RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Would this be covered under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-14, 09:38 AM
titomang
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Would this be covered under warranty?

Hi,

My wife has a 2011 RX 350 w/ ebony interior purchased from a Lexus dealer about 8 months ago. It isn’t certified but has the original manufactures warranty and the extended warranty as well. For some reason all four door panels towards the bottom (where the pocket folds out) is brown/pinkish like the black trim color is fading or not painted correctly. You can really see it when the sun is directly hitting it. Just think of it as a black shirt that has been washed many times. I just noticed it the other day while taking the RX out for some errands.

All the cars that I’ve owned I have never dealt with a warranty claim so this is new to me. I wanted to know if I went to the nearest Lexus dealership and have them take a look at it, would they be able to help me out? I would love to go to the dealer I bought it from but it’s a 2 hour drive so I’ll have to settle for the nearest one near me. Anyone else w/ ebony interior with this problem? I will try and take pictures and post them up.

TIA,

Bruce
Old 04-16-14, 10:56 AM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt cosmetic issues would still be warranted.

Send the dealer apical instead of driving two hours.

John
Old 04-16-14, 12:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Bruce, it would help if you could post pictures. Like John said, cosmetic issues are not covered unless it's a defect.
Old 04-16-14, 01:17 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by titomang
Hi,

My wife has a 2011 RX 350 w/ ebony interior purchased from a Lexus dealer about 8 months ago. It isn’t certified but has the original manufactures warranty and the extended warranty as well. For some reason all four door panels towards the bottom (where the pocket folds out) is brown/pinkish like the black trim color is fading or not painted correctly. You can really see it when the sun is directly hitting it. Just think of it as a black shirt that has been washed many times. I just noticed it the other day while taking the RX out for some errands.

All the cars that I’ve owned I have never dealt with a warranty claim so this is new to me. I wanted to know if I went to the nearest Lexus dealership and have them take a look at it, would they be able to help me out? I would love to go to the dealer I bought it from but it’s a 2 hour drive so I’ll have to settle for the nearest one near me. Anyone else w/ ebony interior with this problem? I will try and take pictures and post them up.

TIA,

Bruce
I'd suggest you just take it to your dealer and show them as they just may cover it if it's not normal wear and tear.
Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Old 04-16-14, 07:11 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

If they don't cover it, I suspect someone used a harsh cleaner on the door panel and lightened the color on the hard plastic. I've seen this happen from first hand experience years ago, summer job, working at a car wash. I also recently experienced something similar on my IS's dash (my fault) but corrected it. Worst case, it should be correctable with the right product, you can restore the life of the panel yourself. See Post 18 onward of the thread below. Good luck and keep us posted.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ir-dash-2.html

Before:

After:
Old 04-16-14, 07:20 PM
titomang
Rookie

Here's what I mean. I tried to capture the best picture that shows it but it doesn't show as much as it does in person. I'm not sure if it's a defect or if it's wear and tear but it's on all four door panels.

Also, here are some photos of the wife's RX since I haven't posted any yet.
F sport wheels
LED fog lamps
Angular exhaust

Future mods: Full LED lighting, F sport bumper, 2013+ tail lights

Last edited by titomang; 04-16-14 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-16-14, 07:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ Very nice wheels

Hmm... Except for the perfectly square lighter section at the cupholder area, the other blotches look like improperly applied or fading out vinyl dressing aka "ArmorAll". The dressing fades out over time, that's normal.

Here's what I'd do. With a microfiber cloth and lightly soapy water, clean the plastic. I suspect the "ArmorAll" will come out and your plastic will look more uniform. I still find that perfect square strange and if that one still pops out, you can either ask your Lexus service rep or I'd try a restorer like "Black Chrome" I posted above. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-16-14, 08:30 PM
titomang
Rookie

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ Very nice wheels

Hmm... Except for the perfectly square lighter section at the cupholder area, the other blotches look like improperly applied or fading out vinyl dressing aka "ArmorAll". The dressing fades out over time, that's normal.

Here's what I'd do. With a microfiber cloth and lightly soapy water, clean the plastic. I suspect the "ArmorAll" will come out and your plastic will look more uniform. I still find that perfect square strange and if that one still pops out, you can either ask your Lexus service rep or I'd try a restorer like "Black Chrome" I posted above. Good luck and keep us posted.
Come to think of it. When we left the dealer after the detail, I did notice the area was pretty shiny. I didn't know ArmorAll dressing would cause that. I'll try what you suggested and report back. Thanks for the help. I'll get some better pix up after detailing the car.
Old 04-17-14, 07:04 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Suggest you go back to the detailer for a remedy and not even bother with Lexus trying to fix as they should tell you no, not their responsibility.
Old 04-17-14, 08:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Let's hope it wasn't Armor All. That stuff is awful. I'd recommend washing everything down like corrado suggested. Black interior can fade over time, for example when it's exposed to sunlight. That's why it's important to use something with UV protection. But since the affected areas are on the bottom of the door, chances are it's wear or improperly applied product. The inside door pocket seems to have been missed. Please keep us updated.
Old 04-17-14, 10:12 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Let's hope it wasn't Armor All. That stuff is awful. I'd recommend washing everything down like corrado suggested. Black interior can fade over time, for example when it's exposed to sunlight. That's why it's important to use something with UV protection. But since the affected areas are on the bottom of the door, chances are it's wear or improperly applied product. The inside door pocket seems to have been missed. Please keep us updated.
Agree with using a UV protectant product like 303 Aerospace.