RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thinking about trading in my LS460 for RX450h

Old 04-17-14, 05:19 PM
korlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about trading in my LS460 for RX450h

I currently own 2010 LS460 and it's been fabulous car for me for years.
Comfy, roomy, fancy, and many more but since I drive so many miles daily
my body gets tired by sitting low. Yes my car is lowered.

Driving a suv or crossover vehicle does really make huge differences than sitting low in my opinion.

I've been doing some homework online because I need a suv or crossover that has better mpg than
regular bigger cars so I am leaning towards to RX450h.
Also I don't think I will buy a brand new one.
2010 or 2011 cpo sounds good to me.

I'd like to get some real opinions from the actual RX450h owners so please let me know
all pros/cons and additionally mpg you get daily (not a long trip mpg) will be also appreciated.
Old 04-17-14, 05:43 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I wouldn't buy an SUV if it was just me driving.
I'm surprised you don't find the LS comfortable for long drives.
If you altered the suspension, that might be the answer why.

RX suffers heavily from torque steer. Ultimately, it is an FWD vehicle, built on the Camry platform.
If you are used to the way LS drives, which is properly RWD-based, that that may not be to your liking.
Old 04-17-14, 05:57 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend stepping UP rather than down to an RX350H, a friend just bought a Tesla and loves it; of course great on gas and he could sell it for what he paid for it tomorrow...a waiting list; but most of all , very comfy!
Old 04-17-14, 06:42 PM
jmramos107
Driver School Candidate

Default Interesting

I work for Lexus of Englewood. .and have driven both numerous times...the 450h is a very unique vehicle in its own class...it is very composed..quiet and efficient
Old 04-17-14, 07:01 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got one of the very 1st RX450h models, built in May of 09 as a 2010. With about 60,000 miles now Watson has been a perfect car. I haven't reset the long term mileage in the computer now for about 3 years and it's at 30mpg overall. Not to shabby for a car with that weight and nearly 300hp. And everything still works as if new, loving it. As far as visibility and comfort, it's excellent in both. You should like it a lot.
Originally Posted by korlexus

Driving a suv or crossover vehicle does really make huge differences than sitting low in my opinion.

I've been doing some homework online because I need a suv or crossover that has better mpg than

I'd like to get some real opinions from the actual RX450h owners so please let me know
all pros/cons and additionally mpg you get daily (not a long trip mpg) will be also appreciated.
Old 04-18-14, 02:57 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The RX450h only suffers from torque steer when you are absolutely gunning it. Its only minor and doesnt affect me too much since I dont regularly have the pedal pushed all the way down to the floor. I can only feel it when im accelerating hard to enter a motorway but by that time im at 80+ mph anyway
Old 04-18-14, 07:23 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
The RX450h only suffers from torque steer when you are absolutely gunning it. Its only minor and doesnt affect me too much since I dont regularly have the pedal pushed all the way down to the floor. I can only feel it when im accelerating hard to enter a motorway but by that time im at 80+ mph anyway
Each time I take a turn and accelerate at the same time, I have to hold on to the steering wheel while left and right wheels fight each other. That would only be at slow speeds. I am more sensitive to it than other RX owners because my DD is a pure RWD with 0 torque-steer (same as OP). One time, i almost took out a mailbox when doing a U-turn, as RX wrestled the steering wheel out of my hands when I reversed out of a drive-way and gunned it. It was unnatural behavior for me. I expected the rear to turn in the direction where the steering wheel was pointed, not the steering wheel rotating back to where the car was aimed at.
Old 04-18-14, 10:41 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Each time I take a turn and accelerate at the same time, I have to hold on to the steering wheel while left and right wheels fight each other. That would only be at slow speeds. I am more sensitive to it than other RX owners because my DD is a pure RWD with 0 torque-steer (same as OP). One time, i almost took out a mailbox when doing a U-turn, as RX wrestled the steering wheel out of my hands when I reversed out of a drive-way and gunned it. It was unnatural behavior for me. I expected the rear to turn in the direction where the steering wheel was pointed, not the steering wheel rotating back to where the car was aimed at.
Never experienced that to be honest. Mine only does it if accelerating very hard. Never hard a turning problem although I swing the car round the turns and then accelerate. I also have a RWD Mercedes diesel which spins its back wheels out if im not careful, too much torque lol
Old 04-18-14, 10:51 AM
korlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I wouldn't buy an SUV if it was just me driving.
I'm surprised you don't find the LS comfortable for long drives.
If you altered the suspension, that might be the answer why.

RX suffers heavily from torque steer. Ultimately, it is an FWD vehicle, built on the Camry platform.
If you are used to the way LS drives, which is properly RWD-based, that that may not be to your liking.
True. I got very used to drive RWD last 10 years. The lowered suspension is not as much comfortable as the stock models but I found myself more comfortable sitting higher than sedans.
This is going to be my daily car for commuting so I won't drive like how I drive it like it is LS or RWD car.
Old 04-18-14, 10:52 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by korlexus

You will sacrifice the ride quality by switching to a CUV.
Whether it's anotheR LExus ( softer)
or one of the germans ( X5, Q5, Tiguan) which are a lot stiffer/ sportier.

I have a Colleague who owns both, an LS 460L and an RX 350AWD.
He can't stand the RX he doesn't even want to call it a Lexus ride.. And we're talking about the regular RX here, not the F sport.
Old 04-18-14, 10:53 AM
korlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by dctex99
I would recommend stepping UP rather than down to an RX350H, a friend just bought a Tesla and loves it; of course great on gas and he could sell it for what he paid for it tomorrow...a waiting list; but most of all , very comfy!
Stepping up every time you change your car makes sense but I don't think I am at the level that can afford a Tesla as a commuter lol.
Old 04-18-14, 10:55 AM
korlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by jmramos107
I work for Lexus of Englewood. .and have driven both numerous times...the 450h is a very unique vehicle in its own class...it is very composed..quiet and efficient
Yes, they both drive very nice.
I think it is just a matter of purpose of having/driving it.
Old 04-18-14, 10:57 AM
korlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I've got one of the very 1st RX450h models, built in May of 09 as a 2010. With about 60,000 miles now Watson has been a perfect car. I haven't reset the long term mileage in the computer now for about 3 years and it's at 30mpg overall. Not to shabby for a car with that weight and nearly 300hp. And everything still works as if new, loving it. As far as visibility and comfort, it's excellent in both. You should like it a lot.
30mpg for that size of vehicle!!
That's what I am talking about.
Old 04-18-14, 11:02 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
My brother owns an 85kw model S.
With a modest option, it's $83,670 before taxes.

I like the ride ( im biased since i have an electric RAV4)

I HATE the seats. Can i say that again, HATE HATE the seats. And the rest of the interior.
For that pricei can't help but compare the TESLA to a 7 series, S class, A8 and of course an LS.

Ignoring the technology ( which is half the price of the Tesla)' i feel like sitting in a $35,000 entry level premium
Old 04-18-14, 11:02 AM
korlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by markrivers
You will sacrifice the ride quality by switching to a CUV.
Whether it's anotheR LExus ( softer)
or one of the germans ( X5, Q5, Tiguan) which are a lot stiffer/ sportier.

I have a Colleague who owns both, an LS 460L and an RX 350AWD.
He can't stand the RX he doesn't even want to call it a Lexus ride.. And we're talking about the regular RX here, not the F sport.
Your co-worker think his RX too sporty and stiff than other lexus models?
Is that why he can't stand it? lol
Now I wonder the ride difference between RX350/RX450h.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about trading in my LS460 for RX450h