RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Do you use Manual shifting option on your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-14, 06:52 AM
Juni14Ayal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you use Manual shifting option on your RX?

Hi all.

I bought my RX 2010 one year ago today, and I Have taken my Lexus to dealer for services since I first bought it.
My question is, being that I also own a 2006 Acura TSX, when I switch to manual shifting, I notice that the Lexus will not shift down back to first gear (1), if I come to a stop, like the Acura would do.
Is this normal? Have any of you faced this or is this normal for The Lexus RX 350 model?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

thank you, good day all!

Jose
Old 03-16-14, 07:08 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't own an rx, but i had an rx loaner before and that was normal for the sport shift mode.

I find it better (or more fun), when I am able to shift to my desired gear. Otherwise, in my opinion, the sport shift mode is pretty useless if it shifts when it wants regardless in full automatic mode, or sport shift.

-Sky
Old 03-16-14, 09:18 AM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The number that shows in the "S" mode is not necessarily the current gear you're driving in. It indicates the highest gear you've allowed the vehicle to achieve - so its not really a manual mode, its a gear limiter indication.

When you come to a stop, the number may show "4" but you're actually in 1st with 4th being the highest it will go if you speed up again. You could always pull the shifter back until it counts down to 1 and limit it to 1st when you start moving again, then shift up as you see fit.

I use the "S" mode for passing of the freeway and I'll shift down before I do it. Its faster than punching the throttle because there's a lag between stepping on the gas and the kick-down that the car will do before accelerating
Old 03-16-14, 01:23 PM
Juni14Ayal
Driver School Candidate

thanks for feedback, 07LexusGuy. At least I know I don't have a tranny issue.
Old 03-16-14, 01:41 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Descending Hills

Good info and description from 07LexusGuy.

I typically use the shift-able mode as I believe it was primarily intended, and that is for engine braking while descending hills. Too many folks are clueless and solely use their brakes to control their speed on descending grades. By downshifting into the proper gear, the engine can do a good portion of the work for you and save those brakes.

StillLine
Old 03-16-14, 02:36 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
The number that shows in the "S" mode is not necessarily the current gear you're driving in. It indicates the highest gear you've allowed the vehicle to achieve - so its not really a manual mode, its a gear limiter indication.

When you come to a stop, the number may show "4" but you're actually in 1st with 4th being the highest it will go if you speed up again. You could always pull the shifter back until it counts down to 1 and limit it to 1st when you start moving again, then shift up as you see fit.

I use the "S" mode for passing of the freeway and I'll shift down before I do it. Its faster than punching the throttle because there's a lag between stepping on the gas and the kick-down that the car will do before accelerating
+1
Suggestion to forum moderator, THIS post should be a sticky.
Old 03-16-14, 02:53 PM
websailor
Rookie

Not yet, but that is because we are new Lexus users and we are still going through the six inches of manuals. The low gear is so far down on the list of things to know! I still haven't used the cruise control because we've only taken it on a freeway twice so far.

Last edited by websailor; 03-16-14 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-16-14, 10:21 PM
Seeker4
Driver School Candidate

I use "S" mode primarily for controlling maximum speed when driving in low speed areas, like those with 25 mpg limits. I will sometimes use it when I need to creep through a parking lot or other area where slow speed is important, though generally prefer to use EV mode in those situations.

I don't see any advantage in using it for engine braking with a hybrid, as regenerative braking can be used to recharge the traction battery.

I have no experience with long descents with this car yet, so not sure whether I will find a use for "S" mode there.
Old 03-17-14, 03:39 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

I use the paddle shifters on the steering wheel to drop down a gear or two on my RX to accelerate. It takes a good bit of foot pressure, sometimes, to get it to drop a gear or two and I find doing it manually is much better for me.
Old 03-17-14, 06:26 AM
2010morx
Rookie

Originally Posted by StillLine

I typically use the shift-able mode as I believe it was primarily intended, and that is for engine braking while descending hills. Too many folks are clueless and solely use their brakes to control their speed on descending grades. By downshifting into the proper gear, the engine can do a good portion of the work for you and save those brakes.

StillLine
The engine braking is key when in snowy conditions.
Old 03-17-14, 08:03 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

To me, it is nothing more than a gimmick. My DD is a real manual, so simulating some manual functionality on an auto box is just nowhere near the same. Plus, 450h has no gears where 2 out of 3 electric motors on the AWD are permanently attached to the driving wheels.
I could see forcing more engine-braking (which will also induce energy regeneration on the 450h) while going on a long downhill.

Last edited by vlad_a; 03-17-14 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-20-14, 08:24 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Seeker4
I use "S" mode primarily for controlling maximum speed when driving in low speed areas, like those with 25 mpg limits. I will sometimes use it when I need to creep through a parking lot or other area where slow speed is important, though generally prefer to use EV mode in those situations.

I don't see any advantage in using it for engine braking with a hybrid, as regenerative braking can be used to recharge the traction battery.

I have no experience with long descents with this car yet, so not sure whether I will find a use for "S" mode there.
Seeker,
When you have the pleasure of driving over the Rocky or Sierra mountains, you will appreciate engine braking. 40-50 miles of downhill will amaze you. At night, you can see the big-rig truck brakes glowing. Yikes!
Ray A.
Old 03-21-14, 05:48 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by StillLine

StillLine
+1. I also only use this "feature" for engine braking on long downhill descents. We have several of those between here & Denver.
Old 03-21-14, 08:19 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
To me, it is nothing more than a gimmick. My DD is a real manual, so simulating some manual functionality on an auto box is just nowhere near the same. Plus, 450h has no gears where 2 out of 3 electric motors on the AWD are permanently attached to the driving wheels.
I could see forcing more engine-braking (which will also induce energy regeneration on the 450h) while going on a long downhill.
Automatic or manual as long as it has gears I am good. The CVT was one of the things I liked least about my short ownership of the 450h.
Old 03-21-14, 09:38 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
Automatic or manual as long as it has gears I am good. The CVT was one of the things I liked least about my short ownership of the 450h.
Yes, we know. Linear acceleration.

Quick Reply: Do you use Manual shifting option on your RX?