RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX kinda boring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-14, 07:33 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Oh i see,
But still what's 90/ day x 5 = $450 plus tax. VS getting into a car that you don't like.

Unloading the RX, Eventhough it has great resale value will cost you at least $3,000.

I honestly think, an Audi Q5 or better yet a Porsche Cayenne addresses your needs better than the RX.
You're right and on that same note the Audi SQ5 is really catching my attention. But we all know German cars are like models, nice to look at but a pain to maintain.
Old 04-01-14, 07:37 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^ well said
Old 04-01-14, 07:50 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^ well said
Haha thanks.
Old 04-15-14, 10:55 AM
korlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMO you get bored with your car no matter what you drive if you drive it everyday.
I've driven 6 different cars in my 20's and some of them were called by people "what do you do for living?" type of cars. I still got bored with them after owning them for 2-3 years. The most enjoyable car you can drive or own is that something reliable because those fancy car owners will envy you because their fancy cars cost them money like crazy. THEN you will appreciate your car even more.
Old 04-15-14, 10:59 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by korlexus
IMO you get bored with your car no matter what you drive if you drive it everyday.
I've driven 6 different cars in my 20's and some of them were called by people "what do you do for living?" type of cars. I still got bored with them after owning them for 2-3 years. The most enjoyable car you can drive or own is that something reliable because those fancy car owners will envy you because their fancy cars cost them money like crazy. THEN you will appreciate your car even more.
Very true, I can surely tell you that my Lexus has been good to me so far compared to the other cars that I have owned.
Old 04-15-14, 11:01 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Sometimes, a Unicorn comes along. I've had my manual IS300 for 11 years now. It still puts a smile on my face.
Old 04-15-14, 11:05 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been eying some of the other competitor SUV's as my lease is ending in June. But none of the vehicles has the options that I really like on my 2010 RX. Heck, not even a 2014 RX could lure me in at this point. I'm liking my auto high beams and my rainsensing wipers too much to give them up. Plus, the car has been wonderfully troublefree as far as reliability goes! Strongly considering just buying my RX when the lease is up.
Old 04-16-14, 11:51 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Sometimes, a Unicorn comes along. I've had my manual IS300 for 11 years now. It still puts a smile on my face.
If I like a car from the moment I see it and drive it, I too find the feeling is still there even 10 years down the road.

Ray A.
Old 04-17-14, 05:03 PM
korlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
Very true, I can surely tell you that my Lexus has been good to me so far compared to the other cars that I have owned.
B7 and Aston Martin..
sooo
What do you do for living?
Old 04-17-14, 05:16 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Summer night, sitting at a red light, radio very low, mild engine rumble is the real music. Windows all down & it's open from front to rear. Elbow hanging out on the door edge. Skinny 3 spoke wheel in one hand, horseshoe auto. shifter handle in the other. Looking out through a very narrow wind shield at a very long hood. Thinking about my high school days as I had one just like it, years ago.
No other traffic around.
Green light.
Gently tap the throttle, get it going without breaking the rear end loose. Once rolling, put the pedal to the floor. Secondaries go to wide-open instantly. Engine gets up to about 3500 RPM before the 1 - 2 shift. Dual exhaust really helping it breath, you can hear the 4 barrel carb. sucking in air with a low moan.
1-2 shift comes with a bark from the rear tires. Nose slightly up, tach. really starting to climb. Engine fully into it's power band now, really screaming ! Slight rubber smell in the air. Get up to about 40MPH & let off. Glide home. Into the garage, shut it off, still smell a trace of rubber in the air. Darn tach. stuck at 3500 again. Give it a tick with my index & it settles back to 0.

"Where have you been ?"
"Oh, just out running an errand. "
"Should have taken the Lexus, it needs gas."
"Old car was getting dusty, thought I'd put a couple miles on it".

The RX is a very nice car. She drives it for the most part, I drive an F150.
Boring ? Not at all.
Elegant transportation, reliable & efficient, doing what we bought it for.

Now, compare the RX to my old Buick, whole other story.
Old 04-17-14, 07:38 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

B7 and Aston Martin..
sooo
What do you do for living?
Haha I own a bunch of retail stores around Toronto and it's surrounding areas.
Old 04-17-14, 08:14 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
Summer night, sitting at a red light, radio very low, mild engine rumble is the real music. Windows all down & it's open from front to rear. Elbow hanging out on the door edge. Skinny 3 spoke wheel in one hand, horseshoe auto. shifter handle in the other. Looking out through a very narrow wind shield at a very long hood. Thinking about my high school days as I had one just like it, years ago.
No other traffic around.
Green light.
Gently tap the throttle, get it going without breaking the rear end loose. Once rolling, put the pedal to the floor. Secondaries go to wide-open instantly. Engine gets up to about 3500 RPM before the 1 - 2 shift. Dual exhaust really helping it breath, you can hear the 4 barrel carb. sucking in air with a low moan.
1-2 shift comes with a bark from the rear tires. Nose slightly up, tach. really starting to climb. Engine fully into it's power band now, really screaming ! Slight rubber smell in the air. Get up to about 40MPH & let off. Glide home. Into the garage, shut it off, still smell a trace of rubber in the air. Darn tach. stuck at 3500 again. Give it a tick with my index & it settles back to 0.

"Where have you been ?"
"Oh, just out running an errand. "
"Should have taken the Lexus, it needs gas."
"Old car was getting dusty, thought I'd put a couple miles on it".

The RX is a very nice car. She drives it for the most part, I drive an F150.
Boring ? Not at all.
Elegant transportation, reliable & efficient, doing what we bought it for.

Now, compare the RX to my old Buick, whole other story.
Steve,
Your prose is almost poetic. Your imagery is beautiful. I felt like I was there.
Ray A.
Old 04-17-14, 08:32 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It might be somewhat boring, but good lord I love it.
Old 04-18-14, 05:46 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the kind words.
I look forward to late April/early May as friends & I dig the old cars out of a storage barn not far from here. I currently have the old Buick up for sale but occasionally have second thoughts. Don't use it much any more since we started boating. Racked up a grand total of 250 miles on it last year.
I was just trying to express that most everything we do is relative to another. No cup holders in it either.
In Summer months, when I can drive it, EVERYTHING ELSE seems rather boring.

Taking nothing away from the Lexus, it's a much better car relative to the Buick as new. 40 years of technology goes a long way.
Starts every time, plenty of torque, it stops & turns very well. Plenty of creature comforts.
Straight line run the Buick will win every time. Start turning & stopping quickly the old girl is in trouble.
Attached Thumbnails RX kinda boring?-dscn3467.jpg  
Old 04-18-14, 06:36 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm with you, SteveCraig. Have had my Chevelle since new. Could never part with her.

Quick Reply: RX kinda boring?