RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX kinda boring?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-14, 01:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by greeknasty
Haha..vanilla..
Vanilla is the number one selling flavor of ice cream. The RX is the number one selling vehicle in the Lexus line up. Like I said, vanilla sells. Besides, you can mix vanilla with other ingredients to make something more to your liking -- like chocolate syrup, nuts, candy bar pieces, etc. Or, in the case with the RX you can tack on a few upgrades and make the F-Sport. Still a vanilla base, however, enough of a change for many folks.

Anita, so I do not forget about you and your RX450h, I guess that would be French Vanilla.
Old 03-30-14, 01:37 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

haha oh i agree..i just found it funny the way you thought it out
Old 03-30-14, 02:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I like rainbow sprinkles with my vanilla ice cream

You know back in 1998 when the RX first came out, it didn't look like anything else out there. It was after all the first luxury SUV. I caught a picture in I believe it was the April 1998 Car and Driver magazine. My first thought? Let's just say it was not love at first sight. I thought the RX was butt ugly literally. But you know those tail lights grew on me and made the RX IMO. I was sad to see them go on the 3RX. Gaining the hidden rear wiper, USB port (finally), push button start, remote touch and other things helped make up for it. One thing's for sure, the RX has changed. Each gen has been been unique IMO. I'd hardly call that boring.
Old 03-30-14, 05:03 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boring is highly underrated
Old 03-30-14, 05:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL
Vanilla is the number one selling flavor of ice cream. The RX is the number one selling vehicle in the Lexus line up. Like I said, vanilla sells. Besides, you can mix vanilla with other ingredients to make something more to your liking -- like chocolate syrup, nuts, candy bar pieces, etc. Or, in the case with the RX you can tack on a few upgrades and make the F-Sport. Still a vanilla base, however, enough of a change for many folks.

Old 03-30-14, 07:18 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RX330inFL

Anita, so I do not forget about you and your RX450h, I guess that would be French Vanilla.
Haha very smart. But I like my ice cream to already come with my favourite toppings.
Old 03-30-14, 09:25 PM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by greeknasty
haha oh i agree..i just found it funny the way you thought it out
Just an old prophet. I find it easier sometimes to speak in pseudo-parables to get a point across.
Old 03-31-14, 06:00 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Mr. dat dude, I feel a bit sorry for you. You bought an RX, but the suspension is too harsh for you, and now the RX is boring. Something tells me you didn't take a test drive before you bought, which can be a BIG mistake. Anyway, perhaps you really need to consider a different vehicle.

We drove our 2010 RX on a 30 mile test drive, 1/2 freeway & 1/2 rural roads before we bought. We're quite happy and content with our RX. It is no more boring than any other luxury car or SUV that coddles you and isolates you from the environment. It's not as smooth riding as our 2008 ES350, nor can we take it off-road like our new 4Runner Trail Edition. It's just fine as it is, thank you.

Last edited by RickC5; 03-31-14 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-31-14, 07:53 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RickC5
Mr. dat dude, I feel a bit sorry for you. You bought an RX, but the suspension is too harsh for you, and now the RX is boring. Something tells me you didn't take a test drive before you bought, which can be a BIG mistake. Anyway, perhaps you really need to consider a different vehicle.

We drove our 2010 RX on a 30 mile test drive, 1/2 freeway & 1/2 rural roads before we bought. We're quite happy and content with our RX. It is no more boring than any other luxury car or SUV that coddles you and isolates you from the environment. It's not as smooth riding as our 2008 ES350, nor can we take it off-road like our new 4Runner Trail Edition. It's just fine as it is, thank you.
You'd be right I never test drove it before I bought it. I originally test drove an F-sport and I liked it, I assumed it drove the same but I was so wrong.
Old 03-31-14, 08:41 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dat dude
You'd be right I never test drove it before I bought it. I originally test drove an F-sport and I liked it, I assumed it drove the same but I was so wrong.
Rule #1: Never Assume

https://xkcd.com/1339/
Old 03-31-14, 09:42 AM
2010morx
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rule # 2 never buy a vehicle without a test drive
Old 03-31-14, 12:41 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dat dude
Just trade it then.
There's no point paying for a car you can't live with.
Old 03-31-14, 01:41 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Just trade it then.
^^^^^ I couldn't agree more. Get rid of it ASAP before it depreciates further as you add more miles.

Dump it for something you like, but for sure next time: TAKE A LOOONG TEST DRIVE before you sign any paper! That was a HUGE mistake, IMHO.

That said, even a long test drive may not uncover faults that show up later. We once bought a new 2007 Honda Element (yeah, I know) that seemed OK on the 30 mile test drive, but it was really a horrible trip vehicle--noisy & uncomfortable for anything over about 50 miles. Plus, after 6 months it developed many squeaks & rattles. We only owned it for 7 months.
Old 03-31-14, 03:12 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by markrivers
Just trade it then.
My parents use the car frequently. Plus I own 20+ retail stores and some of them aren't in the best areas. I use the Lexus when I go as I don't care for it much as I do my other cars.
Old 03-31-14, 08:04 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This can even happen with test drives. The stress of analyzing whether to drop 50K can make being totally objective not so easy. Also, look out for tires with low pressure, etc.

Plus, on my test drive, I cannot remember feeling any bumps. But, my bad, some of the drive was late in the day and it was dark, another factor. So, whether there simply were no what I call "expansion joint jolts" or the stress of the above "cancelled them out".

So, really, more than one test drive would not be the worst idea ever.

Quick Reply: RX kinda boring?