RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Body Side Moldings (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 04:27 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side Rail Protection

This really bugs me when I see all the new vehicles, (not only Lexus),
without some kind vinyl side protection on doors.

It makes all these units look plane and cheap and all in the name of style while we pay $$$$$$
to purchase new units just to add them as a after market option.

We're all paying more and receiving less..........
Old 04-11-14, 04:38 PM
txes
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not the manufacturer's responsibility to protect us from door dings. Most customers don't want them.

Myself... I opted to install them on the wife's new RX. I don't have them on my ES.

John
Old 04-12-14, 09:47 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nanook
Thanks but actually it's my wife's...this is my paultry ride
Your wife definitely has better taste than you!
Old 04-14-14, 08:19 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Prior to getting my RX350, I always had the side mouldings on my cars. However, they never did any good. I always got dings above or below the moulding. The body side mouldings can work. But there are so many different vehicles with different door heights that it's impossible to ensure the moulding will protect against a door ding. Since my previous vehicles weren't protected by them, I opted to not get them on my RX350. I like the look without the mouldings better.
Old 04-14-14, 08:47 AM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Ditto!
Old 04-14-14, 09:29 PM
vince22
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

not for me, looks old school in my opinion plus its easier to clean without side moulding.
Old 04-15-14, 08:01 PM
TREE1006
Driver School Candidate

Default Side guards

I don't know where you bought your cars..I just bought mine last week rx350 new 2014..I had the door edge guards put on and the body side mouldings...and in the front I made them add on the clear plastic on the front bumper and hood....I told them I would not close the deal unless I had all three...I paid 100 dollars..for all three....car looks really nice...Now I wonder if anyone knows where I can get some nice car mats that don't smell like rubber...or have rubber. I have rubber/latex allergy..thanks
Old 09-01-14, 09:34 AM
RXRunner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Side Mouldings

I read through various posts on installing the body side mouldings. Having Sewell Parts available to check out pricing and the installation instructions was very helpful. I decided to have my dealer install them after reviewing the instructions and not wanting to purchase the various preparation chemicals and have them setting around after one installation. Also if I make a mistake it is on me to fix it. My dealer was similar as several of the earlier posts. Parts price was $132.76 and $90 for installation. I had a $10 coupon from my dealer for any repair or service. $212 + tax was fine with me. My dealer gave me a loaner for the day. I like the looks of the mouldings and as per the survey if it stops 30% of door dings it will be worth it.
Attached Thumbnails Body Side Moldings (merged threads)-mldg-rh2.jpg  
Old 09-03-14, 06:29 PM
happycampe
Driver School Candidate

I ordered the parts from Sewell and it cost me $50 to ship it to Hawaii but the dealer wanted $400 to do it so it was worth the high shipping costs. I used rubbing alcohol instead of the recommended 3M prep solvent that can only be purchased in commercial quantities. I actually like the looks of the Sewell mouldings better than the older version that is bigger and wider. These are supposed to be OEM parts but I've not seen these thinner/pointier mouldings on any RX350s in my area but mine, and the pics of the owners that self-installed here.
Old 11-23-14, 07:23 PM
doc307
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RXRunner
I read through various posts on installing the body side mouldings. Having Sewell Parts available to check out pricing and the installation instructions was very helpful. I decided to have my dealer install them after reviewing the instructions and not wanting to purchase the various preparation chemicals and have them setting around after one installation. Also if I make a mistake it is on me to fix it. My dealer was similar as several of the earlier posts. Parts price was $132.76 and $90 for installation. I had a $10 coupon from my dealer for any repair or service. $212 + tax was fine with me. My dealer gave me a loaner for the day. I like the looks of the mouldings and as per the survey if it stops 30% of door dings it will be worth it.
After seeing your picture I will probably go ahead and buy them for the RX I just got last weekend. Having black, I am very concerned with door rubs. Yours looks good.
Old 11-23-14, 10:14 PM
rodblder44
Driver School Candidate

Default bsm

Originally Posted by doc307
After seeing your picture I will probably go ahead and buy them for the RX I just got last weekend. Having black, I am very concerned with door rubs. Yours looks good.
just got a new black F sport this week and had the dealer throw in the side moldings, look nice, HATE door dings............

love the black!!!
Old 02-01-15, 12:52 PM
mkspear32
Driver School Candidate

Default Side body molding

Has anyone installed side body molding on there RX? My 2014 RX350 doesn't have them and I feel I may get some door dings without them. Also is there any place to buy them that is cheaper than from the dealer?

TIA
Mike
Old 02-01-15, 01:08 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, Mike. Congrats on your 450h. This topic along with many others have been discussed before. Here is one of the threads talking about the side molding and where you can get them. If you install them yourself, you can save money. Sewell, one of the CL vendors, carries them for $98.40 plus shipping. Register with them for the discount. They also have instructions on their website.
Old 02-01-15, 01:15 PM
mkspear32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Welcome to CL, Mike. Congrats on your 450h. This topic along with many others have been discussed before. Here is one of the threads talking about the side molding and where you can get them. If you install them yourself, you can save money. Sewell, one of the CL vendors, carries them for $98.40 plus shipping. Register with them for the discount. They also have instructions on their website.
Thank you Anita! Very much appreciated. I'll have to do a better job of searching the forum next time.

Last edited by mkspear32; 02-01-15 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-01-15, 02:51 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them installed by the dealer on my new 2015 RX 350 when I purchased it a month ago. Through a bit of negotiation I got them to include them at no extra charge in the deal. I believe the price with installation would have been $330, so the price through Sewell Lexus Parts is a much better deal. As previously stated, be sure to sign up for an account on their website for the discounted prices.
One note, in the instructions it says something about using a type of 3M solvent, which is difficult to find and only available in gallon quantities (expensive too). Isopropyl alcohol will work as well for cleaning the surface before attaching the adhesive backed moldings.
Be careful if installing them yourself because once you stick them to the vehicle they are next to iompossible to remove a re-position.

Quick Reply: Body Side Moldings (merged threads)