RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX kinda boring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-14, 08:41 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Before i buy a car, i try to rent it first.
That way i can abuse it.
AVIS Especially the one at LAX have a huge inventory of premium cars.
You can rent a BMW X3 or X5 for a week or even a month.

THIS way, i don't have the sales person to worry about and i can bring the car to my regular commute.

With the RAV4 EV, i rented one for $49/day.
I signed the papers the next day, that's how impressed i was with the ride and the instant torque.

Another option, if you can't rent, borrow from a friend or an office mate.
Old 03-31-14, 09:35 PM
mjhdo1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove just about everything and all of the finalists more than once. I just kept coming back to the RX. I had expected to like several other vehicles much more than I ended up actually liking them, even some I really wanted to like more. Didn't have that problem with the RX though - every drive I fell for it more and more.
Old 03-31-14, 09:47 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I like the RX. Personally not a fan of anything that's FWD but it has a stable smooth ride, good visibility, even the old ones don't look dated and stupid yet, and they are very simple to operate, and to demo for customers. The RX is a very straightforward SUV. It's easy to understand, there are no surprises and there rock solid.
Old 04-01-14, 10:12 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I love my boring, vanilla 3RX. I must agree though I thought my 1RX did ride smoother than my current 3RX.
Old 04-01-14, 10:51 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes. As most Toyotas, it is boring. It is built on the wrong platform (FWD), with a weak AWD system. Engaging to drive, it is not.

Sometimes, I do not understand why Toyota did not build it on the GS platform.
I am going to guess, because of the original RX. It should not be a surprise that they used their most cost-effective platform, which happens to be underpinning the Camry, and used it as a basis to offset the development cost.

As Camry has proven many times over, most of the population does not care how the car drives, as long as it gets them comfortably from point A to point B and does not break along the way. So, the RX was, and still is, a huge success.

I call It the couch on wheels. It is comfortable and is a great place to rest.
It is our family hauler, so it fits the bill perfectly.

But, if this was my only vehicle, I would be going out of my mind. I was stuck driving it last summer, while I was working on my DD IS300. I was so glad to get my RWD sedan back on the road, for those times when I'm driving alone.

P.S.
Even small kids realize how boring the RX is. Mine always say they want to ride in the Daddy's car.
Old 04-01-14, 11:03 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

@ vlad_a test drive a RAV4 EV. Im willing to bet it will leave your IS from a stop light.
I somewhat agree, with your generalization about toyota but there are exceptions.
Scion FRZ AND The RAV4 V6 ( discontinued).

I never got bored with the FJ cruiser ( discontinued) 4runner and especially the Land cruiser.
Old 04-01-14, 11:08 AM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

is the RAV 4 EV that fast? what is its 0-60 time do you know?
Old 04-01-14, 11:14 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sc400
is the RAV 4 EV that [/URL]? what is its 0-60 time do you know?
It's the instant torque. 273 ftlb available at 0rpm.
0-60 around 6 seconds. ( sport mode)
Remember, the RAV4 EV is Tesla on a toyota body.

My friends with 328 and 528 are happy to stand corrected.

Fast forward to 7:20 for the short driving review

Fast forward to 5:00 for driving review

Last edited by markrivers; 04-01-14 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-01-14, 12:01 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Before i buy a car, i try to rent it first.
That way i can abuse it.
AVIS Especially the one at LAX have a huge inventory of premium cars.
You can rent a BMW X3 or X5 for a week or even a month.

THIS way, i don't have the sales person to worry about and i can bring the car to my regular commute.

With the RAV4 EV, i rented one for $49/day.
I signed the papers the next day, that's how impressed i was with the ride and the instant torque.

Another option, if you can't rent, borrow from a friend or an office mate.
I would've done that but not many places rent the cars I own. Furthermore if they do they'd charge $90 plus a day to rent.
Old 04-01-14, 12:27 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dat dude
I would've done that but not many places rent the cars I own. Furthermore if they do they'd charge $90 plus a day to rent.
Oh i see,
But still what's 90/ day x 5 = $450 plus tax. VS getting into a car that you don't like.

