Old 04-21-14, 08:42 AM
acitydwelr
Driver School Candidate

Doesn't a typical tow package from most manufacturers include a larger radiator and in some cases an oil cooler to facilitate the additional load of towing...

I would not really believe any sales man if they cannot quote specs on a vehicle or know where to look it up on the spot. I learned this the hard way so be aware.

When they say in our area, it is likely that dealers do inventory swaps and its common to get a desired vehicle if a few calls are made. Doesnt seem like this sales man really is working very hard for their commission.
Old 04-21-14, 08:52 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

They also upgrade the alternator in the 450h. Too bad there isn't one to upgrade.
Old 04-21-14, 09:00 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure I see an issue here.

If you want to buy one already in stock, they will add the package in their service area, which isn't too complicated to do.

Does make sense that if Nav isn't installed, the tow package wouldn't be installed either. Pretty sure we aren't talking about a huge number of vehicles overall.
Old 04-21-14, 01:50 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Dealers are notorious for lying in order to sell you a car from inventory. Go to the Lexus site and search for new vehicles in your area, it will pull up more than your local dealer and then you can see if any have the tow package. I think he is lying as people tow everywhere. I got my 2010 used from Long Island and it had the tow package and AWD.

Make sure they specify exactly what they are going to replace with their dealer tow package.
If they are lazy, they could just add hitch wiring and a hitch!
Check the Lexus site to note what is included from the factory in the tow package.
On the factory package the driver side fender liner even has vents for the auxiliary trans or steering cooler.
Old 04-22-14, 06:30 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Dealers are notorious for lying in order to sell you a car from inventory. Go to the Lexus site and search for new vehicles in your area, it will pull up more than your local dealer and then you can see if any have the tow package. I think he is lying as people tow everywhere. I got my 2010 used from Long Island and it had the tow package and AWD.

Make sure they specify exactly what they are going to replace with their dealer tow package.
If they are lazy, they could just add hitch wiring and a hitch!
Check the Lexus site to note what is included from the factory in the tow package.
On the factory package the driver side fender liner even has vents for the auxiliary trans or steering cooler.
Dealer wouldn't have to by lying. How many non Nav Rx's are sitting on lots? Can't be many. Not unreasonable to assume that out of that small number of vehicles, they wouldn't have the tow package as well. Lets keep in mind we are talking about what is likely a very small sub-category of available inventory.

As long as the dealer is charging the same price for the tow package as the website, then where is there an issue?

As vlad stated, OP should see what his towing needs are and if the package is even required for his/her needs. If not, install an aftermarket system and go about your business.
Old 04-22-14, 07:39 AM
egmiii
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Dealer wouldn't have to by lying. How many non Nav Rx's are sitting on lots? Can't be many. Not unreasonable to assume that out of that small number of vehicles, they wouldn't have the tow package as well. Lets keep in mind we are talking about what is likely a very small sub-category of available inventory.

As long as the dealer is charging the same price for the tow package as the website, then where is there an issue?

As vlad stated, OP should see what his towing needs are and if the package is even required for his/her needs. If not, install an aftermarket system and go about your business.
Correct. There are very few non-NAV units sitting in inventory. Very few cars in general ship with the tow package, so I'm left with doing a special order from the factory. My towing needs exceed the standard 1500 lb capacity, so the upgrade is required. I typically buy a few yards of compost each year to spread on the lawn, topsoil to fix washout and depressions, and loan my mower out to family for fall cleanup (commercial z-turn). We have a new home and left the landscaping as project to complete over the next few years.
Old 04-22-14, 07:45 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by egmiii
Correct. There are very few non-NAV units sitting in inventory. Very few cars in general ship with the tow package, so I'm left with doing a special order from the factory. My towing needs exceed the standard 1500 lb capacity, so the upgrade is required. I typically buy a few yards of compost each year to spread on the lawn, topsoil to fix washout and depressions, and loan my mower out to family for fall cleanup (commercial z-turn). We have a new home and left the landscaping as project to complete over the next few years.
I see no reason to doubt the dealer if they say they can install the prep package in house. As long as they are charging you the regular rate, I would say go ahead and let them install and have them include the hitch. At least you will know it's all from Lexus should any issues arise.

Congrats on the new home.
Old 04-22-14, 11:38 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

The Lexus hitch costs about a $900 and the Curt is about $200. It may pay to get the Curt for them to install. Or get it installed later.
Old 04-22-14, 11:49 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

The Lexus hitch costs about a $900 and the Curt is about $200. It may pay to get the Curt for them to install. Or get it installed later.
Thanks, I meant for free if possible. Should've made that clear. Absolutely get an aftermarket hitch if they won't throw it in on a 2015..
Old 04-22-14, 12:55 PM
egmiii
Driver School Candidate

The factory tow package and Lexus brand hitch (installed) is $900. Not cheap, but I was able to negotiate a lower price to make the aftermarket not worth the hassle. I spoke to the service manager and they cannot install a tow prep package. He was given the wrong information and thought I was asking for just the hitch and wiring, not the upgraded radiator, cooler, and alternator. Any thoughts on how long a factory order is taking these days?
Old 04-22-14, 12:56 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

My tow hitch bought at Lexus of Concord was $450. Dealership charges $350 to install.
Old 04-25-14, 02:51 PM
egmiii
Driver School Candidate

So the plot thickens...

I was quoted 4 months minimum wait time on a factory order 2015, so I settled for an in stock 2013 RX 450h AWD. I justified it by the higher standard tow rating of 2000 lbs vs 1500 for the Rx350. So I drive it home, and I'm checking out the front bumper, and what do I see? A transmission cooler under the drivers side fog light. You can also see it from the drivers side wheel well. My invoice doesn't list a tow prep package, but the transmission cooler is clearly there, so I called the dealers service department to see what was up. They ran my VIN and said I have a transmission cooler, but it had a different part number than the one included on the tow prep package.

So does every RX450h ship with a transmission cooler? Does the included cooler imply a 3500# tow rating? Or do you have to upgrade the cooler to get a 3500# rating? At this point I don't know where to turn. I've called Lexus in the past and they have told me the package includes an updated alternator on the 450h, so clearly they don't know what the hell they are talking about and I can't trust their opinion. Does anyone know a solid service guy who can answer this?
Old 04-25-14, 03:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats egmiii. Chances are RXs sold around here will have the trans cooler. My 450h does but I don't have a tow hitch installed. Here is a thread in the hybrid forum about a member's experience towing in the 450h and another talking about the mechanics involved a bit.

Last edited by kitlz; 04-25-14 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Tow Prep Package Installed At Dealership