RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bad day for my wife's rx

Old 03-25-14, 02:33 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Glad to hear your wife is okay.

So apparently, from the photos, in the war of RX vs Corolla, nobody wins...

Best of luck to you.
Old 03-25-14, 03:49 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Sounds like the cop issued the wifey a ticket more to please the Corolla owner since it was a rear end collision. Two days owning the car though, ouch...
Old 03-25-14, 04:12 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Hmm, don't some states have a buyer's remorse period to return the car?
Old 03-25-14, 05:02 PM
spraymastR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look here this is easy make sure u take it to Lexus collision center!
Now here is where it will get tough the paint is a 3 stage pearl when this is sprayed
In solvent base paint it is tough to match ! But if u can find a shop that shoots water
Base paint ! I recommend and highly recommend standoxs water as the best out
There! If not when it's done look close in the clear and see if u can see white
Splatter spots where they blended !!! Look CLOSE! I hoped I helped with the
Paint ! Sparymaster!
Old 03-25-14, 09:33 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow, that hurt my eyes just looking at the damage. Im glad to hear your wife is ok.
Old 03-25-14, 10:42 PM
vip..me
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spraymastR
Look here this is easy make sure u take it to Lexus collision center!
Now here is where it will get tough the paint is a 3 stage pearl when this is sprayed
In solvent base paint it is tough to match ! But if u can find a shop that shoots water
Base paint ! I recommend and highly recommend standoxs water as the best out
There! If not when it's done look close in the clear and see if u can see white
Splatter spots where they blended !!! Look CLOSE! I hoped I helped with the
Paint ! Sparymaster!
the car is currently at Sterling McCall a local lexus dealership , I know a white pearl is very hard to match, especially with metal to plastic transitions in the body so hopefully they do a great job.

Originally Posted by RXSF
Hmm, don't some states have a buyer's remorse period to return the car?
lol

Originally Posted by yardie876
Sounds like the cop issued the wifey a ticket more to please the Corolla owner since it was a rear end collision. Two days owning the car though, ouch...
spoke with allstate today and they seem to also agree that the other party should be at fault , well find out soon . keeping my fingers crossed still
Originally Posted by JDR76
thanks

Best of luck to you.
by the looks of it , the corrolla is prolly totaled, rear doors looked to be pushed in and quarter panel would need to be cut and replaced i think it would be 80% of the cars value in repair and labor cost
Old 03-25-14, 10:49 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76

Best of luck to you.
Both drivers walked out ok.
That's a Win in my book.
Old 03-26-14, 08:45 AM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Good thing the Corolla driver got the tag for unsafe lane change. Otherwise, the fault would lie with the Lexus because the person doing the rear-ending is usually at fault, unless, as in this case, it's unavoidable. I hate it when I get cut off then the person cutting me off hits the brakes. Jeesh!
Ray A.
Old 03-26-14, 09:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The area of damage is not the result of your typical rear end collision. The cop obviously recognized that. It just sucks because the blame should be on the other driver. I hope it goes in your wife's favor. Please keep us posted.

Last edited by kitlz; 03-26-14 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-26-14, 09:59 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
The area of damage is not the result of your typical rear end collision. The cop obviously recognized that. It just sucks because the blame should be on the other driver. I hope it goes in your wife's favor. Please keep us posted.
If every driver follows the 4 car distance ( between you and the car infront of you), then this accident might not have happened.
Another avoidance manuever is using the shoulder, if you think your brakes can't stop you fully.

But then again, we're not present during the accident.
Old 03-26-14, 10:20 AM
RX330inFL
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
If every driver follows the 4 car distance ( between you and the car infront of you), then this accident might not have happened.
Try that in many areas and you will get two vehicles trying to squeeze into that spot.
Old 03-26-14, 10:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Another avoidance manuever is using the shoulder, if you think your brakes can't stop you fully.

From vip's description:

the other party (was ticketed) for illegal lane change and crossing a double white line.
It wasn't the classic failure to maintain a safe distance' or being inattentive. And damage is only to the quarter panels on both vehicles. That's what I based my comment on. You're right, we weren't there. Other factors might have come into play that we don't know about. There's no reason to ask for a full blow by blow detail though. It's bad enough but hopefully will get better soon.
Old 03-26-14, 01:50 PM
vip..me
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From vip's description:

It wasn't the classic failure to maintain a safe distance' or being inattentive. And damage is only to the quarter panels on both vehicles. That's what I based my comment on. You're right, we weren't there. Other factors might have come into play that we don't know about. There's no reason to ask for a full blow by blow detail though. It's bad enough but hopefully will get better soon.
Gecko his insurance company called and said they will not be accepting , waiting on my insurance company now. not sure why when the other party made a unsafe lane change and had half of his car in one lane and the other half in a double white lane

the accident occurred on the entrance ramp to the beltway (very similar to a highway )but there our 2 lanes one lane is eztag and the other is a cash/pay lane divided by a small v shape are clearly painted in white paint and is not an authorized area. I'm guessing since his car was so new he forgot that he no longer had eztag and decided at the last second to switch to the pay lane, there were cars already backed up in the pay lane , so he was unable to make a full lane change with half of his car in the white area and half of his car in the eztag lane. no shoulder area is available since it is an entrance lane . So to me it seem clear who would be at fault , would ya agree ?

thank you

Originally Posted by raylor4
Good thing the Corolla driver got the tag for unsafe lane change. Otherwise, the fault would lie with the Lexus because the person doing the rear-ending is usually at fault, unless, as in this case, it's unavoidable. I hate it when I get cut off then the person cutting me off hits the brakes. Jeesh!
Ray A.
his insurance called and will not be accepting liability, trying to get a hold of the police report as we speak
Old 03-26-14, 02:10 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the additional infomation.
And im familiar with EZ TAgs, we used them when we were living in the North East.
Anyway, isn't the speed limit, when coming to a beltway, is something like 30 or even 25 mph or less.
Based on the damage, either your wife wasn't able to put the brakes right away OR
She was going faster than the posted speed limit?
That could have been the rationale for her ticket.

Anyway,
You make your insurance go after the other party. ( especially if you want your RX to be fixed ASAP)
That's how you do it.
You don't deal with the other party's insurance directly.
They will just make you go on circles and waste your time.

Your wife getting the ticket is hurting you case right now.
Knowing insurance companies, they use every legalese to pay the minimum amount possible.

So, be prepared for that.

Last edited by markrivers; 03-26-14 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-26-14, 02:16 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow that's shocking. I have a feeling they did not review all the details of the accident. If he crossed a double white line, he's obviously wrong. I hope this doesn't turn into an ugly back and forth between the insurance companies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad day for my wife's rx