Unloading the RX, Eventhough it has great resale value will cost you at least $3,000.

I honestly think, an Audi Q5 or better yet a Porsche Cayenne addresses your needs better than the RX.
Old 04-01-14, 01:18 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
@ vlad_a test drive a RAV4 EV. Im willing to bet it will leave your IS from a stop light.
I somewhat agree, with your generalization about toyota but there are exceptions.
Scion FRZ AND The RAV4 V6 ( discontinued).

I never got bored with the FJ cruiser ( discontinued) 4runner and especially the Land cruiser.
Yeah, but throw it into a turn, and things will be very different.
I do love electric cars though. That's the reason I have the 450h and had a Prius before.
If Tesla still made the $57K base model, I would consider it as my next vehicle.

Scion FRS is about as close as a replacement for the IS300 that Subaru made for Toyota.

I don't know about Rav4 V6. It is still FWD-based. In this case, I would rate the RX above the Rav4.

I used to own a 4Runner and loved it. If they still made one with a manual box, then it would be in the garage instead of the RX.
Old 04-01-14, 01:28 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Yeah, but throw it into a turn, and things will be very different.
I do love electric cars though. That's the reason I have the 450h and had a Prius before.
If Tesla still made the $57K base model, I would consider it as my next vehicle.

Scion FRS is about as close as a replacement for the IS300 that Subaru made for Toyota.

I don't know about RavV6. It is still FWD-based. In this case, I would rate the RX above the Rav4.

I used to own a 4Runner and loved it. If they still made one with a manual box, then it would be in the garage instead of the RX.
We had a 2011 toyota Prius ( got traded for the RAV4 EV). Im telling you the difference is night and day.
You're right it's the Scion FRS which is basically a Subaru BRZ.
Anyway, if Elon Musk can keep his promise of a $40,000 electric. The Tesla model E. Then most people can try an 100% Electric.
Old 04-01-14, 02:10 PM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course its boring. Its a Lexus AND an SUV.
But its comfy, reliable and they sell a zillion of them for a reason.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think SUVs are supposed to be SUVs. I stll think one of the most ridiculous cars on the road in the Porsche SUV. If you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche. If you want an SUV buy an SUV. People think they are getting the best of both worlds; a performance car AND the utility of an SUV! What could be better?

But in reality they get the worst of both worlds.An lousy SUV and an oversized not-very-sporty sports car.

Its not that I don't understand why Porsche, BMW and the "performance car" makers have them in their lineup; Amercians love SUVs. They buy a lot of them and they have fat profit margins for the automakers. I get it. But rather than spending $100k on a Cayanne maybe spend $40k on a decent SUV and $60k on a decent sports car rather than a half-baked mixture of the two.

So yeah the RX is pretty boring, but that's what its supposed to be and apparently thats what its buyers want.
Old 04-01-14, 02:46 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ejm3
Maybe I'm in the minority but I think SUVs are supposed to be SUVs. I stll think one of the most ridiculous cars on the road in the Porsche SUV. If you want a Porsche, buy a Porsche. If you want an SUV buy an SUV. People think they are getting the best of both worlds; a performance car AND the utility of an SUV! What could be better?
I will agree with you on this. Yes, SUVs should be SUVs. Perhaps my definition of an SUV is a bit different than most. An SUV is 4WD/AWD with dual-range capabilities. The GX and LX are SUVs. The RX is a tall luxury wagon, IMO.
Old 04-01-14, 03:45 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The RX is an LUV. I could swear that was on the sticker of my 330's owner manual leather case. And it fits. AWD (but not for off roading), plenty of space for people and cargo, wrapped in luxury However, to the state DMV, your RX might be something else. Mine says the 450h is a wagon! How demoralizing!

Quick Reply: RX kinda boring?