RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why would someone want to turn AFS off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 03:18 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why would someone want to turn AFS off?

This could pose as a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyways: Why would someone want to turn AFS off?
It's a feature meant to help you see better at night and I can't think of any reasons why someone would want to disable the feature.
Old 04-02-14, 03:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

You do realize AFS was dropped on the RX so a few people won't know what you're talking about. And a few others probably didn't know AFS could be turned off.

One reason I could think of is to lessen the likelihood something will go wrong with the headlight. They're more expensive to replace than non-AFS headlights. Or maybe because they just don't add much. The headlight only moves 5% on the driver side and 15% on the passenger side. That's not much. I keep AFS on. Auto high beam, on the other hand, is off.
Old 04-02-14, 04:05 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
You do realize AFS was dropped on the RX so a few people won't know what you're talking about. And a few others probably didn't know AFS could be turned off.

One reason I could think of is to lessen the likelihood something will go wrong with the headlight. They're more expensive to replace than non-AFS headlights. Or maybe because they just don't add much. The headlight only moves 5% on the driver side and 15% on the passenger side. That's not much. I keep AFS on. Auto high beam, on the other hand, is off.
I'm planning on buying a 2015 RX as soon as they come out. I assumed they still had the AFS as it worked great for me living in an area of twisting and turning roads. It seems every time I buy a new RX it has less features then the previous RX.

In what year did they drop the AFS feature ?

Thanks for all your input,
Carl
Old 04-02-14, 04:19 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz

Same here, I find the high beams utterly point less. I was driving in a very foggy mountainous area I found the high beams to "distort" the view more. And I don't think anything should go wrong, this is a Japanese car not a German one .
Old 04-02-14, 06:06 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Carl, AFS was dropped beginning with the 2013 RX. I know that's not what you want to hear. But there's been a few new features introduced on the 2015 that might make losing that feature easier. In case you haven't seen it, click here for the official announcement from Lexus listing all the details.
Old 04-02-14, 06:17 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE the automatic high beams. There are many dark roads and it adjusts faster than I can!
Old 04-02-14, 06:18 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
Same here, I find the high beams utterly point less. I was driving in a very foggy mountainous area I found the high beams to "distort" the view more. And I don't think anything should go wrong, this is a Japanese car not a German one .
That would be because you are not supposed to use your high beams in fog conditions. That was part of Driving 101 when I learned to drive in PA many decades ago. This is also Basic Physics 101. Headlights are required to be on when driving in fog, however, you should NEVER use the high beams. The light will only reflect/refract in the mist back at you.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/eng99319.htm

This is what fog lights are for. They are low to the ground as there normally is a gap between the road surface and the fog itself for these lights to be effective. Also, they should be yellow(ish) in color. The wavelength of the yellow light helps in providing the necessary lighting without being reflected/refracted down the road as the light spreads out.
Old 04-02-14, 06:31 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

AFS is just more things that can easily break and costly to replace..im glad they got rid of it. id take the LED DRL over AFS any day!
Old 04-02-14, 07:02 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
That would be because you are not supposed to use your high beams in fog conditions. That was part of Driving 101 when I learned to drive in PA many decades ago. This is also Basic Physics 101. Headlights are required to be on when driving in fog, however, you should NEVER use the high beams. The light will only reflect/refract in the mist back at you.

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/eng99319.htm

This is what fog lights are for. They are low to the ground as there normally is a gap between the road surface and the fog itself for these lights to be effective. Also, they should be yellow(ish) in color. The wavelength of the yellow light helps in providing the necessary lighting without being reflected/refracted down the road as the light spreads out.
Exactly, my Fog light setup
3000k - Fog season
5000k- normal season
Old 04-03-14, 07:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Carl, make sure the 2015 has HIDs to begin with.
Lexus has been dropping this feature from many RXs, which comes as an unpleasant surprise to many new owners after they take delivery of their vehicles. That's a much bigger bummer than AFS.
Old 04-03-14, 07:40 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I barely notice when AFS is on really. Situation has to be 'right' for me to remember I even have it. "Oh wow, headlights moved". Doesn't do much for me.

As someone said, more moving parts so more risk of something breaking. When warranty goes, so will this feature.
Old 04-03-14, 09:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

The value of AFS is limited but obviously some people really like it. Like I said, I keep mine on. I had AFS on the 330 too. No problems in six years. I did have the headlights replaced due to condensation. I was told they ran about $2-2.5K a piece. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for it. I don't want to know what LED headlights with AFS would cost

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
I barely notice when AFS is on really. Situation has to be 'right' for me to remember I even have it. "Oh wow, headlights moved". Doesn't do much for me.
Sometimes the headlight will swivel into the side view mirror of the car in front of me on twisty roads. Oops!
Old 04-03-14, 10:55 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I love AFS...I can see it working all the time, and it looks especially cool when the car starts in the dark and the RX 'looks around'. I'm very disappointed to see this removed from the newer models and I am hoping to see it return for the 4RX.
Old 04-03-14, 11:08 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
I love AFS...I can see it working all the time, and it looks especially cool when the car starts in the dark and the RX 'looks around'. I'm very disappointed to see this removed from the newer models and I am hoping to see it return for the 4RX.
Turn off the AFS, may be the auto leveler in the headlights doing the looking around. Worth an experiment.

But yeah if you see it working all the time on the road while driving, then kudos. Here in NYC, it's always so bright that you rarely see your headlights bounce off anything. Very cool when I do see because I literally forget about it that quickly. Just not useful enough to keep on after the warranty is up. Wouldn't have thought of it before today but now after giving it some thought, I'd be the one person to give a response as to why I'll turn it off after the warranty is up.
Old 04-03-14, 12:48 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

AFS works the same way as light leveling, and light leveling is always working when the headlights are on. This is a Toyota we are talking about. Being out of warranty should not be a big concern. My IS300 has been running strong for 11 years now, with light leveling, and all. The only warranty problem I had was with the suspension sensor that came loose and needed replacement.

Quick Reply: Why would someone want to turn AFS off?