RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Request a Tire Change Before Delievery

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 05:45 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Request a Tire Change Before Delievery

I read here there are tires installed on the RX350 that are cheap or ride rough,
Bridgestone comes to mine.
I do wish when I ordered my '012 I would of requested different tires that are quiet.

Have any of you buyers of RX350 requested different tires to be change by the dealership before
driving it off the lot??

Thoughts!
Old 03-17-14, 06:59 PM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
I read here there are tires installed on the RX350 that are cheap or ride rough,
I do wish when I ordered my '012 I would of requested different tires that are quiet.

Have any of you buyers of RX350 requested different tires to be change by the dealership before
driving it off the lot??

Thoughts!
Ain't gonna happen. OE are michellins. Plus the tires on the car are brand new. They aren't going to waste them just because you don't like them.
Old 03-17-14, 09:11 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN

driving it off the lot??

Thoughts!
I tried to do that.
But all their stock have the same brand of OEM Tires.
Old 03-18-14, 01:59 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Nothing is out of the possibility when it comes to sell a vehicle. OEMs are not Michelin as you can also get Dunlop or Bridgestone. I prefer the Michelins but have read several threads where people were not happy with them.

I did find that you can find you best price on tire replacement and my local Lexus dealer will match the price.
Old 03-18-14, 06:44 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

My car originally had the Dunlops on them. After reading horrible reviews of them I asked about swapping them for the michelins. They charged me $160. Wasn't bad considering that the Dunlops were rated the worst tire in that size according to tirerack.com. The only problem is that the michelins are also horrible in my opinion. Immediately after purchasing the car I went to discount tire and asked about getting different tires on the car and trading in the oem michelins. They said they would give me a trade in value of a few hundred dollars. I didn't do it but wish I had. After 11,000 miles the michelins have worn horribly and are very rough and choppy. I should have gotten money for them when I could have and traded up to bridgestones or continentals. If your car comes with Dunlops I would try to get the dealer to swap them for free. If they try to charge you I would save the money, trade them in at discount tire for some extra cash toward decent tires. If it comes with michelins (mine had the michelin latitude hp tour, which I hate), you could try them for a little while to see what you think. For me they did horribly in wet, ice, and snowy conditions, and wear out fast, despite my mundane driving. Either way, I am horrified that most lexus Rxs come with only these two choices, which are universally rated very poorly.
Old 03-18-14, 11:11 AM
PeteInGilr
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought my RX350 in January and paid $100 to swap out the Bridgestone's for Michelins.
Old 03-18-14, 01:36 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by viperdoc
My car originally had the Dunlops on them. After reading horrible reviews of them I asked about swapping them for the michelins. They charged me $160. Wasn't bad considering that the Dunlops were rated the worst tire in that size according to tirerack.com. The only problem is that the michelins are also horrible in my opinion. Immediately after purchasing the car I went to discount tire and asked about getting different tires on the car and trading in the oem michelins. They said they would give me a trade in value of a few hundred dollars. I didn't do it but wish I had. After 11,000 miles the michelins have worn horribly and are very rough and choppy. I should have gotten money for them when I could have and traded up to bridgestones or continentals. If your car comes with Dunlops I would try to get the dealer to swap them for free. If they try to charge you I would save the money, trade them in at discount tire for some extra cash toward decent tires. If it comes with michelins (mine had the michelin latitude hp tour, which I hate), you could try them for a little while to see what you think. For me they did horribly in wet, ice, and snowy conditions, and wear out fast, despite my mundane driving. Either way, I am horrified that most lexus Rxs come with only these two choices, which are universally rated very poorly.
This is so hard to understand why they would do this. Like getting a super duper preamp/receiver and really crappy speakers. Makes NO sense. Better tires = better overall experience = MORE SALES. Now Lexus please pay me one million dollars for a consulting fee
Old 03-18-14, 02:46 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CapeDave
This is so hard to understand why they would do this. Like getting a super duper preamp/receiver and really crappy speakers. Makes NO sense. Better tires = better overall experience = MORE SALES. Now Lexus please pay me one million dollars for a consulting fee
I totally agree here.
Old 03-18-14, 05:39 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
All OEM tires are cheap and terrible.
Old 03-18-14, 06:20 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Yep. How can you be any car company and seem not to know anything about the tires you put out on the car??? It's not even like they chose reasonably good tires. They chose the ones that were rated horribly through apparently impartial testing. I guess I could understand Kia or Suzuki auto makers going for the cheap ones that barely get the job done, but lexus?
Old 03-18-14, 07:09 PM
tak06
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the OE Michelins with 22,500 miles with Hankooks, the difference is astounding, the Michelins were rough & choppy, road noise was unacceptable and steering feedback was poor. That rather inexpensive AS R07 Hankook's I bought from D.T.D. with Lumarai wheels completely transformed driving experience, road noise has disappeared, handling and steering feedback has improved, ride has smoothed out, should have done it sooner. (265/45/20's mounted)
Old 03-19-14, 02:37 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Great to know tak06. I am getting new wheels and tires in the next two weeks and need to decide on both fairly quickly. I had been going off of tirerack ratings, but I don't remember them testing any hankooks.
Old 03-19-14, 04:51 PM
tak06
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you go to the Discount Tire Direct website there are several reviews for the AS R07 Hankooks:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...65&ar=45&rd=20

Here's the Lumarai rims at D.T.D.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...il.do?pc=67973

Keep in mind I used 20mm H&R spacers in conjunction with the rims. I love these Lumarai's they are Lexus Hubcentric and use OE nuts and center caps as well.

Viperdoc, I digress, but I'm assuming you own a Viper? As a owner of a C5Z check out the C7 Z06 coming early '15

http://www.chevrolet.com/2015-corvet...-supercar.html

Last edited by tak06; 03-19-14 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-19-14, 06:41 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tak06
If you go to the Discount Tire Direct website there are several reviews for the AS R07 Hankooks:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...65&ar=45&rd=20

Here's the Lumarai rims at D.T.D.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...il.do?pc=67973

Keep in mind I used 20mm H&R spacers in conjunction with the rims. I love these Lumarai's they are Lexus Hubcentric and use OE nuts and center caps as well.

Viperdoc, I digress, but I'm assuming you own a Viper? As a owner of a C5Z check out the C7 Z06 coming early '15

http://www.chevrolet.com/2015-corvet...-supercar.html
Sadly no. I don't own a dodge viper. I have used this name on forums because I have been a doctor for f-16 pilots. The official name of that plane is the fighting falcon, but anyone who has ever flown in it calls it the viper. At the time it was the only screen name I could come up with and I have used it since. Haven't flown in it for a while though.
Old 03-19-14, 06:43 PM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Plus if I we're to choose one, I would not buy the viper. The z06 is way more my cup of tea!

Quick Reply: Request a Tire Change Before Delievery